Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,244 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
bluefire579
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anakin redeemed

jokershady
AG
sburg2007 said:

We went on our 8th grade trip from Paul Revere and saw it at Tinseltown on beltway 8 and west park. Not far from west oaks!
do we know each other? I was also in 8th grade at Paul revere at that time.

You play football or wrestle?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
bluefire579 said:

Anakin redeemed

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
May 21, 1980

It is a dark time for the Rebellion. Although the Death Star has been destroyed, Imperial troops have driven the Rebel forces from their hidden base and pursued them across the galaxy.

Evading the dreaded Imperial Starfleet, a group of freedom fighters led by Luke Skywalker has established a new secret base on the remote ice world of Hoth.

The evil lord Darth Vader, obsessed with finding young Skywalker, has dispatched thousands of remote probes into the far reaches of space.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

May 21, 1980

It is a dark time for the Rebellion. Although the Death Star has been destroyed, Imperial troops have driven the Rebel forces from their hidden base and pursued them across the galaxy.

Evading the dreaded Imperial Starfleet, a group of freedom fighters led by Luke Skywalker has established a new secret base on the remote ice world of Hoth.

The evil lord Darth Vader, obsessed with finding young Skywalker, has dispatched thousands of remote probes into the far reaches of space.

Greatest movie ever made.

And the last Star Wars movie that I did not see on its opening day. It didn't open in my home town of Lake Jackson until June 1980, but I did get up to Houston to see it on a weekend right after school let out for the summer at the old Westchase 5 theater, which was one of only 2 screens this movie opened on in what was either the 4th or 5th largest city at the time in the nation.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What was it like seeing the "I am your father" scene in the theaters? For those who remember.
twilly
AG
41 years ago, my mother took the afternoon off from work, pulled me out of school, and stood in line with me at the Ridglea Theatre in Fort Worth to see The Empire Strikes Back. She really didn't want to be there, but it made her happy because I was off the charts happy! My favorite movie and one of my best memories.

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
Mac94
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

What was it like seeing the "I am your father" scene in the theaters? For those who remember.
Mind blowing ... but for those that grew up on the movie we knew the original by heart. We could quote what Ben told Luke about his father and just knew Ben couldn't have been lying (from a certain point of view) and Vader had to be lying being the evil type he was .... but yet ... somehow it also made sense. It was the thing of arguments back in the 5th grade, lol.

The whole movie just left so much unanswered ... it was awesome yet knowing we had to wait three years to see how it played out was the ultimate cinematic tease, lol.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Was surprising to say the least.*

* speaking for my family, who had not read the novelization prior to seeing the movie. In a time before the word 'spoilers' meant anything other than something you might find on the rear of a sports car, it is amazing that I did not spill the beans to the kids in my 7th grade classes given that I was carrying that book with me for a week or so to school and reading every chance I got.
twilly
AG
Yeah, I might be the wrong person to ask what the REVEAL was like since I too read the book about about a week before the movie opened. I was actually more surprised that Yoda was green since the book said he was blue.

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I remember wanting to cry afterwards about it, because Darth Vader was calling Obi-Wan Kenobi a liar.
Maveric
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Where I grew up we didn't get movies until they had been released for almost a year. I had a friend who told me but I didn't believe him.

When Return of the Jedi came out my dad made sure to take me to Austin so we could see it shortly after it came out. This time my friend didn't get to see it until almost a year later.
C@LAg
YNWA_AG said:

Happened last year.

https://www.superherohype.com/tv/498188-lucasfilm-clears-up-some-details-about-dave-filonis-promotion

Via IGN, Lucasfilm released a statement that says "Dave has been serving as Executive Producer / Executive Creative Director at Lucasfilm for quite some time now," a Lucasfilm spokesperson said. "We simply updated our website. Nothing has changed with his current and future projects. He is busier than ever in a galaxy far, far away!"
C@LAg
Star Wars: Rangers of the New Republic Reportedly No Longer in Active Development

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/star-wars-the-mandalorian-dave-filoni-lucasfilm-creative-director-1234978130/

In December, Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy announced that Filoni and Favreau are executive producing several "Mandalorian" spinoffs for Disney Plus, including "The Book of Boba Fett," which is currently shooting and premiering in December, and "Ahsoka," starring Rosario Dawson, and based on the character Filoni created in "The Clone Wars." (A third announced spinoff, "Rangers of the New Republic," is not currently in active development.)
Farmer1906
AG
Does this have a connection to Gina being fired?
C@LAg
Farmer1906 said:

Does this have a connection to Gina being fired?
possibly/likely.

but "not in development" does not necessarily mean canceled (long-term)

they may try to soft reboot it through the three other shows and introduce some new female characters to take the lead.

but IMO, this was the weakest premise of all the shows, and not really needed.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Maveric said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Where I grew up we didn't get movies until they had been released for almost a year. I had a friend who told me but I didn't believe him.

