AMERICAN HUSTLE

13,641 Views | 155 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Redstone
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is the best year for fall/holiday/Oscar-season movies since the notoriously great 2007 (No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood, The Assassination of Jesse James, etc.). Just making that official right now. Almost every movie I've seen over the past couple of months has gone straight to or near the top of my list... Prisoners, Gravity, 12 Years a Slave, Dallas Buyers Club, Inside Llewyn Davis... and now American Hustle, which is easily the most fun I've had watching a movie all year.

Amy Adams is always great, but this very well could be the best she's ever been. She's absolutely on fire from start to finish. Probably one of Bale's most memorable performances as well. He's so, so good, and so incredibly funny in a way I wasn't expecting. As is Bradley Cooper, who is somehow becoming one of my favorite actors as of late. Even Louis C.K. kills it in a smaller role, but one that was actually slightly more prominent than I thought it'd be. He plays the straight man to Cooper's brand of crazy and their scenes together are some of my favorites in the whole film. And while I've never not liked Jennifer Lawrence, I've never really understood the hype surrounding her either. At least until now. It's kind of a slow-burn performance, in that she becomes funnier / more integral to the the plot as the story progresses, but by the end she had the audience howling. Just so many awesome performances all around. Best ensemble cast of the year, hands down.

Really, I can't praise this movie enough, and I can't remember the last time I was this consistently entertained for two+ hours. It just moves at such a rapid, sweeping pace, with a genuine laugh coming once at least every scene. Not to mention, it's so insanely quotable. Also... the hair. The hair is a character all its own, and one of the best things in a movie full of greatness.

I can't believe we still have Her and Wolf of Wall Street to go, both of which are getting stellar reviews. Along with Anchorman 2 and Lone Survivor. As of now, while I still think 12 Years a Slave is the best movie of the year, and Inside Llewyn Davis is probably my favorite, American Hustle is easily the most watchable. In fact, if I had to pick one movie from the past few weeks to see again with family over the holidays, it'd be this one. No question.

American Hustle hit theaters in limit release this weekend and goes wide next weekend, on December 20.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 12/15/2013 1:28p).]
Teacher_Ag
AG
Man....this is a really inconvenient time to have a new baby....I'm missing out on some real gems.
TCTTS
AG
Look at this way... in a few months you'll not only be getting more sleep, you'll have a ton of great movies to watch on demand. Congrats, btw.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Thanks! It's been great, but still, missing seeing GREAT movies in the theater kills me. Nothing beats seeing a great movie in the theater. For instance, since you're talking American Hustle here, when I imagine not having seen The Fighter in the theater but in my living room instead, the thought kills me. GREAT movies need to be seen on the big screen.
TCTTS
Duncan Idaho
I can't wait for this
Kashchei
AG
The one movie I am looking forward to seeing over Christmas.
TCTTS
AG
I should probably also emphasize that this is definitely a drama. It's not all fun and games. Though even the drama is lively and entertaining. Even amusing. If that makes sense.
Duncan Idaho
why would someone think this is anything but a drama?
TCTTS
AG
^ Felt that I initially painted it as all fun & games. Or at least more comedic than it really is. Just wanted to clarify that it does go to some dark places at times.
GoAgs92
AG
This one one I actually want to see. Of course silver linings playbook ended up a mess a the end hopefully this one is good all the way through.
Professor Frick
AG
quote:

It also got a golden globe nomination for best comedy
ChipFTAC01
AG
I really want to see this. I have a feeling Christmas and a wedding in the next two weeks are going to throw a huge wrench in my movie watching plans.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
It also got a golden globe nomination for best comedy

Good point.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:

The trailers I've seen make it look pretty funny.
schmendeler
AG
looking forward to this one. hope it's good!
Duncan Idaho
interesting i haven't read anything about it since the first teaser came out and I didn't know about the golden globe.

Not sure if I am excited about it being a comedy.
Keegan99
AG
Not sure how I missed putting this one on my radar screen. Planning things to do on a slow sports weekend and this is definitely on the agenda!
TCTTS
AG
Just a reminder that this goes (fully) wide tomorrow.
Thunder18
AG
really excited about this one
Oknows
AG
Loved it. Amazing cast.
TCTTS
schmendeler
AG
Saw it last night. Enjoyed it, but didn't love it. I was never bored but it did have times it got slow, could have used a little tightening up. Jennifer Lawrence I thought was the highlight. Bale and cooper were both very good. Amy Adams was fine. I did enjoy seeing both Eli and Richard in another production featuring corruption and Atlantic City. I give it a B+
thats what I do
AG
I thought the cast was outstanding. They were able to create tension without a lot of action. I thought the cast was excellent. Amy Adams' performance surprised me in a good way. Bale was excellent. Cooper and Lawrence played very entertaining characters IMO.

Not a heavy hitting movie but something I could see myself watching again. I laughed quite a bit.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Man what a great movie. Best one I've seen in theaters over the last couple years. The opening scene is fantastic.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Also did anyone else get a goodfellas vibe? The narration and the way they used music reminded me a lot of it.
ja86
Captain Pablo
AG
It was alright. Good, not great

Captain Pablo
AG
And no, it is not heavy drama.

If someone was to call it a comedy, they would not be wrong.... It is definitely, er, "sort of" a comedy

[This message has been edited by Captain Pablo (edited 12/22/2013 9:49p).]
fightinags2013
AG
Loved it! The cast was amazing
iceman08
AG
Saw it last night, fantastic movie
DannyDuberstein
AG
Put me in the pretty good, not great category. Definitely more of a dramedy, but in the end, I was thinking it had tried to be more of a comedy, albeit a quirky one. Hard to say. But "quirky" is the word I'd use to describe this movie in a number of ways - overall quirky, quirky characters, etc.

[This message has been edited by DannyDuberstein (edited 12/23/2013 9:09a).]
Captain Pablo
AG
dramedy

That describes it pretty well
schmendeler
AG
i liked Argo better. not to say they are exactly alike but of dramedies, i like argo better.
Marsh
AG
I liked it.

I thought JLaw was the worst part of the movie, though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.