Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

145,451 Views | 1235 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by The Dog Lord
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I totally got trolled this morning. A friend texted me and told me the third book was released.

I *ran* to my computer and googled and while doing it they called me and I answered and I was so angry I couldn't even speak.
wreckt01
That person would be dead to me...forever.
schmendeler
AG
That's pretty funny
titanmaster_race
swimmerbabe11 said:

I totally got trolled this morning. A friend texted me and told me the third book was released.

I *ran* to my computer and googled and while doing it they called me and I answered and I was so angry I couldn't even speak.

Terrible friend
PatAg
AG
maverick2076 said:

I loved that book too. I've reread it many times. I would probably be OK with waiting if:

A. Rothfuss hadn't marketed that book on the strength that the rest of the trilogy was already written. That was clearly a lie.

B. I hadn't read his blog. He is such a self-absorbed, whiny little beta ***** that it has soured me on anything he does. He has literally stated that he can't write because Trump won the election and he is too emotionally distraught. What a *****.
Yea, I wonder if a lot of the dissatisfaction would exist if he just didn't have that blog or twitter.
heddleston
AG
I have the first book on my e-reader waiting, i bouhht it a while back on a sale for a couple bucks... but ever since i learned about book three being this decade's Duke Nukem Forever/Chinese Democracy I'm staying out. That said, i think I may make a Tak board.
Rocag
AG
Sam Raimi to Direct 'Kingkiller Chronicles' for Lionsgate and Lin-Manuel Miranda

Quote:

Sam Raimi is in negotiations to direct Lionsgate's adaptation of "The Kingkiller Chronicles," based on Pat Rothfuss' classic novels.

In 2016, Lionsgate tapped "Hamilton" star and creator Lin-Manuel Miranda to serve as creative producer and musical mastermind of the feature film and TV series adaptations of "The Kingkiller Chronicle," along with Rothfuss. Miranda has the option to be involved in future stage productions as well.
Lionsgate had no comment on the Raimi news.

The film's script is being penned by Lindsey Beer, who served as a writer on "Transformers: The Last Knight." It will be based on the first book in Rothfuss' series, "The Name of the Wind."

The series is centered on the wizard Kvothe, who survives a tragic childhood to become a notorious household name. "The Kingkiller Chronicle" series of books and novellas has sold 10 million copies, and the first two books "The Name of the Wind" and "The Wise Man's Fear" were New York Times bestsellers.

Showtime is also currently developing a "Kingkiller Chronicle" TV show based on the series.
Raimi has been weighing several projects currently in development, including the Skydance pic "Bermuda Triangle," but sources say this film is in the best position to be his next project.

Raimi, who may be best known for the "Evil Dead" series and the original "Spider-Man" trilogy, has been focused on his producing in recent years, and hasn't directed anything since 2013's "Oz the Great and Powerful" for Disney. He is repped by CAA.

Interesting... I like Raimi, though.
Al Bula
AG
Quote:

Sam Raimi is in negotiations to direct Lionsgate's adaptation of "The Kingkiller Chronicles," based on Pat Rothfuss' classic novels.
Classic? That's a good one.
MW03
AG
Fooled again
PatAg
AG

The film's script is being penned by Lindsey Beer, who served as a writer on "Transformers: The Last Knight."

Yikes
titanmaster_race
RPM said:

Quote:

Classic? That's a good one.

I don't think you can use the term "classic novels" to refer to 2 books of an incomplete trilogy.
titanmaster_race
PatAg said:

The film's script is being penned by Lindsey Beer, who served as a writer on "Transformers: The Last Knight."

Yikes

Ha! Suck it rothfuss. What happens when you stop writing? Lindsay Beer starts writing for you.
jenn96
AG
titanmaster_race said:

PatAg said:

Yikes

Ha! Suck it rothfuss. What happens when you stop writing? Lindsay Beer starts writing for you.
Lolol. At least GRRM got Benioff and Weiss to finish his tale. Takeaway - get at least 4 novels done before you flake the f-ck out.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Still nothing eh?
AtlAg05
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Still nothing eh?

Damn you sir, damn you!

This is a good sign right? He's asking people for ideas?
shaynew1
AG
These bumps make me so happy.

Flounder harder pat!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
AtlAg05 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Still nothing eh?

