Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,064 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
cbr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gougler08 said:

hunter2012 said:

Red Five said:

Ah thanks. I haven't made it through the end of clone wars yet, need to go back and finish it.
The show builds momentum so that by the end it's extremely good. Watching it in chronological order helps too.
Those last 4 episodes would be the best Star Wars movie if they were combined in to 1...outstanding
yes, i really never considered watching clone wars. busy grown up and all..... i got sick and started it and then it was on.

the series was pretty long and i could do without about half the shows, but holy hell, towards the end, it became REALLY, REALLY good. And it made the prequels much more bearable, and even really fleshed out the whole universe.

yeah, the last season was so good i actually watched a mashup of about 5 key episodes together with the last 4 or so in their entirety, and would watch it again any time. I loved SW, really liked the rest of the original 3, really, really liked R1.... but i am not sure i would not put the ending of clone wars at or very near the very top.
Mr. White
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

I haven't had a chance to start the Bad Batch, but Disney+ released three other things for May 4.

1) A three-minute short crossover of The Simpsons and Star Wars with Maggie and BB8 that has about 6 million sight gags in it.

2) Star Wars Flythroughs - Takes you inside the Falcon and a First Order Star Destroyer .

3) Star Wars Biomes - my favorite; it's a lot like Soarin' at Epcot/California adventures and takes you over the vistas of several familiar and unfamiliar planets. There are all sorts of Easter Eggs obvious and not, I need to watch it on the TV, my phone didn't do it justice.
I go through the Vince MacMahon meme/gif experience about once every other page on this thread. Here's the post that did it this time.

hunter2012
AG
gougler08 said:

hunter2012 said:

Red Five said:

Ah thanks. I haven't made it through the end of clone wars yet, need to go back and finish it.
The show builds momentum so that by the end it's extremely good. Watching it in chronological order helps too.
Those last 4 episodes would be the best Star Wars movie if they were combined in to 1...outstanding
Someone spliced that arc with Revenge of the Sith extremely well and I would encourage any fan to watch it after seeing clone wars. What's amazing is that a few scenes cross tie together and that last arc fits into the movie perfectly. Here's the most memorable one, it adds meaning to the movie since Ahsoka was seconds away from saving the Republic if she could have warned Anakin.

It also provides some context as to why Anakin is so happy at the beginning of the movie, he believes his padawon is returning.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
First of all, that splice is unreal. I had to watch it twice to realize it had cut from one to the other.

The thing I took away the first time that really strikes me again here is the Jedi got what was coming to them. Their utter arrogance in excluding Ahsoka concerning their fears about the Chancellor here is Example 1A of how paranoid and secular they got about losing their power. What was Ahsoka going to do with that information, post it on Twitter? Call Palps? She's not exactly his biggest fan.

Even Yoda, calling her Padawan at the end of the exchange - she just freaking captured Maul. When Obi-Wan defeated him the first time he got made a Knight and took on an apprentice 12 hours later. Ahsoka captures him alive and her reward is to be treated like a part-time employee. Great stuff.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The whole Order 66 scene in the supercut is great stuff.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Red Five
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

First of all, that splice is unreal. I had to watch it twice to realize it had cut from one to the other.

The thing I took away the first time that really strikes me again here is the Jedi got what was coming to them. Their utter arrogance in excluding Ahsoka concerning their fears about the Chancellor here is Example 1A of how paranoid and secular they got about losing their power. What was Ahsoka going to do with that information, post it on Twitter? Call Palps? She's not exactly his biggest fan.

