Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,886,012 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Urban Ag.
fig96
AG
quote:
Any other stories? Come on, we won't tell anyone.

None that I can do justice to in a forum post. But one may or may not have been an entertaining tale that involved the story of explaining to Lucas how Yoda would throw his lightsaber while jumping up and down on a couch with a mop handle in George's office.

Animators are lively folks.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
The Gungan/Droid battle was actually cheesier than the Ewok/Stormtrooper battle.

Have to disagree on this one. A bunch of teddy bears taking down the Empire's "best troops"? Come on.

(Still love ROTJ.)
AgMarauder04
AG
^
^
Especially considering that if the control ship hadn't gone down, the droids had actually DEFEATED the Gunguns.
Urban Ag
AG
True

But at least in the Ewok battle, some Ewoks died. Troopers and officers got shot, and stabbed, and had rocks dropped on them. The Ewoks smashed imperial implement with giant logs. Imperial troops actually screamed in their deaths. At the hands of friggin teddy bears with pointed sticks man!

The Gungan battle looked more like a Pixar movie than Star Wars. There was no grit to it.
BarryProfit
So prequels = that first chick that let you put it in her 2 hole?
fig96
AG
quote:
Have to disagree on this one. A bunch of teddy bears taking down the Empire's "best troops"? Come on.

(Still love ROTJ.)

Well, Mythbusters did prove that two giant trees smashing a scout walker was feasible, if not challenging.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
So prequels = that first chick that let you put it in her 2 hole?

After TPM I felt like Lucas put it in my 2 hole
BarryProfit
Ulrich
III > I > II

The gungan/droid battle was terrible... as Urban said perfectly: it looked like a Pixar movie. Ground warfare isn't supposed to be shiny and perfect and take place on a manicured lawn.

III was pretty bad, but at least it moved the story along.

TPM was indulgent setup that took up way too much time.

II could have been really good if they had not executed it so poorly. Spend 10-15 minutes telling the Anakin origin story (thereby getting rid of episode I), then flash forward to a 19-20 year old Anakin. Make him a darker personality caught in a web rather than a light personality being corrupted... he comes off petulant more than dark. Then you're all set for episode III to be really dark.

Of course, all this needs to happen with much better acting and directing... in spite of all the criticisms, I really think all three movies had the ingredients to be quite good with the right director. The casts were great, the special effects phenomenal, and the story lines salvageable.
double aught
AG
Personally, I'd rate the effects as the worst thing about the prequels. Every scene had the feel of being shot on a soundstage (which they were). The rare moments where there were real locations and objects were refreshing. You said yourself that the Gungan battle looked like it was from Pixar.
Hagen95
AG
Darth Maul and the pod race scene are the best things from TPM.
jeffk
AG
I remember being really impressed by the sound effects in TPM... not so much the visuals.
LawAg05
AG
Jar Jar Binks. Worst part of the prequels.
fig96
AG
The interesting comparison for me was between Episode II and Fellowship of the Ring, which came out within about six months of each other.

Episode II was epic in scale in some scenes but it still had that very digital look to it. LOTR, on the other hand, felt very tangible and real.

I've always thought that was primarily due to the use of more "bigatures" in LOTR, but there was actually more practical work than you realize in Episode II as well (on the Geonosis set in particular).
Ulrich
double aught, there is more than a little truth to that, but I think the talent was there.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
Those drawings are cool TC

Yeah those are pretty awesome.

Missed these earlier. Thanks, guys.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Especially considering that if the control ship hadn't gone down, the droids had actually DEFEATED the Gunguns.

