****NEW MUSIC CHECK - Q4 2013****

5,070 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Jim01
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm going to go listen to Renegade now.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
checked out the new Alter Bridge after a few reviews in this thread were positive and i have to concur. very very solid album

The new Avett Brothers is fantastic as well! a little more "poppy" than previous albums, but i like it nonetheless.
Spaceship
AG
I love the new Avett Brothers album
DonaldFDraper
AG
New album I really like...

Courtney Barnett - "The Double EP: A Sea of Split Peas"

New Arcade Fire song, "Afterlife"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r75BFcH4u2k

[This message has been edited by DonaldFDraper (edited 10/22/2013 8:16a).]
Aero Aggie
New Arcade Fire album Reflektor can be streamed (in it's entirety) here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBjqUEMlHTY#t=29

I guess the video is from their official site? I found the link on the front page of reddit and thought I'd share here.

I'm about halfway through now, it's pretty awesome so far.

[This message has been edited by Aero Aggie (edited 10/24/2013 6:34p).]
FtBendTxAg
AG
Reflektor wins
SpiralAg
I pirated the new Dead Letter Circus album already, but I have it preordered on iTunes for the 29th as well. I liked their first album, but I thought they were going to go full on corporate radio rock for their second.

Fortunately, they did not, and I really like the whole album. I usually lean toward longer, more developed music (Karnivool), but DLC is actually quite good at writing meaningful short songs. Alone Awake and The Veil are two really good songs off this album in my opinion.

I'd still like to see them experiment a little more with rhythm and move toward a more drawn-out, progressive style, but this is a good album. I was expecting about a 5/10. I'll give it an 8/10.

[This message has been edited by SpiralAg (edited 10/25/2013 2:53p).]
mazag08
AG
Its a soild album start to finish. But what made them great was the fast tempo rhythm mixed with normal tempo vocal placement. It was unique. The new alum just seems slower to me.. and more consistent in its tempo.

I love going from One Step to Big to Space on the Wall to This Long Hour.. etc etc.
SpiralAg
I actually thought Big and One Step were pretty awful songs compared to most of the rest of the album.

Here We Divide, Cage, The Drum, The Design, Space on the Wall, and the title track are where it's at on This is the Warning IMO.

I love the hell out of Space on the Wall. Every day when I sit down to play drums, I warm up by playing to that song, followed by Vicarious by Tool.
mazag08
AG
I loved the video for SOTW. And ya, the title track is awesome the way it builds up.

My favorites on the new album are the cure, alone awake, I am, say your prayers, and the veil. The rest are pretty meh so far. Then again.. it took me two years before I loved every song from TITW.

I'm actually jamming some dead letter circus at my tailgate right now.

[This message has been edited by mazag08 (edited 10/26/2013 6:44a).]
SpiralAg
That is probably my favorite music video of all time. Actually, it definitely is.
MW03
AG
You guys on board with Alexis Krauss of the Sleigh Bells yet? Their last album was better, but still lots of good stuff on this one. Plus, she's mega hot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kumSenrv35c
FtBendTxAg
AG
She's pretty good looking, i've partied with her a few times. (before she was famous)

her SB demos were awesome but their music has progressively started to suck since their first stuff.

[This message has been edited by FtBendTxAg (edited 10/28/2013 4:56p).]
MW03
AG
I couldn't compare them to demo tapes, but Born to Lose and Infinity Guitars are both still in heavy rotation in my car.

I do love her voice, though. And I love lo-fi. Usually I get my lo-fi fix through groups like The Mountain Goats or Elliot Smith or NMH. Sleigh Bells (and the Japandroids and Tame Impala) hit the spot when you need something heavier, though.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Arcade Fire fans... Thoughts on Reflektor?
zgood10
AG
Thought it was great after one listen
MW03
AG
Haven't listened yet, but I count "Funeral" among my favorite albums of all time. Excited to give this one a spin.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I don't know how I feel about it. And that's not a good thing as an Arcade Fire fan.
mazag08
AG
Never been a big fan. Its ok. Ive never found a song by them that stands out as anything sprcial.. and I still haven't. Its good music, but for me its background music.

[This message has been edited by mazag08 (edited 10/30/2013 11:13a).]
BQ08
AG
Been listening to:
Okkervil River- "the silver gymnasium"
Doomriders- "Grand Blood"
Modern Life Is War- "fever hunting"

Love all of them... Glad MLIW got back together.
Jim01
AG
After one listen I love the new Arcade Fire. Just fantastic. To me top three if the year looks like:

1. Arcade Fire
2. QOTSA
3. Arctic Monkeys
FtBendTxAg
AG
The new arcade fire is phenomenal.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Very excited for PTH's Volition. Scurrilous, IMO, had a few good songs, but more dull ones. Hopefully this will be a return to form.
Teddy Perkins
AG
I've been listening to the new Arcade Fire album and it is just phenomenal. Does anyone know where you can catch the YouTube video that was the full album tease dubbed over Orpheus the movie with the lyrics in the top left corner before? I have to see it again and show my friends but it looks like it was taken down after the album released.

Found this looking for the video: http://entertainment.time.com/2013/10/29/brush-up-on-the-greek-myth-that-arcade-fire-is-singing-about/

[This message has been edited by Revival03 (edited 11/1/2013 2:43p).]
Sex Panther
AG
New Arcade Fire is legit
G Martin 87
AG
Maybe it doesn't technically count as "new music", but the long awaited remix of Rush's Vapor Trails sure sounds like a brand new album. The original album release in 2002 was full of distortion and clipped highlights. David Bottrill did a wonderful job cleaning everything up.
jdgilberg
AG
About halfway though Eminem MMLP2 and so far it's really really good
TexasAggies06
AG
quote:
Ive never found a song by them that stands out as anything sprcial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAai9x-0BtA

HTH
Jim01
AG
Amen, this version from Glastonbury 2007 changed everything to me:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZD7CNRSq28

Someone on TexAgs posted it a few years back in a "Best Festival Performances Of All Time" type thread. I only kind of knew of Arcade Fire but decided to watch. I was welled up by the end of it. Even watching it just know that video and that song get me. Just perfect.

I was in the pit about 15 feet in front of Win when they played the Woodlands and when they played that song it was a religious experience. Hopefully we all have had that at a concert, where a song and a moment you can just feel in your entire body. Your mind is blown. That was one of those moments.

[This message has been edited by Jim01 (edited 11/14/2013 7:44a).]
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.