Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

145,512 Views | 1235 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by The Dog Lord
bluefire579
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Got a few ideas for ya Patrick

Your characters could travel the narrow, tree shrouded paths of the Weighting Forest of Aurlives to reach the mountains. From there they must traverse Deadlines Pass and then Expectations Descent. When they reach the city of Stillnothing they must head to the Writer's Block of the Arts District and finally stop at Patience's End.

At that point they'll stop questing altogther, spend all of their time at conventions, and complain about how they couldnt possibly quest while King Convenient Excuse is being a big meanie

I love the timeline of this thread :
"OMG GREAT BOOK"
"When's the new one out?!?!"
"WHERE IS THE BOOK PATRICK"
"F it, what are other good books?
"Rothfuss should just give up and let someone else write it. He's a jerk"
"Crap I thought this post was news on a new book"
First time I've clicked on this thread, but I see I've already jumped to the last step
AtlAg05
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

He does talk about the movie/tv show, something. Lynn Manuel Miranda is doing to the music. He talks about casting and actors he likes.

I think he ignored every question about Book3

I think he has a standing rule around not asking about book 3. Or at least he tweeted to have people stop asking, either way it's dumb.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Progress is being made... and there's a Kingkiller TV show in the works?

https://www.newsweek.com/kingkiller-chronicle-book-3-release-date-patrick-rothfuss-doors-stone-1384701
mpl35
AG
Episode IV said:

Progress is being made... and there's a Kingkiller TV show in the works?

https://www.newsweek.com/kingkiller-chronicle-book-3-release-date-patrick-rothfuss-doors-stone-1384701
A month plus old update to say progress...but not fast progress.

Ban this MF!

You got my hopes up Episode IV...you sob.....
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Better than the December update that Rothfuss basically said "Stop ****ing asking about book 3, the more you ask the less I write"
jenn96
AG
Hopefully the utter thud which with GOT ended will disabuse him of the notion that he can count on TV writers to finish his story well.
mpl35
AG
I re-read the first two a couple months ago. Still great for book 1. Solid Book 2. Hate the liberal ****. I'd pay mucho dineros if the ***** would finish his book 3.
maverick2076
I won't pay a dime. Writers are employees of the public who are paid to entertain. If any other employee in any other industry performed as poorly or with as many bull**** excuses as Rothfuss, they would have been fired long ago.

There are plenty of other great writers, creating amazing worlds and telling engaging stories. You don't have to support garbage like Rothfuss or GRRM.
AtlAg05
AG
I'm just here to see who bumped this.

"Spreadsheet" updated.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Anything out there?
bearamedic99
AG
Funny you should ask

https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2977945

PS- there is another fantasy book thread on this board somewhere that I cannot find.
swimmerbabe11
I came to this thread to ask if anyone has read Gene Wolfe's Shadow & Claw.

But I'm scared that I'll get killed for bumping.

So, take this humor
A) I just saw a rumor for an august 2020 release.... *checks watch*... hmmmm

B) On goodreads Book 3 has a 3.38 rating..how I don't know.
mpl35
AG
Ass!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
This thread was started over 6 years ago... let that sink in
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill]I prefer the red pills[/url]
maverick2076
Let this sink in: in the time since Rothfuss first published The Name of the Wind (the first book in a trilogy that was already written, he claimed), Brandon Sanderson has published 41 novels, short stories, graphic novels, and collections. The Way of Kong's didn't publish until 2010, and he is already expecting to publish book 4 next year.

What has Rothfuss published since then? One novel, a handful of short stories/graphic novels, and about a thousand blog posts about how he can't write because Trump got elected.
bluefire579
AG
Should have known better than to expect an actual update when I saw this was bumped.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I'm mad at all you now for giving me hope. I'm going to flag my own post and try to get this thread locked or killed.

edit: so apparently you're not allowed to flag your own posts. Someone please flag me so staff can nuke this thing
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
swimmerbabe11
Why wouldn't you just flag my bump?

Also, I like all the other books I have learned about from this thread. Which is why I posted. I wanted to geek out about this Gene Wolfe book that I am reading.
ramblin_ag02
AG
You're weren't being malicious and I just wish this thread would go away. There are plenty of other good threads with fantasy recommendations
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
swimmerbabe11
This thread is legendary and will go away when the third book is made.. so never.
mpl35
AG
Can we hire Brandon Sanderson to write book 3 for Rothfuss?
shaynew1
AG
bluefire579 said:

Should have known better than to expect an actual update when I saw this was bumped.

I knew exactly what to expect when I opened this. And it makes my day.
Hagen95
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

I'm mad at all you now for giving me hope. I'm going to flag my own post and try to get this thread locked or killed.

edit: so apparently you're not allowed to flag your own posts. Someone please flag me so staff can nuke this thing
You know what you have to do to get this thread locked...

DO IT.
maverick2076
It's the only way I'll read the third book
ramblin_ag02
AG
?resize=1200%2C800

hunter2012
AG
Let's take a bet on who finishes their respective series first.

• Rothfuss with book 3
  • GRRM with books 6 & 7
  • Brandon Sanderson with 23+ books in the Cosmere

I'm heavily leaning towards Sanderson at this point.
swimmerbabe11
maverick2076 said:

It's the only way I'll read the third book

I think everyone who posted in this thread should just share one book. Like the twitter account 'saved you a click"
We all just take turns and mail it to the next person. No spoilers until the last person has read it.

The only problem with that...is that I think at this point I would need to re-read book 1 and 2.
maverick2076
No bet. GRRM is going to die of heart disease/diabetes in the next three years, and he probably isn't even writing on ASOIAF anyways. Rothfuss will have a stroke when Trump gets re-elected.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
maverick2076 said:

No bet. GRRM is going to die of heart disease/diabetes in the next three years, and he probably isn't even writing on ASOIAF anyways. Rothfuss will have a stroke when Trump gets re-elected.

Yep
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill]I prefer the red pills[/url]
Hudson2508
AG
I'm not sure if you're serious about 41 books but I wouldn't doubt it. Sanderson is so prolific and talented.

As much as I want to move on from Rothfuss and stop caring about book 3, I can't. I reread the first two this year and they're too damn good to give up on the final book. He's an asshat, but the books are remarkable.
maverick2076
41 was what I counted from Sanderson's published list since Rothfuss published Name of the Wind.
PatAg
AG
Hudson2508 said:

I'm not sure if you're serious about 41 books but I wouldn't doubt it. Sanderson is so prolific and talented.

As much as I want to move on from Rothfuss and stop caring about book 3, I can't. I reread the first two this year and they're too damn good to give up on the final book. He's an asshat, but the books are remarkable.
Exactly how I feel. I actually never reread them, maybe I should
SpreadsheetAg
AG
PatAg said:

Hudson2508 said:

Exactly how I feel. I actually never reread them, maybe I should
I can't put myself through he mental torture knowing there is still no conclusion
DanHo2010
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I came to this thread to ask if anyone has read Gene Wolfe's Shadow & Claw.
Yes, it's very good and very difficult. Definitely rewards a close read but from my experience, almost everyone who reads it has to then go read several third-party interpretations to start to really form the narrative. Not the kind of series you pick up lightly or read to pass the time on an airplane. There's a readthrough podcast called Alzabo Soup that might help as you go.
Dawale
https://www.kirkusreviews.com/news-and-features/articles/patrick-rothfuss-editor-calls-him-out-on-facebook/

Sorry to bump this but this was pretty big. Rothfuss' editor had a facebook post saying she didn't think he'd written anything in 6 years. She seemed pretty bitter about it. We may never see the third book.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.