Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,887,297 Views | 43964 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
CincyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First look at a new alien!

Video in link. http://www.totalfilm.com/news/first-look-at-alien-in-star-wars-episode-vii
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
omg omg omg it's tatooine!
AliasMan02
AG
Don't we already have Chinese Stereotype Alien? Maybe this is more Tibetan.
brents1975
Very cool!!
Legal Custodian
AG
Another look at the new alien

TCTTS
AG
The best thing about that character? No CGI.

When was the last time we saw practical puppet/animatronic aliens, in any movie?

Love it.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Looks like something from the labyrinth
keithd03
Looks like a smaller version of "The Nothing" from the Never Ending Story.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
How awesome. And that dude is probably going to be on screen for 5 seconds. JJ Abrams knows how to play to the fanbase with his little updates.
Red Five
AG
quote:
The best thing about that character? No CGI.
I would guess that was the entire purpose of the video. "Hey, remember that thing you hated so much from the prequels? Look, we're not doing that!"
BryanAggie2013
AG
Cool
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I would guess that was the entire purpose of the video.

Agreed.

And besides the character being an actual, physical presence that has weight and can be touched, what's also cool about effects like this is I'm trying to figure out exactly how it works, and that alone makes it more engaging. Is the whole thing animatronic? Or is there a guy inside, walking, with his torso up in the cages (assuming the latter)? When it comes to things like this, practical is just so much cooler, on every level.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
next picture he sends out should be jar jar binks being decapitated by a lightsaber.
Red Five
AG
quote:
Another look at the new alien

Is that a ****ing baby in that top cage? What the ****ing ****.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Awesome!
InnerCityAg
Great
howitzercannon
redline248
AG
Someone is post padding
howitzercannon
AG
I am genuinely excited to see these threads, and have nothing to do on my last day at work. I just don't have words to explain my emotions. So emoticons is all I got...
TCTTS
AG
Big news.

Straight off Godzilla's giant opening weekend, Gareth Edwards (Godzilla's director) is officially set to direct one of the Star Wars spinoffs, giving us the first concrete news on the non-saga movies...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-spinoff-hires-godzilla-706636

Still no word on which one it'll be, but rumors persist that the current options are either a Boba Fett prequel, a Han Solo prequel, a Yoda prequel (which may have been scrapped), or a Red Five movie. Whatever it is, expect it to hit theaters either summer or Christmas 2016. At least that's the plan as of now, but they'd need to settle on a script fairly soon, and be in pre-production ASAP to meet either one of those dates. But it's definitely possible, and that's what Disney is aiming for.

How crazy would it be if Episode VII hits December 2015, and then this movie follows six months after?

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 5/22/2014 7:27p).]
TCTTS
AG
Also of note, Edwards is set to direct this BEFORE Godzilla 2, so it's definitely on the fast track. If I had to guess, I'd say late summer 2016 for the SW spinoff, and then summer 2018 for Godzilla 2.

Just a few short weeks, and I'll be able to lay all these dates out for you guys properly, on a nice, clean, customizable site...
TCTTS
AG
Finally, gun-to-my-head, I'd bet that the first spinoff will be the Han Solo prequel, though I could be completely off. My only reasoning is that Ford apparently has a pretty big role in Episode VII, one that MIGHT prove fairly... eventful. So it'd make sense to potentially follow that movie up with a Han Solo-centric prequel movie. Kind of a "look back" honoring his character.

From what I understand, the Boba Fett movie isn't as far along, and the Red Five movie, if it even exists, is even further out. But again, I could be completely wrong. They may have another surprise up their sleeve that's not on anyone's radar.
TCTTS
AG
Wow, even more news breaking...

http://starwars.com/news/gareth-edwards-and-gary-whitta-onboard-for-star-wars-stand-alone-film.html

- The spinoff's writer is Gary Whitta, who wrote The Book of Eli and... After Earth. Hmmm.

- And we've got a release date: December 16, 2016. Looks like Disney is sticking with Christmas releases for now (though they've said they could switch back to May in the future). Avatar 2 is also set to release that month, but there's no way both movies release in December. Avatar is currently on-schedule, though I could see it easily getting pushed back, just like the first one did. May end up in summer '17.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 5/22/2014 7:51p).]
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Wow, even more news breaking...

- The spinoff's writer is Gary Whitta, who wrote The Book of Eli and... After Earth. Hmmm.

- And we've got a release date: December 16, 2016. Looks like Disney is sticking with Christmas releases for now (though they've said they could switch back to May in the future). Avatar 2 is also set to release that month, but there's no way both movies release in December. Avatar is currently on-schedule, though I could see it easily getting pushed back, just like the first one did. May end up in summer '17.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 5/22/2014 7:47p).]

If so, then this is the Fett movie, not the Solo one. Fett hunting a mark through a wilderness world full of monsters. Things get bad and the two (or Fett and another hunter, maybe) have to help each other survive. In the end, Fett exploits the newfound respect the target has for him and turns him into the Empire despite what they went through together.

Like a good version of Pitch Black, sort of.
TCTTS
AG
Rumor has always been that Lawrence Kasdan is writing the Boba Fett spinoff. No one knows for sure, though...
AliasMan02
AG
It could be something else, but no way is it the Han Solo movie. You don't being in a guy that only writes lone badass survivor/apocalypse stuff and get a director that exclusively works in the monster genre and then have them helm a Han Solo movie.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Edwards directing is fine.......Whitta writing the script is worrisome.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
You don't being in a guy that only writes lone badass survivor/apocalypse stuff and get a director that exclusively works in the monster genre and then have them helm a Han Solo movie.

Agreed. I made the Han Solo prediction before the writer was announced. Now thinking it's something completely new (at least I hope).

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 5/22/2014 8:13p).]
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Whitta writing the script is worrisome.

Yeah, he hardly has any credits, and they're all a very particular type. I don't know what to think. Maybe he IS writing the Boba Fett movie, who knows...
Ganondorf
AG
Lando Calrissian?

We had Denzel and Will/Jaden Smith in the 2 movies TCTTS listed.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Mace Windu
Bruce Almighty
AG
So this movie will be about a loner that travels through a post apocalyptic world that ends up getting chased by monsters the last 30 minutes of the movie. I don't know jack about the EU. Is there a story that comes close to that?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
So this movie will be about a loner that travels through a post apocalyptic world that ends up getting chased by monsters the last 30 minutes of the movie. I don't know jack about the EU. Is there a story that comes close to that?

Not that I can think of. I think it will be all new, though. Maybe incorporate some creatures or characters from the EU, but no stories.
gigemags-99
AG
quote:
Now thinking it's something completely new (at least I hope).

So, you're saying it's a New Hope?
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
next picture he sends out should be jar jar binks being decapitated by a lightsaber.

This has huge merit.

Do it as a public execution going on in the background of whatever scene. No real focus on it, just going on in the background. Pure awesomeness. Even better if two Ewoks are in the gallows with him.
First Page Last Page
Page 36 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.