Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,887,619 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 50 min ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm really glad some of you aren't in charge of naming these movies. I'm not over the moon for "The Ancient Fear," but "Dark Side of the Force" sounds just as generic and obvious as "The Order of the Jedi." Literally any of the movies could have been named "Dark Side of the Force."
redline248
AG
VI could have then been called return of the balance of the force
Rudyjax
AG
Ancient fear is fear of jedis.
Red Five
AG
quote:
I'm really glad some of you aren't in charge of naming these movies. I'm not over the moon for "The Ancient Fear," but "Dark Side of the Force" sounds just as generic and obvious as "The Order of the Jedi." Literally any of the movies could have been named "Dark Side of the Force."
I thought he was taking a jab at Transformers 3.
TCTTS
AG
Star Wars Episode I: The Politics of the Force
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Force
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Force
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Force
Star Wars Episode V: The Sway of the Balance of the Force
Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Balance of the Force
Star Wars Episode VII: Dark Side of the Force
jeffk
AG
quote:
I'm really glad some of you aren't in charge of naming these movies. I'm not over the moon for "The Ancient Fear," but "Dark Side of the Force" sounds just as generic and obvious as "The Order of the Jedi." Literally any of the movies could have been named "Dark Side of the Force."I thought he was taking a jab at Transformers 3.

Ding, ding, ding.

[This message has been edited by jeffk (edited 5/6/2014 11:08a).]
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I thought he was taking a jab at Transformers 3.

Ha, may be so.
TCTTS
AG
Speaking of the Force, I'm 100% on board with this...

http://screencrush.com/star-wars-episode-7-force/
TCTTS
AG
Back to the title, I also just read that The Ancient Fear is literally the opposite of A New Hope. Didn't think of that before. Don't know if that makes it better or worse. Either way, again, who knows if it actually ends up being real or not.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 5/6/2014 11:18a).]
Prime0882
AG
Star Wars Episode VII: The Ancient Fear - Where A NEW JEDI ORDER makes contact with an ancient race that they fear, the Yuuzhan Vong, and the Jedi and New Republic have to fight an enemy that seemly are not a part of the Force.

Han and Leia's kids get all angsty, Luke loses his influence with the new Jedi Order he created, Lando makes out like a bandit with droids, and Chewbacca wrestles a moon. MAKE THIS HAPPEN... I may be a little bummed that the EU is now totally kaput.

Outside of the original trilogy, the books fleshed out the universe in awesome ways. Hope they at least pull a little from it.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Speaking of the Force, I'm 100% on board with this...

http://screencrush.com/star-wars-episode-7-force/

When I run Star Wars RPGs I don't allow Jedi for this very reason. In fact, the latest RPG basically ignores Jedi, though they will be picked up later.

So, the author is not alone in his feeling.
Red Five
AG
quote:
Star Wars Episode VII: The Ancient Fear - Where A NEW JEDI ORDER makes contact with an ancient race that they fear, the Yuuzhan Vong, and the Jedi and New Republic have to fight an enemy that seemly are not a part of the Force.

Han and Leia's kids get all angsty, Luke loses his influence with the new Jedi Order he created, Lando makes out like a bandit with droids, and Chewbacca wrestles a moon. MAKE THIS HAPPEN... I may be a little bummed that the EU is now totally kaput.
First of all, I love the NJO whole-heartedly. It was amazing. Second of all, no. Just no. This would never be done right without first establishing any of the 90% of characters involved who exist nowhere but the EU. Of all the hopes of seeing the EU translated to the big screen, this one is by far the least feasible.
Prime0882
AG
^ You're completely correct that it could never be pulled off in a manner that would do the source material justice. Just some nostalgia on my end and wishing that the EU gets some nods here or there. I've read about 85% of all the EU stuff that occurred post RoTJ and, other than the X-Wing series, that one was by far the best.

I do think the Vong would be an interesting enemy in the movies, but it would probably end up pretty campy compared to how they were portrayed in the books. At least Wraith squadron with the Ewok and Gamorrean X-Wing pilots need to be included.

[This message has been edited by JRC0811 (edited 5/6/2014 11:39a).]
TCTTS
AG
A reminder/sliver-of-hope for all you EU folk...

http://www.latino-review.com/news/clearing-up-star-wars-expanded-universe-rumors
redline248
AG
That author seems to be upset that the Jedi at the height of their power were, in fact, powerful. As I'm sure most are aware, the force was subtle (and not known about by so many) in Star Wars b/c there were at the time only 4 people who knew jack squat about it. 2 were in hiding, 1 was probably pretty secretive still, and Vader probably didn't have to use it much, other than having to choke a b_tch. When would Han have ever witnessed someone using the force? By the end of the originals it was pretty apparent that the force was real and those who mastered it were powerful. Did anyone have a problem when Yoda levitated the X-wing? Or when Vader used the force to hurl things at Luke? Or when Palpatine shot lightning? Unlikely.

Even though it's possible the prequels did a horrible job portraying force use, I'm not even sure it was over the top there. The complaint about Anakin floating a fruit to try and sex up Padme I can understand...but it's more b/c those scenes sucked all around, not b/c the force was involved. Other than Yoda (the greatest Jedi alive) flipping around in 2 fights, what was so over the top in the prequels?

