Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,440 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 27 min ago by TCTTS
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah... it was more of a guideline than a rule in Rebels.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jokershady
AG
That's hilarious! They started filming in April correct?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
This shall be a day long remembered ...

May 19, 1999

May 19, 2005

YouBet
AG
I never realized my wedding anniversary is tied to the birth of JarJar Binks on screen.

That explains so many things.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Newspaper column written by yours truly for the publication I was working for on May 19, 1999.

A long time ago, in a neighborhood about 30 miles away...
I made a new friend in the summer of 1977 when I was 3-and-1/2 years old. His name was George.
George had the coolest toys around, and he let everyone play with them. He came back to visit in 1980 and 1983, and brought more and more toys, both new and old.
Once again, he allowed me full access to his treasure trove of imagination, and like a million other kids, I fell in love with his world.
Then, George went away, and I hardly ever heard from him. I could still visit his world when I wanted to, but it was, after all, George's story, and I wanted to hear the rest of it.
In the meantime, I grew up, and though I longed for George's return, as the years went by, the hope faltered bit by bit.
Now, George is back and he's done something so wonderful it's hard to believe -- he's made us all kids again.
Today, the first leg of the journey will be complete, when The Phantom Menace opens across the United States and starts its progression toward shattering pretty-boy Leonardo DiCaprio's Titanic success of 1997.
I'm one of those 20-something-year-old guys who has talked about this movie non-stop since it was announced more than two years ago. I'm the one who's reading all the speculation posted on the Internet. In short, I'm the guy that the media chuckles at and the rest of the country labels a sci-fi geek.
Damn right.
I love the Star Wars universe.
I hope everyone has something in their lives that harnesses their imagination and captivates their sense of whimsy and adventure the way Star Wars does for me.
I believe in the world that George Lucas has created. I believe in the classic mythology behind the story and I believe in the lessons Lucas preaches via such oddly-named disciples as Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Darth Vader and now Qui-Gon Jinn.
In some ways, Star Wars inspired me to be a writer, because it made me use my imagination and I realized how much I liked that.
I have loved George Lucas' universe since that first day in 1977. After my dad took my brother Adam and I to see the film for about the 20th time, we made a trip to Target where my dad bought us each two action figures.
Adam chose Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader; I opted for R2-D2 and C-3PO. We had broken Vader's lightsaber by the time we got home.
Over the course of the next six years, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi made motion-picture history.
In my own world, I spent every cent of my allowance on Star Wars action figures, space ships and play sets. Every Christmas and birthday was a chance to add one more ship, speeder or stormtrooper to my arsenal.
My collection of spaceships -- highlighted by the Millennium Falcon and an AT-AT (that's All-Terrain, Armored Transport for the unenlightened) -- gave me enough firepower to take over the neighborhood.
Via the Internet's 47 Phantom-related sites, my fellow fans and I scavenged the Internet for plot details, pictures and insider information on the new movies for the past two years.
But no matter how much I read or how many behind-the-scenes pictures were posted, nothing could prepare me for last November when the Episode I teaser trailer hit movie theaters.
Adam, my dad and I purchased tickets to the deplorable film The Waterboy to catch the first glimpses of our return trip to the Star Wars universe.
When the Lucasfilm logo came up, chills ran rampant on my spine and two minutes and 10 seconds later, when the Episode I title shot came flying up, I realized I had been holding my breath the whole time and needed some oxygen.
The images were astonishing -- grand vistas of a planet called Naboo; familiar elements of Luke's home planet Tatooine and amazing computer-generated characters that looked as real as you and me.
Last Wednesday morning, I drove to my local Tinsletown to stand in line for tickets. At 7:30 a.m., I was the 135th person in line. By 2:00 p.m. when tickets went on sale, there were 871 people waiting.
Now, the movie has opened in its two-hour, 11-minute entirety, and by the time your read this, I'll have seen it at least twice, perhaps thrice with Adam, my dad and my fellow Aggie / Star Wars fanatic Tom.
In The Empire Strikes Back, Luke tells a skeptical Yoda that he's ready to be a Jedi.
"Ready, what know you of ready?" the diminutive Master retorts.
Today, 22 years after it all began, I stand ready to return to my childhood and all the magic that started a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

The Force is back.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's awesome, thanks for sharing!
redline248
AG
Very good write-up, but you lose points for calling The Waterboy deplorable. 10 points from House Ravenclaw
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
redline248 said:

Very good write-up, but you lose points for calling The Waterboy deplorable. 10 points from House Ravenclaw
Gotta agree. At least he didn't suffer through Wing Commander for that initial peek into the return to the galaxy far, far away. 'Cause at least The Waterboy gave us this:
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Went to a Chiang panel for the TPM 20th anniversary at Celebration 2019.

Saw this and a ton of other amazing artwork. Great stuff.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Today, the first leg of the journey will be complete, when The Phantom Menace opens across the United States and starts its progression toward shattering pretty-boy Leonardo DiCaprio's Titanic success of 1997.
Even Lucas knew they couldn't take it down. But it was a hell of an effort.

Enjoyed reading that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Did anyone else have this?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also legit curious about this:
Quote:

Last Wednesday morning, I drove to my local Tinsletown to stand in line for tickets. At 7:30 a.m., I was the 135th person in line. By 2:00 p.m. when tickets went on sale, there were 871 people waiting.
Did you actually count this many people?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also legit curious about this:
Quote:

Did you actually count this many people?
Absolutely. And I still email with the guy I was in line in front of for 8 hours. He was so hardcore he hadn't even watched the trailers or ANYTHING. He literally knew nothing about the movie except the title and the posters.

Once I got there, I went into reporter mode.

Also, wouldn't be Texags if people weren't finding nitpicks in 22 year old writing. God bless ya
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
redline248 said:

If you think I would have been in Ravenclaw, you need to check my A&M transcript.
Quad Dog
AG
Should we debate your lack of use of the Oxford comma?
redline248
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

redline248 said:

If you think I would have been in Ravenclaw, you need to check my A&M transcript.
haha, I started to go with Slytherin b/c you have to be evil to not like the Waterboy. Then I decided, no you're not evil, just a nerd.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Something wrong with his medulla oblongoda.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
YNWA_AG
AG
hunter2012
AG
YNWA_AG said:

Any promotion that adds to Filoni's creative control at Lucas Film is a great thing. Rumor swirling that Kathleen is out, who knows if it's true but I don't believe she should have any creative input going forward.
Red Five
AG
Nm
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I move for a vote of no confidence in Kathleen Kennedy's leadership.
TCTTS
AG
We're really doing this again.
bluefire579
AG
TCTTS said:

Feel like we're a little past due
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dude, it was a joke. I've voiced support for Kennedy before.
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

Why not?
jokershady
AG
I'll never forget my dad pulling me out of school early in 8th grade to go to west oaks mall to go see Phantom Menace the day it came out. So awesome!
jokershady
AG
YNWA_AG said:

my kids and I just for the hell of it watched chapter 1 of Mando a few days ago.....how did I miss that Filoni had directed the first episode???
sburg2007
We went on our 8th grade trip from Paul Revere and saw it at Tinseltown on beltway 8 and west park. Not far from west oaks!
DustysLineup
AG

Quote:

. Rumor swirling that Kathleen is out,
I feel like this rumor has been swirling since the days of the Old Republic.
First Page Last Page
Page 1036 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.