When Return of the Jedi came out my dad made sure to take me to Austin so we could see it shortly after it came out. This time my friend didn't get to see it until almost a year later.
I remember the debates in 2nd and 3rd grade leading up to Jedi about whether Vader was lying about being Luke's father getting pretty intense. Looking back, I think having Yoda confirm it was the only way for the kids of my generation to believe it. Yoda was as wise as we got.
OnlyForNow
AG
I thought rangers would be about those pilots Mando ran into on the spider planet.
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I was six and a half years old. We saw it that summer at the Roxy which was a old school theater in downtown Bremerton, WA, that always had the "blockbuster" at the time.

Honestly, for a kid that young the reveal was unsettling. It made my stomach hurt. The torture scene with Han and Vader, although not at all graphic, was also unsettling for me (the screaming is what did it). I think I found some excuse to sleep on the floor in my brother's room that night.

That said, I 100% agree with Cinco Ranch Ag. Empire is the GOAT.
C@LAg
OnlyForNow said:

I thought rangers would be about those pilots Mando ran into on the spider planet.
i don't recall that, but this is the series Cara Dune was supposed to be a main character in, since she had joined the Rangers in Season 2.
Maveric
AG
Urban Ag said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I was six and a half years old. We saw it that summer at the Roxy which was a old school theater in downtown Bremerton, WA, that always had the "blockbuster" at the time.

Honestly, for a kid that young the reveal was unsettling. It made my stomach hurt. The torture scene with Han and Vader, although not at all graphic, was also unsettling for me (the screaming is what did it). I think I found some excuse to sleep on the floor in my brother's room that night.

That said, I 100% agree with Cinco Ranch Ag. Empire is the GOAT.
One of the worst nightmares i had as a child during that era was my mom was bringing me home in her car and as she pulled into the garage my dad looked out the window; only it wasn't my dad it was Darth Vader! I looked in panic to my mom still behind the wheel and she was a storm trooper!

Urban Ag
AG
in later years, what did your therapist determine this to mean?

bluefire579
AG
C@LAg said:

OnlyForNow said:

i don't recall that, but this is the series Cara Dune was supposed to be a main character in, since she had joined the Rangers in Season 2.
It was never stated that she was in it, this was only something that appeared from fan speculation and rumors. The only thing stated about it was part of a crossover event with Mandalorian, Book of Boba, and Ahsoka.

It's also important that the report about it came from a single line in a Variety article, which only states in a single line that it's not in active development. All these sites are seizing on that and making a whole lot of hubub (I saw one flat out state it's canceled in the title), when all it likely means is that they're still in the early stages of figuring out the details.
Belton Ag
AG
Urban Ag said:

in later years, what did your therapist determine this to mean?

I'm guessing this dream was a manifestation of a repressed memory of him walking in on his mom and dad during some romantic "cosplay," for lack of a better word.
AliasMan02
AG
bluefire579 said:

Anakin redeemed

This is dope. I don't love the mask, which is a little "buggy" for me, but it's a "what if" I had never considered.
redline248
AG
My 6 year old son found the 2D micro series Clone Wars, today. Disney+ has it set up as 2 movies, basically. He was really into it, so that's cool. Poor kid loves the Clones, and I can't make him understand that there is next to zero toys/merch for that era of Star Wars, right now.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
AliasMan02 said:

bluefire579 said:

Anakin redeemed

This is dope. I don't love the mask, which is a little "buggy" for me, but it's a "what if" I had never considered.
Vader at the end of Star Wars Infinities: Return of the Jedi, in which Luke and Leia both redeem him on the Death Star but Palpatine flees. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Infinities:_Return_of_the_Jedi

SpreadsheetAg
AG
I suck at drawing but my concept would be a mask less old Anakin (his suit does the breathing anyways). Light gray robot body / suit and Jedi light tan robes and hood
Farmer1906
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'm betting heavily on Sebulba!
jokershady
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