As to the next movie, depending on how much after Jedi it takes place, there should be Luke and some novice Jedi anyway. edit: just remembered the 30+ years after RotJ, so scratch this last bit.

[This message has been edited by redline248 (edited 5/6/2014 11:45a).]
TCTTS
AG
Good points, redline248. Still, I'd rather Force-use be minimal in these new movies compared to how it was depicted in the prequels.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 5/6/2014 11:44a).]
redline248
AG
The real problem with capturing the mystery from the originals is stuff from games like Force Unleashed where the guy pulls a Star Destroyer out of the sky, or the first animated clone wars where Mace is dropping force nukes on some droids by himself.
Sex Panther
AG
I know it's been discussed to death but the whole explanation of the Force as midichlorians or whatever was the worst thing this franchise has ever done. Completely erased the magic and imagination of the originals. Just awful...

Also, I have no idea what 90% of these posts are talking about.
Red Five
AG
I think your opinion on that matter probably depends on how much Star Wars you are willing to consume before you hit saturation. As a devoted EU nut, I'm used to being able to pick up a book or game to satisfy any SW-craving, force users or non force users or combinations of the two. If you think SW should stick to basically these next 3 films and then call it quits, I can understand wanting the Force to not overshadow other characters or aspects of the story. I personally am hoping for Disney to use the same template with Lucasfilm as Marvel has going- the SW cinematic universe, with flagship movie titles (SW), spin-off movies (the rumored Boba Fett and Han Solo movies? That was a thing right?), TV shows, Netflix originals, the whole 9 yards. So I'm ok with Ep 7 being Jedi-centric because I'm crossing my fingers that I finally get my X-wing series I've been praying for for over a decade.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
A reminder/sliver-of-hope for all you EU folk...

http://www.latino-review.com/news/clearing-up-star-wars-expanded-universe-rumors

I think that most EU elements used will be secondary characters, but especially locations if for no other reason than it keeps from stumbling over familiar territory. If you need a fringe system with a healthy independent streak, you might as well use Elrood. If you're going to go to Kessel, you might as well borrow from how it was described in the EU. If you ned a secret Imperial R&D outpost, you might as well use the Maw.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I know it's been discussed to death but the whole explanation of the Force as midichlorians or whatever was the worst thing this franchise has ever done. Completely erased the magic and imagination of the originals. Just awful...

Also, I have no idea what 90% of these posts are talking about.

I bet it never gets mentioned again. This is something else that Fantasy Flight has just outright removed from their game.
Rudyjax
AG
Seems to me unless dead obi won told Luke, no one would know about it.
redline248
AG
I imagine in an off screen conversation on the shuttle between Endor and the Death Star Vader tells Luke "I have more midichlorians in my blood than Yoda, you know."
Red Five
AG
If someone put together a show of 1-2 minute shorts of situations like that, I would watch. not going to lie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
If someone put together a show of 1-2 minute shorts of situations like that, I would watch. not going to lie.

You mean like Star Wars Robot Chicken?
AliasMan02
AG
"...and then my evil plan finally came to fruition, and they passed the procedural parliamentary act during the special session! Muahaha!"
-deleted scene where Palpatine explains the Dark Side to Luke in his throne room
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
I personally am hoping for Disney to use the same template with Lucasfilm as Marvel has going- the SW cinematic universe, with flagship movie titles (SW), spin-off movies (the rumored Boba Fett and Han Solo movies? That was a thing right?), TV shows, Netflix originals, the whole 9 yards.

Don't forget theme park.
Red Five
AG
quote:
You mean like Star Wars Robot Chicken?
No I meant something that was actually good.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
wow, i thought star wars robot chicken was one of the funniest things SW related I've ever seen.

Oh well, to each their own.
redline248
AG
I like the robot chicken stuff too. I also like the family guy star wars.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
i thought the family guy stuff went downhill after the first one, although they even made jokes about it that it was doing just that.

Red Five
AG
nah I wasnt being serious. I had actually forgot that existed when I made the comment about watching a show like that.
TCTTS
AG
EU fans, who is Darth Plagueis, as mentioned in the last paragraph of this story? I doubt they'd use him simply because most people (including myself) would have no idea how to pronounce his name, but his involvement in Episode VII is apparently a "slow-burning" rumor...

http://www.latino-review.com/news/we-know-the-real-star-wars-working-title

Also, it sounds as if The Ancient Fear likely isn't legit. AICN has a decent track record, but I'd trust Latino Review over almost anyone.
double aught
AG
C'mon man, Plagius was mentioned in Revenge of the Sith by Palpatine to Anakin at the opera. He talked about how he used the dark side to prevent death.

[This message has been edited by double aught (edited 5/6/2014 3:36p).]
Simplebay
AG
EU? Darth Plagueis is mentioned in Episode 3, not just the EU. The Opera Scene, the sith lord who trained Palpatine, who could apparently conquer death.
First Page Last Page
Page 28 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.