Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,892,252 Views | 43966 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by maroon barchetta
SapperAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The worst thing was taking a human story and turning it into a techno extravaganza that sacrificed story and plot for bright colors and humor an infant finds too juvenile.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The guy who's been humping Godzilla's leg for 6 months is too high and mighty to watch Revenge of the Sith for a second time. Most I've laughed all week.
YellowPot_97
AG
lol
YellowPot_97
AG
quote:
The worst part about the prequels was the directing. He took amazing, quality actors, and made them seem like they were reading their lines

this
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
The guy who's been humping Godzilla's leg for 6 months is too high and mighty to watch Revenge of the Sith for a second time. Most I've laughed all week.

Why? Godzilla is a brand new movie. We don't know how it's going to be, but the previews certainly look fun if nothing else. New blockbusters are exciting for the anticipation.

The Star Wars prequels have already been established as total garbage. Why would he need to watch them again?
TCTTS
AG
quote:

Wow, you've already seen Godzilla? How was it?

Seriously, though, adding to what SP said, why is it that some of you lump all these big popcorn movies together like this? Because I'm too "high and mighty" (a phrasing I can't stand) for the prequels, I can't look forward to Godzilla? Have you seen the names involved with the movie, both in front of and behind the camera? It's quality all around. But most importantly, it looks like something made for adults. Or at the very least, NOT made for nine-year-olds, which is who the prequels were directed at.

In trying to put me down for no good reason, your overgeneralization just comes across as cheap and condescending.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 5/6/2014 9:13p).]
COOL LASER FALCON
The fact that TCTTS is looking forward to Godzilla is probably a pretty good indicator that he's not high and might or snobby.
AliasMan02
AG
Back to Darth Plagie for a moment, hopefully he is tangential or rewritten, if he is actually in it. He's seriously the most boring Sith ever.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Darth Plagueis is one of the best novels of the EU. Great background of Palpatine, Plagueis, Dooku, Qui-Gon Jinn, etc.

Godzilla was pitch perfect and Spielbergian.

TC, you gotta stop taking yourself so seriously. You've established yourself on the Entertainment Board as the guy who likes to be first and the guy who likes to be right.

There's nothing wrong with either one of those things. But occasionally people are going to bust your balls about it; it is, after all, the Internet.

Sorry if I offended you with my high and mighty comment. As soon as I hit submit the first time, I knew I was dooming myself to a snappy, well-thought out comeback.

Much like a young Bill Paxton in Predator 2, I've learned my lesson - the door swings both ways.

TCTTS
AG
quote:
TC, you gotta stop taking yourself so seriously.

Trust me, I do not, in any way, shape, or form, take myself "so seriously" on this board. Some of you guys project this belief onto me that I give two sh*ts about being right or first on an internet message board. There are times when I like to argue or debate, sure, but it has nothing to do with having to be right. It's because I love discussing movies. Maybe a little too much.

And people bust my balls here on nearly a daily basis. I'm beyond used to it. Doesn't mean I'm not going to counter or retort back when they do. Just the simple fact that you've memorized two buzz words I've used in random, recent posts (one of which was quoted from another source) says more about where you're coming from than it does me.
InnerCityAg
I hope they come out and show that the force ghosts were not real and were fabricated by Plagious to enact revenge on Sidious.
TCTTS
AG
In all honesty, I've never been a huge fan of the whole Force ghost thing. Actually wouldn't mind something along those lines.
redline248
AG
What's wrong with the force ghosts, other than ret-conning Hayden in as one of them?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
If it wasn't for Force Ghosts, Luke would have likely not blown up the Death Star, nor know where to go to train with Yoda, nor known who his sister was.
YellowPot_97
AG
I really question why some of you say you like Star Wars. the force is too powerful, lightsabers too powerful, force ghost need to be done away with, 4 out of the 6 movies are garbage, etc. how can you call yourself a fan if you don't like most of the story or most of what makes Star Wars, Star Wars?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It really makes me laugh when some people call the prequels absolute garbage but don't find anything wrong with the original trilogy.