Damn you sir, damn you!

This is a good sign right? He's asking people for ideas?
Procraste Nation
ramblin_ag02
AG
Got a few ideas for ya Patrick

Your characters could travel the narrow, tree shrouded paths of the Weighting Forest of Aurlives to reach the mountains. From there they must traverse Deadlines Pass and then Expectations Descent. When they reach the city of Stillnothing they must head to the Writer's Block of the Arts District and finally stop at Patience's End.

At that point they'll stop questing altogther, spend all of their time at conventions, and complain about how they couldnt possibly quest while King Convenient Excuse is being a big meanie

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
schmendeler
AG
anyone have any updates?

for the people hoping for an announcement... gotcha.
MidnightYell2003
AG
He consistently reviews and rates books that he reads on Goodreads:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/108424.Patrick_Rothfuss

It looks like in July, he read 7 books. Maybe that's not a good sign for progress.
Claude!
Politics and writers block aside, I finished the first two novels and had little desire to pick up #3. The framing story is interesting, but his time at the academy read to me like a semi-mature Harry Potter, except nobody involved is likeable.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
MidnightYell2003 said:

He consistently reviews and rates books that he reads on Goodreads:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/108424.Patrick_Rothfuss

It looks like in July, he read 7 books. Maybe that's not a good sign for progress.
He says he reads a book (or two) per day.
caleblyn
Reminds me of Stephen King finishing Dark Tower. Took forever and then it seemed rushed for the last two!
AtlAg05
AG
Got me again

bearamedic99
AG
AtlAg05 said:

Got me again

I feel like we need a FAQ thread stickied for this board that includes the rule not to comment on this thread until there is real news. A while back there was news of a film adaption of the series but i have not heard anything in months.
bearamedic99
AG
no news just a bump
Vince Blake
Apparently there is a series in the works for Showtime with Lin-Manuel Miranda as executive producer and writing the songs. There is a movie too that Sam Rami was going to direct but no longer is. The link below says the series is a prequel to the movie. Not sure if that means the movies will be older Kvothe and series young Kvothe or what. At this point I hope Kingkiller gets the GoT treatment and others finish out the story.
Link: http://sciencefiction.com/2018/12/01/raimi-kingkiller-chronicle/
maverick2076
Hopefully Rothfuss will have a stroke and die when Trump gets re-elected and Sanderson will finish the series.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
maverick2076 said:

Hopefully Rothfuss will have a stroke and die when Trump gets re-elected and Sanderson will finish the series.
Acceptable.
swimmerbabe11
ramblin_ag02 said:

Got a few ideas for ya Patrick

Your characters could travel the narrow, tree shrouded paths of the Weighting Forest of Aurlives to reach the mountains. From there they must traverse Deadlines Pass and then Expectations Descent. When they reach the city of Stillnothing they must head to the Writer's Block of the Arts District and finally stop at Patience's End.

At that point they'll stop questing altogther, spend all of their time at conventions, and complain about how they couldnt possibly quest while King Convenient Excuse is being a big meanie

I love the timeline of this thread :
"OMG GREAT BOOK"
"When's the new one out?!?!"
"WHERE IS THE BOOK PATRICK"
"F it, what are other good books?
"Rothfuss should just give up and let someone else write it. He's a jerk"
"Crap I thought this post was news on a new book"
AgLiving06
maverick2076 said:

All publishers should put language in the contract that says if the original author takes to long or dies, Sanderson gets to come in and finish the book.

We'd have a lot more complete series at this point.
SpreadsheetAg
AG

He does talk about the movie/tv show, something. Lynn Manuel Miranda is doing to the music. He talks about casting and actors he likes.

I think he ignored every question about Book3
rononeill
Dammit!
maverick2076
AgLiving06 said:

maverick2076 said:

All publishers should put language in the contract that says if the original author takes to long or dies, Sanderson gets to come in and finish the book.

Fans would start bumping off dawdling authors to get a Sanderson ending for languishing series.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
maverick2076 said:

AgLiving06 said:

maverick2076 said:

Fans would start bumping off dawdling authors to get a Sanderson ending for languishing series.

And thus would begin the Golden Age of Fantasy.

Also, I've been waiting on this book so long without news that I legitimately forget this series exists at times

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.