The worst thing about this fight, in addition to everything else mentioned so far, is the trend it started of mother/control ship blowing up, robot/alien soldiers on the ground turning off right before defeating their enemy. It's such a cheap trick that has been used over and over again ever since, the latest iteration being the climax of The Avengers. Yes, Independence Day technically started the trend (unless there was something before it I can't remember), but at least it was just a shields-down kind of thing. We still had to fight. It wasn't until TPM took it to a ridiculous, cop-out level that everyone else started using it as well. I really, really hope we're finally done with this. Same goes for robot armies. If your movie has a robot army, you're not getting my money.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 2/11/2014 4:03p).]
Texags is garbage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi5jjXTPtyY

I remember damn near laughing out loud at this piece of acting in the theaters when I was 12. It's incredibly painful to watch to this day.
YellowPot_97
AG
quote:
If your movie has a robot army, you're not getting my money.

so, no on a new Terminator or the new X-Men?

[This message has been edited by YellowPot_97 (edited 2/11/2014 5:29p).]
TCTTS
AG
quote:
so, no on a new Terminator or the new X-Men?

I don't mind those so much because the robots ARE the main threat. In Terminator, "the machines" as a single entity ARE the villain.

Let me put it this way, in other words... if your movie features a human and/or alien villain who employs a giant army of generic robots, I'm out. I'm so incredibly sick of seeing this. No giant warehouses full of thousands of identical robot soldiers, no huge battle with thousands of identical robot soldiers. Basically, no plots that rely on thousands of generic, identical armies of any kind. I can't watch another frame of a villain's giant, home-grown / home-made army lined up at attention, ready for battle.
YellowPot_97
AG
quote:
I can't watch another frame of a villain's giant, home-grown / home-made army lined up at attention, ready for battle.

so, no on Hobbit 3 or any new Avatars?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Or any war movie, ever?
PatAg
AG
Gungan-droid battle awful, music amazing.
TCTTS
AG
Looks like something official is about to drop. These guys are in-the-know, especially Jeremy Smith of Ain't It Cool News...

https://twitter.com/DrewAtHitFix/status/433853065691549696

The 3 AM PST time is weird, though. That's just a little over three hours from now. If something does hit then, it definitely won't be casting news. Then again, big casting news almost always hits on Thursday. Maybe some kind of announcement material? Poster/trailer of some kind?

Either way, like I said, things are about to start heating up...
TCTTS
AG
No idea if legit, but if this is all it ends up being, lame...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 2/13/2014 1:47a).]
TCTTS
AG
Damn. Probably that Netflix thing...

Peter Sciretta ‏@slashfilm
Star Wars news coming in the early morning. I've heard it's not movie related.
redline248
AG
Well, that's at least good news for those of us that were watching that show.
Red Five
AG
Never been into Clone Wars, but ever since Disney/Marvel made their deal with Netflix for the 4 live action shows I have been holding out hope that we would see a similar arrangement with Disney/Lucasfilm. Anything that gets me an X-wing live action series. I literally dont care where it airs, just some one do it for the love of God.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:

I need to go back and watch. I think I only got through about 2-3 seasons. Some pirate bounty hunter type was the last thing I remember.
YellowPot_97
AG
quote:
Red Five
AG
I never watched it before, but I will definitely watch it now that its all going to be on Netflix.
benMath08
AG
The best part about the Clone Wars cartoon is that Ahsoka Tano, a cartoon adolescent female jedi with weird head tails, is infinitely more relatable than Anakin Skywalker ever was.
fig96
AG
Official per @StarWars:

quote:
Your patience has paid off… @TheCloneWars is coming to @Netflix on 3/7 including 13 episodes of Season 6 content!

I actually own 4 seasons of the show and it's solid, some pretty good storytelling and it's done by some guys that truly love Star Wars. The new series coming this summer, Star Wars: Rebels, also looks pretty awesome.

None of that, however, will ever be as good as the 2d animated series that Genndy Tartakovsky (Dexter's Lab) did between Episode II and III. Freakin' brilliant.
redline248
AG
except for the way too powerful Jedi feats. Mace Windu crushing an entire droid army with a ship he pulled from the sky using the Force...not quite the way Lucas intended things.

I liked it, but it was weird.
First Page Last Page
Page 6 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.