Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,295 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Mark Hamill to play Mephisto in the MCU confirmed
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

List is good. Not sure about order...
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Goodbye, productivity!

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Our scrummaster just made a "we have the high ground" reference on our sprint planning meeting.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Our scrummaster just made a "we have the high ground" reference on our sprint planning meeting.
Always two there are, no more no less, a scrum master and a scrum apprentice.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Funny enough I just got my SCM certification a few weeks ago.
TCTTS
AG

Chipotlemonger
AG
In the same boat as you, once I watched Solo I didn't understand some of the backlash or disdain at all. It was a fun Star Wars movie and I think most people just couldn't get past Solo being someone else.
Red Five
AG
Solo is great. One of the best Star Wars films hands down.

I understand that internet consensus is the poor showing at the box office is Rian Johnson's fault and I'm ok with that because F that guy.
hunter2012
AG
TCTTS said:

Completely agree, I'd have it only below Rogue One for the Disney-era. These two aged SO MUCH BETTER than the ST.
Farmer1906
AG
TCTTS said:

I love Solo. I was triggered today when someone put it as a poll option for the worst SW movie.
Keegan99
AG
Rogue One and Solo are the only two Disney SW films that are highly rewatchable, in my opinion.
TCTTS
AG
Man, I was not expecting this level of Solo love. So awesome to see.
hunter2012
AG
For me it's more like sequel hate. But both are actually good.
fig96
AG
hunter2012 said:

TCTTS said:

Completely agree, I'd have it only below Rogue One for the Disney-era. These two aged SO MUCH BETTER than the ST.
I still really like TFA, largely because it was the exact film we needed to bring everything back. The way things were handled from that point had some serious issues though.

But yes, Solo is a lot of fun.
Rex Racer
AG
Solo really WAS a lot of fun, and I would like to see more. I never understood the bad rap it got when it came out. Maybe just because it wasn't Harrison Ford. But folks, he isn't getting young again.
Farmer1906
AG
Solo needs a Disney+ show.
YouBet
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

In the same boat as you, once I watched Solo I didn't understand some of the backlash or disdain at all. It was a fun Star Wars movie and I think most people just couldn't get past Solo being someone else.
More about bad timing than anything else. There was so much strife over TLJ it tainted Solo. I think it will enjoy a resurgence as time goes on. Really fun once they get off planet.

Also, this was when Carli was good as a rebel.
AliasMan02
AG
The Solo hate just goes to show you how malleable opinions and perceptions are. There was an organized, concerted effort to arbitrarily crash it, and it worked. The vibe surrounding it changed the entire conversation.
heddleston
AG
I wasn't looking forward to Solo because I didn't want his whole backstory spelled out, especially the kessel run and how he won the Falcon. I like the mystery about it. That said, it was a crapload of fun and the actors were great in their roles.
Farmer1906
AG
It was a space western and felt just like Star Wars should feel. The twists were great too.
bluefire579
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Lando is getting one, so that's close
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I guess no Obi-Wan today. Sigh.
Farmer1906
AG
bluefire579 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Lando is getting one, so that's close
We don't even know what that one will be like, do we? Glover? Animated? Anything? I don't have high hopes for anything from a guy who made "Dear White People".
bluefire579
AG
Regarding Solo itself as a movie, I really think it was a combination of fatigue (it came out 6 months after TLJ, I believe), the hubbub surrounding the directing change, and a general hesitation to watch a movie about Han Solo, both from a narrative standpoint and the fact that you have someone portraying an iconic character forever linked with an iconic actor. It was a perfect storm of crap that ended up burying a very entertaining movie.

Yes, there were some parts that seemed eye-rollingly contrived, especially considering how much of his backstory they crammed into a single movie, but it had a pretty fun story and the acting was solid (Donald Glover nailed Lando and I felt that Alden Ehrenreich was very convincing as Han, not to mention Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke, and Paul Bettany).

I do think that because of the circumstances surrounding it, though, it will always sit in that kind of forgotten space, with folks labeling it as bad for that very reason, which is unfortunate. Maybe it will have the kind of resurgence that the prequel trilogy has when folks who watched it as kids get a bit older.
C@LAg
heddleston said:

I wasn't looking forward to Solo because I didn't want his whole backstory spelled out, especially the kessel run and how he won the Falcon. I like the mystery about it. That said, it was a crapload of fun and the actors were great in their roles.
I did not like it because his entire character, as defined, was covered in its entirety in a single movie, most within the span of just a few days.

Chewie, check.
Falcon check.
Lando, check.
Jacket, check.
Dice, check.
Kessel run,. check.

only thing missing is him dumping Jabba's load.

almost as if his entire character has not grown beyond those first events.
It was an OK movie but not one I have more interest in.

Personally, I would prefer a miniseries about the Shadow Collective over more Solo.
JCRiley09
AG
Personally I think The Last Jedi aged well compared to the other sequels. Force Awakens is the same story we'd already seen and Rise is hot garbage. You can definitely point fingers at Rose and Finn or flying Leia, but to me it was the best story.

Agreed that Solo and Rogue One are still the best Disney SW movies.
oragator
On Solo, I liked it. But it finally occurred to me many monks later why I'd don't love it. Good plot, good character development etc. But almost none of the true star wars universe was there. There were glimpses, but none of the fair tale magic, the force, the characters we love (outside of chewy and lando). Almost like a non star wars movie in the star wars canon of that makes sense.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Funny enough I just got my SCM certification a few weeks ago.
Congratulations, although I don't know what that means.
hunter2012
AG
Since we're fluffing Solo and it is May the 4th...

^Best song to come out of the Star Wars Kinect game
YouBet
AG
Confession: have seen the OT dozens of times. Maybe over a hundred as a collective?

I had no idea what the hell the dice thing was in Solo nor the significance. Still have no idea where that even showed up in the OT.
MGS
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Always two there are, no more no less, a scrum master and a scrum apprentice.

So what's more evil, the Dark Side or Scrum?
Ulrich
I thought Solo was a good, fun movie. But I did hate that they jammed so much Han Solo trivia into the movie and I was pretty down on star wars in general due to the train wreck that was TLJ. Still saw Solo in theaters and enjoyed it, watched it a second time and thought it held up reasonably well.
First Page Last Page
Page 1030 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.