I'm betting heavily on Sebulba!
ill take that Pepsi
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
At last we will reveal ourselves to the waiters. At last we will have unlimited breadsticks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/njy24l/my_darth_maul_costume_at_comicon/
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Star Wars': A Spectacular Intergalactic Joyride
By Gary Arnold
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, May 25, 1977
George Lucas' delightful science-fiction adventure fantasy "Star Wars," opening today at the Uptown, is a new classic in a rousing movie tradition: a space swashbuckler.
Lucas, the young filmmaker who rose to prominence with "American Graffiti," spent four years writing, preparing, directing and editing "Star Wars." He has achieved a witty and exhilarating synthesis of themes and cliches from the Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers comics and serials, plus such related but less expected sources as the western, the pirate melodrama, the aerial combat melodrama and the samurai epic.
The movie's irresistible stylistic charm derives from the fact that Lucas can draw upon a variety of action-movie sources with unfailing deftness and humor. He is in superlative command of his own movie-nurtured fantasy life.

In "American Graffiti" Lucas created the illusion of compressing a time of life and a period of American social history into a single night.
In "Star Wars" he has refurbished stock scenes, conventions and spare parts acquired from a variety of action movie genres, which assume an affectionately parodistic and miraculously fresh configuration.
The young protagonist, called Luke Skywalker, ingenuous but intrepid and mechanically skillful, pits himself against an evil intergalactic empire. Lucas the filmmaker engineers a kind of intergalactic joyride in a souped-up, customized cinematic hot rod, fueled by an $8-$10 million investment [a lot of money at the time!] and serviced by dozens of talented craftsmen and technicians.

The movie begins with a written prologue which seems to place us in an early episode of a vintage serial. Lucas brings this motif to a spectacular resolution in the climactic scenes, which ricochet from one perilous situation and rip-roaring battle to the next, suggesting the way a typical 12-chapter serial might look if one had the opportunity to cut it down to the action-packed essentials.
"Star Wars" gets off with a bang as the spaceship transporting the heroine, Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher), a rebel conspiring to restore the intergalactic republic, is captured and overrun by the Death Star, an apparently impregnable military space station conceived as the ultimate weapon by the totalitarian empire. Before her guards are defeated and she is taken prisoner, the Princess manages to slip an S.O.S. and secret blueprints of the Death Star into the memory banks of a squat little robot called R2-D2.
This messenger, which has a "vocabulary" of beeps and whistles, rather like Harpo Marx, and employs them to similar humorous effect, escapes in a capsule with its talking robot sidekick, a lanky, fussy, goldplated machine named C3PO, whose personality suggests an overspecialized cross of Edward Everett Horton with Hal the Computer.

The robots land on the arid planet Tatooine, where they eventually fall into the hands of Luke (Mark Hamill), a farmboy who lives with his aunt and uncle, and the other characters who are destined to rocket to the Princess's aid. There's a wobbly stretch of exposition during which the prattle of C3PO threatens to become a naggy, prissy nuisance. Things begin to perk up again when the marooned robots are captured by hooded, red-eyed little creatures called Jawas, (a gratuitous phonetic joke, one assumes), who seem to run a hijacking and junk salvage business on Tatooine. Luckily for the galaxies, they peddle the robots to Luke's uncle.

The movie seems a trifle unsure of its tone and bearings until the entrance of Alec Guinness, who portrays a hermit warrior called Ben Kenobi, a former comrade of Luke's late father and the boy's mentor.
The Princess has sent her distress signal to Ben, and when Guinness arrives on the scene, one feels no further distress about how the picture may turn out. There's a humorous serenity about his presence that seems to stabilize the exposition. He supplies emotional equilibrium and authority at a critical moment, when one had begun to fear that Lucas's ingenuity would become precious and callow.

The movie soars over the top when Luke and Ben go to town to hire a means of intergalactic transportation and encounter the peerless team of Han Solo and Chewbacca, respectively a dashing, albeit mercenary, pilot and his shaggy first mate, a towering, bellyaching monster known generically as a Wookiee. These characters prove wonderfully amusing company in their own right, but their entrances are enhanced by a fantastic, hilarious setting a futuristic cantina catering to all the human, semi-human and non-human riffraff in the territory.
This dive for monstrosities is an inspired comic fancy, and I assume that production designer John Barry was motivated partly by an inside joke: He was the designer on Stanley Kubrick's version of "A Clockwork Orange," which opened in a dive for futuristic delinquents. The Tatooine cantina is the sort of joint the same toughs might frequent several disastrously mutant generations later. The bubble-headed, long-snouted patrons made up by Stuart Freeborn, whose credits include David Lean's "Oliver Twist," Kubrick's "Dr. Strangelove" and "2001" and the Hercule Poirot makeup for Albert Finney in "Murder on the Orient Express," leave some tantalizing unanswered questions about Tatooine civilization.

