Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,883 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
100% chance he would fail a PED test in the NFL or MLB
Claude!
redline248 said:

100% chance he would fail a PED test in the NFL or MLB
Dude might fail a PED test in the WWF.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Remember that day clearly. It felt like the best time to be a Star Wars fan in my lifetime.

The age of innocence.
israeliag
AG
I guess they'll be filming him from the waist up, allowing him to skip leg day. Or he's playing Darth Maul :P
SpreadsheetAg
AG
What role is he rumored to play?
TCTTS
AG
No rumored role yet. Was just part of that big, official cast announcement a few weeks back.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I am going to guess: plucky friend of Obi-Wan who deals in information and helps Kenobi get off Tatooine unnoticed for a certain mission or 2 against Darth Vader & Maul.
TCTTS
AG
So... I have twin, seven-year-old nephews who, along with my four-year-old niece (and the rest of my family), will all coming to Disneyland this Thanksgiving, which means Galaxy's Edge, which means prepping them by finally showing them the Star Wars movies for the first time. They have some Star Wars legos, and a couple Star Wars lunch boxes, but otherwise they know nothing about the franchise.

In general, they mainly watch animated stuff, with some live-action movies here and there (Home Alone, Elf, etc). Oh, and they've seen both Guardians of the Galaxy movies and absolutely LOVE them, but that's the only Marvel they've seen (I'm saving the rest for when they're a year or two older and can understand/better-appreciate the entire franchise).

Given all of that info... where do I start them in the Star Wars franchise?

The only thing I know for sure is that I will *not* be starting with the prequels, so as to keep intact the Vader/father reveal. Other than that, my two primary concerns are 1) hooking them from the get-go, and 2) keeping their attention. Seeing as they've never seen any media content pre-'90s, and the vast majority of their media consumption is modern, animated bullsh*t, I'm somewhat concerned starting with something from 1977, i.e. A New Hope. Do I start with Rogue One instead and treat Rogue One/A New Hope as basically one, long movie/introduction? Do I get totally crazy and even kick things off with Solo?

What I don't want to do is start with A New Hope, then immediately confuse them by going back and showing them Rogue One, then jumping back to Empire, etc. Another goal is to keep the timeline as straightforward as I can, at least initially. But is it sacrilege not to start with A New Hope? Am I overthinking that?

As of now, my gut instinct is...

01) Rogue One
02) A New Hope
03) The Empire Strikes Back
04) Return of the Jedi

05) The Phantom Menace
06) Attack of the Clones
07) Revenge of the Sith

08) The Mandalorian (seasons 1&2)

09) The Force Awakens
10) Solo
11) The Last Jedi
12) The Rise of Skywalker

What other options do I have? Should I do the thing where some people slip the prequels in after Empire and before Revenge of the Sith? As for The Clone Wars, they're on their own for those and can knock them out at their own leisure, after they've finished all the live action stuff. I'm mainly concerned with getting them caught up with and through the sequel trilogy, so they can have maximum fun/knowledge at Galaxy's Edge. Speaking of, Galaxy's Edge technically takes place *before* The Rise of Skywalker, correct?

Anyway, any thoughts/pointers/test cases would be much-appreciated.
DustysLineup
AG
Always start with the first one, "Star Wars." Still my favorite, all these many years later. If they don't get into that, the rest would be a waste of time other than to comment on the special effects.
powerbelly
AG
I would start with A New Hope, but that's just me. I love rogue one but I feel you need the context of the OT to really enjoy it.

They are a great age for Rebels on their own time.
TCTTS
AG
So when do you introduce Rogue One?
powerbelly
AG
I would do 4-6, 1-3, Rogue One and then Clone Wars and Rebels.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Do them in the natural order we all know

4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7, 3.93, 8, 3.77, 9. It's pretty easy.

And they haven't seen Star Wars by age 7? Call CPS on their parents.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'd go with the order you mentioned. Start with RO. Kids today might get hooked quicker with a modern movie.
TCTTS
AG
See, that's what I'm thinking. Just treat it and A New Hope as one, long movie basically. I feel like they'd respond to the franchise as a whole better if it kicked off with something modern and more fast-paced instead of something from the '70s.
JCRiley09
AG
I don't know.... very few of the main characters... no Jedi.... no light sabers.... (until the end OMG)

I think I'd go with Phantom Menace or New Hope.

I used to have a hypothetical idea of how to show the Star Wars movies, but now I have a kid (2 yo, can't even make it through the scroll yet). I know the Jedi, lightsabers, chewie, and yoda are going to be the best way to grab his interest.

I wouldn't show rogue one first just because you might not be able to go straight into new hope because kids are kids and they might not sit down for one full movie, let alone two
TCTTS
AG
I wouldn't do both movies in the same night. It would be over two or three nights. But yeah, overall I hear you.
dave94
AG
TCTTS said:

See, that's what I'm thinking. Just treat it and A New Hope as one, long movie basically. I feel like they'd respond to the franchise as a whole better if it kicked off with something modern and more fast-paced instead of something from the '70s.