ROTJ had more than its fair share of faults, as did the prequels, but they're all still Star Wars.

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 5/6/2014 11:56p).]
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
It really makes me laugh when some people call the prequels absolute garbage but don't find anything wrong with the original trilogy.

Dumbest argument I've ever seen for the prequels.
InnerCityAg
quote:
If it wasn't for Force Ghosts, Luke would have likely not blown up the Death Star, nor know where to go to train with Yoda, nor known who his sister was.

That is exactly my point. What if Plavious knew that was the only way to destroy Sidious? He fabricated the force ghosts because he knew it was the only way to kill Sidious? .... which happened.
TCTTS
AG
I think I'd like the idea of Force ghosts better if the "rules" were maybe a little clearer. What, exactly, are they? Are they "alive"? Do they still have human emotions? Where do they go when they're not manifesting themselves in human form? It just kind of seems like they're exactly the same as they were when they were alive, only now they can move through physical objects.

I would obviously never want any kind of expositional breakdown, and I COMPLETELY realize that any more explanation than what we already have would be reaching midichlorian territory, but I just don't quite grasp the concept. It just seems like a weird conceit Lucas came up with in the 70s, and now we're stuck with it. I'm all for Obi-Wan being able to "speak" to Luke from beyond the grave, it's just manifesting as a human-ghost that I think is kind of dumb. Then again, I get why Lucas did it from a cinematic standpoint. Luke can't just talk to thin air. Still, it's just weird to me.

quote:
I really question why some of you say you like Star Wars. the force is too powerful, lightsabers too powerful, force ghost need to be done away with, 4 out of the 6 movies are garbage, etc. how can you call yourself a fan if you don't like most of the story or most of what makes Star Wars, Star Wars?

It's the characters and the sense of adventure. The original trilogy has great characters/great adventure in spades, the prequels don't. It's that simple. And I don't have to like every single aspect of every single movie to enjoy the franchise as a whole. The Force is awesome. But when it's used excessively, it loses it's luster. I love lightsabers. But when they're too powerful, they get kind of ridiculous. Obi-Wan being able to commune with Luke after death is really cool. But Obi-Wan being an actual, "walking" hologram-looking human makes me scratch my head when I really think about it. As I literally just said in another thread, why is it always so all or nothing with some of you guys? I can totally love the original trilogy and hate the prequels. Just because I enjoy the overall idea/spirit of the Star Wars franchise, and what it stands for in general, doesn't mean I have to love every single movie and every single aspect.

quote:

I don't think anyone here who has critiqued the prequels has said the original trilogy is flawless. Yet another over-generalization pegged to those who refuse to make excuses just because it's "all still Star Wars."

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 5/7/2014 12:36a).]
InnerCityAg
quote:
I think I'd like the idea of Force ghosts better if the "rules" were maybe a little clearer. What, exactly, are they? Are they "alive"? Do they still have human emotions? Where do they go when they're not manifesting themselves in human form? It just kind of seems like they're exactly the same as they were when they were alive, only now they can move through physical objects.

I would obviously never want any kind of expositional breakdown, and I COMPLETELY realize that any more explanation that what we already have would be reaching midichlorian territory, but I just don't quite grasp the concept. It just seems like a weird conceit Lucas came up with in the 70s, and now we're stuck with it. I'm all for Obi-Wan being able to "speak" to Luke from beyond the grave, it's just manifesting as a human-ghost that I think is kind of dumb. Then again, I get why Lucas did it from a cinematic standpoint. Luke can't just talk to thin air. Still, it's weird to me.

quote:

It's the characters and the sense of adventure. The original trilogy has great characters/great adventure in spades, the prequels don't. It's that simple. And I don't have to like every single aspect of every single movie to enjoy the franchise as a whole. The Force is awesome. But when it's used excessively, it loses it's luster. I love lightsabers. But when they're too powerful, they get kind of ridiculous. Obi-Wan being able to commune with Luke after death is really cool. But Obi-Wan being an actual, "walking" hologram-looking human makes me scratch my head when I really think about it. As I literally just said in another thread, why is it always so all or nothing with some of you guys? I can totally love the original trilogy and hate the prequels. Just because I enjoy the overall idea/spirit of the Star Wars franchise, and what it stands for in general, doesn't mean I have to love every single movie and every single aspect.

quote:

I don't think anyone here who has critiqued the prequels has said the original trilogy is flawless. Yet another over-generalization pegged to those who refuse to make excuses just because it's "all still Star Wars."