Han Solo is the film's most flamboyant human role, and Harrison Ford, who appeared as the hot rodder who challenged Paul Le Mat in "American Graffiti," has a splendid time capitalizing on its irresistible style of cynical heroism. It would be professionally criminal to flub such an ingratiating, star-making assignment, and although Ford plays in a relaxed, drawing style, reminiscent of Jack Nicholson at his foxiest, he maintains a firm grip on this golden opportunity. He would have kids and grownups by the millions roaring their approval at defiant sentiments like the following: "Bring 'em on! I prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around."

There's a rapturous moment of whimsy during the cantina sequence in which we briefly glimpse one monster beginning to laugh heartily at another monster's unheard joke. It's as if an Edward Koren cartoon had suddenly sprung to life. From that instant I felt complete confidence and pleasure in Lucas' directions.

The way the moment is almost but not quite thrown away seems a key to the movie's wit. Although the look of "Star Wars" has been influenced by Kubrick many people on the crew have worked with him or been directly influenced by him the tone and tempo are utterly, happily different from "2001" or "A Clockwork Orange." Lucas's film is jaunty rather than portentous. One of the reasons Barry's cantina seems charged with humor is that Lucas doesn't linger over it, as Kubrick lingered over the decor of the nightclub in "Clockwork Orange." New perspectives and monsters keep turning up and moving on with astonishing and amusing rapidity. Lucas' style of sci-fi prodigality is playfully funny.

One is more or less prepared for the science-fiction sources Lucas borrows, embellishes and satirizes. The borrowings from other action genres are a terrific bonus. For example, Luke's return to a burnt-out homestead and the Han Solo's showdown in the cantina with a hired-gun monster are classic Western confrontations (the former appears to be directly inspired by the key motivational scene in "Nevada Smith") which Lucas has intext. One of the most priceless moments is Fisher's reading of the line, "Good luck," to Hamill just before they go swinging across a chasm on the Death Star. Lucas creates a romantic triangle between Luke, Han Solo and the haughty, bossy, indomitable Princess that seems perfectly resolved by not being resolved at all.

If the Princess ever chooses to share her favors, poetic justice seems to demand that she favor the heroes equally. Could this mischievous hint of a menage-a-trois in-the-making, which is about as racy as the byplay between Hope, Crosby and Lamour in the "Road" comedies, have been as responsible for the PG rating as the fighting, which is abundant but scarcely realistic?

If "Logan's Run" and "King Kong" deserved last year's Academy Awards for special effects, no honor under the sun is sufficient to recognize the contribution of people like John Dykstra and John Stears to "Star Wars." One assumes that Steven Spielberg's "Close Encounters of the third Kind," scheduled for Christmas release will boast effects of comparable quality. The Academy might do well to revoke last year's special effects prizes before conferring this year's.
The aerial dogfight Dykstra and Stears have helped Lucas perfect as his climactic piece de resistance looks more exciting than its antecedents in live-action war movies. It's the most gorgeous stylized combat sequence since the underwater battle at the end of "Thunderball," a project that won an Oscar for Stears. The final combustive image is particularly inspired: One's melodramatic apprehensions for the good guys are dissolved in a lyrical shower of stars.

Parents who suffered dutifully through "Logan's Run" in quest of a decent attraction for juveniles may now claim their reward. George Lucas has made the kind of sci-fi adventure movie you dream about finding, for your own pleasure as well as your kids' pleasure.
Stockholders in 20th Century-Fox may be coming into another sort of reward. "Star Wars" is virtually certain of overwhelming popular and critical success. It has a real shot at approaching the phenomenal popularity of "Jaws," and I wouldn't be surprised to discover "Star Wars" in the runner-up position among modern hits before the year is out.

I know two market-playing movie nuts who placed orders with their brokers minutes after seeing the film. More and more the studios are riding on the ability of a handful of talented young filmmakers to deliver them from banality or bankruptcy in the clutch. In "Star Wars" George Lucas has supplied 20th Century-Fox with a new lease on life.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Nice review.

This was the day that not only Star Wars came out, but also Return of the Jedi.
Flashdiaz
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Nice review.

This was the day that not only Star Wars came out, but also Return of the Jedi.
or put another way, it's a day long remembered.
First Page Last Page
Page 1037 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.