I disagree in that Star Wars is just so perfect. I think they would benefit from experiencing the wonder and hopefulness of the first film.

Rogue One is a little dark in that the heroes win, but there is such sacrifice there. Plus, the impact of the Princess at the end will mean so much more after they see A New Hope.
JCRiley09
AG
I may be wrong about this, but I feel like rogue one is a good movie, but Star Wars is a good kids movie, does that make sense? Rogue one doesn't have the quirkiness for kids that the trilogy movies have.

I teach high school kids and I have a 2yo. Any age between those is a mystery to me.
TCTTS
AG
That's a good point.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Rogue One will have them falling in love with a bunch of great characters only to have them all die save for the lady on the ship at the end for 3 seconds, the giant scary guy all in black, and the old white guy who upstages the other white guy.

They'll see Bail Organa here, then not see him again until Attack of the Clones and have no idea who he was supposed to be, General Dodonna is a different person, ditto Mon Mothma.

Go 4-5-6, that's the way 99% of people alive fell in love with the movies. Don't tweak the formula for success
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, that makes sense.
jeffk
AG
Original trilogy first, then Rogue One, then prequels. Everything that's good about RO and the prequels is dependent on the originals.
redline248
AG
I don't really think rogue 1 is for kids, but I know opinions may differ. Same with episode 3
Chipotlemonger
AG
jeffk said:

Original trilogy first, then Rogue One, then prequels. Everything that's good about RO and the prequels is dependent on the originals.

While I agree with your claim there in the 2nd sentence, what is crazy is that none of us can objectively really say that with full certainty. There's a smaller portion of the population that exists now that may have gone 1-9 in order for their entire first viewing, but that's gotta be a small group.

Who knows, maybe starting at 1 as a kid is actually a good hook? You have the Gungans, the cool Gungan battle scene, the cool scenery, the pod racing, Natalie Portman, the cool looking villain.

Reading everyone's comments before mine I would agree in recommending the "original" order. But after making this post and considering it a little more critically, I don't know. I could see the younger kids getting hyped for Episode I and being hooked.

It's just a different kind of hook than starting with 4 and all of the intrigue and suspense we all got to experience with that movie.
TCTTS
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Do them in the natural order we all know

4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7, 3.93, 8, 3.77, 9. It's pretty easy.

And they haven't seen Star Wars by age 7? Call CPS on their parents.

They may not have parents who are all that into movies or TV, but they *do* have an uncle who does/makes things like this for them...

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
That's super cool TC, although at first I read it that you were having them binge a season of Mando one day and the second season the next day.

veryfuller
Staff
AG
I think it's called Machete Order, but thats what I'd recommend. Its:

4,5,1,2,3,6 -- then whatever else you want to do. This way, the arc of Anakin at the end of Return of the Jedi is much more meaningful. It also save the "I am your father" reveal. And if you start kids on something more modern than the originals, they may never be able to sit thru them. Start them with the slower stuff, if they are still interested then you know they are hooked haha.
YouBet
AG
I like the Machete Order (don't understand genesis of name), but it doesn't account for R1 and I think it should.

So maybe 4,5,1,2,3,R1,6

R1 is still kind of out of order here but I agree with others that you want to preserve the impact of the Lea reveal after seeing 4 and 5. R1 was made with this impact in mind because it was made after the fact.

HOWEVER, does that impact really matter if you are starting now as a complete neophyte to these movies? It was impactful to us because we are old and grew up with the order we were given. If you don't think that impact will matter then you would do:

R1,4,5,1,2,3,6. This preserves the Anakin arc and the biggest reveal in cinema history which should be maintained at all costs.
powerbelly
AG
veryfuller said:

I think it's called Machete Order, but thats what I'd recommend. Its:

4,5,1,2,3,6 -- then whatever else you want to do. This way, the arc of Anakin at the end of Return of the Jedi is much more meaningful. It also save the "I am your father" reveal. And if you start kids on something more modern than the originals, they may never be able to sit thru them. Start them with the slower stuff, if they are still interested then you know they are hooked haha.

I think this is fine for adults but kids generally love phantom menace
israeliag
AG
Yall know you don't have to only watch each one once right?

4, 5, 1, 2, 3, Solo, R1, 4, 5, 6, Mando, 7, 8, 9
(after 2 Star watching Clone Wars and Rebels in parallel)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Machete Order is only if you don't watch TPM.

I'm very much against this tbh.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Do you consider 30-year-olds kids?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I actually like the idea of 4,5,1,2,3,6,7,8,9, but maybe for older kids and teens.

I think for younger kids, it might be confusing to jump back and forth between the OT and PT.
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I actually like the idea of 4,5,1,2,3,6,7,8,9, but maybe for older kids and teens.

I think for younger kids, it might be confusing to jump back and forth between the OT and PT.

Here is the problem with this whole debate:

Kids are dumb. Make them watch it in the order you want to. They won't care or remember.
First Page Last Page
Page 1024 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.