See, this guy gets it. The force ghosts themselves become a collective overused aspect of "the force". Why not throw a ***** in the armor of Star Wars lore?
InnerCityAg
Really staff? ***** in the armor is a common phrase.
txagman1998
AG
The Neimoidians of the Trade Federation would be offended.
SapperAg
AG
Inner city, you need to watch your mouth. The correct phrase is "a Chinese person in the armor."
Ag Since 83
AG
I find myself agreeing with TCTTS. I've seen the prequels a few times, but wouldn't be surprised if I never watch them again. I'm still a huge Star Wars fan though.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I think if the prequels are judged on their own without comparison to the originals, they are probably better than most people give them credit for. They suffer from the Godfather 3 syndrome. Viewed individually, they are really not that bad, but when viewed as part of an entire story, that's when problems occur. If The Phantom Menace came out when it did and episodes 4-6 never existed, people wouldn't call it garbage. The prequels may be the most disappointing movies of all time, but they are far from being among the worst movies ever made.
SapperAg
AG
Episode 1 would be lumped in with Transformers if it stood alone. Near special effects. Worthless to offensive on every other point.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
I think if the prequels are judged on their own without comparison to the originals, they are probably better than most people give them credit for. They suffer from the Godfather 3 syndrome. Viewed individually, they are really not that bad, but when viewed as part of an entire story, that's when problems occur. If The Phantom Menace came out when it did and episodes 4-6 never existed, people wouldn't call it garbage. The prequels may be the most disappointing movies of all time, but they are far from being among the worst movies ever made.

Lies. All lies.

Kidding, but in a vacumn the prequels are bad.

Bad plots and bad acting. The worst part is that almost all of them ARE good actors.
redline248
AG
quote:
The force ghosts themselves become a collective overused aspect of "the force"

How are they overused? Obi-Wan shows up for maybe 5 mins of total screen time as a ghost, and Yoda and Anakin for 6 seconds.
redline248
AG
quote:
I hope they come out and show that the force ghosts were not real and were fabricated by Plagious to enact revenge on Sidious

By the way, this is the stupidest thing posted on this thread.
TXAG 05
AG
People would hate the prequels even if they had been the best movies ever made. They had no chance of living up to the unprecedented hype and expectations leading up to their release.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:

How are they overused? Obi-Wan shows up for maybe 5 mins of total screen time as a ghost, and Yoda and Anakin for 6 seconds.

It's just a little Deus Ex Machina.
BarryProfit
quote:
People would hate the prequels even if they had been the best movies ever made. They had no chance of living up to the unprecedented hype and expectations leading up to their release.

That's not true. If they were decent movies they'd be respected, hell everyone WANTED to like them they were just too terrible.
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's just a little Deus Ex Machina.

How so? I don't remember the ghosts doing anything particularly useful.
Ulrich
quote:
Really staff? ***** in the armor is a common phrase.

It was also the title of an ESPN article... about Jeremy Lin.

The prequels were bad. I have a lot of tolerance for Star Wars and bad movies, and the prequels were bad. Wooden, boring, shiny, bad. I still watch them occasionally and enjoy parts, but I'll often doze off watching the prequels.
AliasMan02
AG
Not to defend the prequels, but there were a few redeeming moments. The duel between Qui-gon, Obi-wan, and Maul was great, even though the ending was weak.

Finally seeing Order 66 was cool, as was watching Vader slay all of the children.

Yes, they were terrible, but at least we got a little bit out of them.
First Page Last Page
Page 30 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.