Even Yoda, calling her Padawan at the end of the exchange - she just freaking captured Maul. When Obi-Wan defeated him the first time he got made a Knight and took on an apprentice 12 hours later. Ahsoka captures him alive and her reward is to be treated like a part-time employee. Great stuff.
I've always assumed that was the fulfilment of the prophecy, right? The Jedi thought Anakin would bring balance to the Force, but what did they think that would mean? At the time they believed the Sith had been destroyed, so what exactly did they think would be balanced? Anakin ultimately destroyed both the Jedi order and the Sith, which brought the Force back into balance.
Red Five
AG
I love that so much.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm totally not getting this
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Vader is so embarrassed about replying "You too" that his only recourse is to destroy the entire planet the guy was on.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Ah, been there Lord Vader. I just didn't have a my er crystal powered super Lazer at my disposal.
hunter2012
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Vader is so embarrassed about replying "You too" that his only recourse is to destroy the entire planet the guy was on.
Basically, " I'm so embarrassed, I wish everyone else was dead."
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This is awesome. I do this pretty much daily and then I have my Chris Farley moment when I get in the car.

TCTTS
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Took a minute but I got there (before reading this; but thanks for the confirmation)
fig96
AG
Random interesting thing I ran across this morning:

Why does Tarkin's CGI in Rogue One look so plastic-y? Could they have made it look more realistic? - Answered by ILM Animation Supervisor Hal Hickel
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I love Conan, and that's a incredibly believable story about Lucas, haha.

Somehow I got this as a recommended video

I remember watching this as it aired, crazy.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I thought tarkin looked incredible in rogue one. I showed my wife a couple of scenes from a new hope and then rogue one and she was floored, and she usually doesn't give a **** about digital effects at all. Leia was much less photorealistic for me, but only because her character is so much more well known.
JCRiley09
AG
Is there an example of that type of digital effect being done well? SW is 0-3 with tarkin, leia, and Luke (mando), but I let it go because I figure they're putting out the best story possible with the best tech available.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
JCRiley09 said:

Is there an example of that type of digital effect being done well? SW is 0-3 with tarkin, leia, and Luke (mando), but I let it go because I figure they're putting out the best story possible with the best tech available.
Disagree with 0-3. Tarkin was about as perfectly done as possible. The reason he worked so well whereas Leia did not is, I believe, because of the youth of the "skin". Tarkin is a wrinkled face, which should make it easier to hide any imperfections, but with Leia's youthful skin, everything was tight, non-wrinkled and looked plastic-y.
YouBet
AG
I still don't get how people got fooled by Tarkin. Yes, comparatively speaking, it's been one of the better CGI humans we've seen but it's still obviously fake.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
But isn't it a lot easier for your brain to think "that's fake" when you know what you're seeing is a person who's been dead for 25 years?
YouBet
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

But isn't it a lot easier for your brain to think "that's fake" when you know what you're seeing is a person who's been dead for 25 years?

Maybe but nothing until deep fake tech has ever looked convincing to me.
fig96
AG
So the challenge with this is that you're hitting the trifecta of what makes this really difficult to pull off: a closeup performance from a human actor that you're very familiar with (rather than a made up creature) for a fairly long shot. And most of the audience knows as they see it that the shot has to be digital so there's already more scrutiny on the shot.

There's way more digital doubles used in most films (especially tentpole action pictures) than you realize, but they're usually longer action shots rather than close up acting shots where you're completely focused on the actors face. And you can even fool the audience in a close up if it's only a handful of frames.

Has this been done better by anyone else? In short bursts yes (though I wouldn't necessarily say "better", you just weren't looking for it) but not for any kind of extended shot where you knew the character had to be digital.

For example:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
JCRiley09 said:

I forgot the winky face. I know you meant real people. But pure cgi faces have never looked better imo.
TCTTS
AG
fig96
AG
I both feel bad for this dude and can't stop laughing.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

That's amazing.

Random observation: this guy looks like the kid from that semi-famous gif of the two white kids dancing? There was the really awkward skinny white kid in the background of that gif dancing really hard. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
How much do you think he paid her to pretend she's his girlfriend?
YouBet
AG
This is what I was talking about. I'm telling yall this is the same guy.

hunter2012
AG

Well of course I know him, he's me...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 1032 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.