Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

145,479 Views | 1235 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by The Dog Lord
mpl35
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Did you read my post?
I'd never put out the phrase "mostly completed" when we have less than half a series in print after a decade. I understand that they are more self contained stories than many. However, I never walked a away from reading any of the 3 books and didn't immediately want the next in the series. So I guess I'm just offering a caution that it will be a long time until they are done!

I do agree that Stormlight and Gentlemen *******s are outstanding and well above the other choices.
Ok, so in a literal sense, Lynch is not "mostly completed" with the series. That wasn't the intent of my post. And I certainly didn't speak on whether it was a series I wished to read more of at the conclusion of each novel. Of course I wanted to read more.

All in all, I think it's a good series for someone to read without worry of waiting ages for the next book for a resolution. You get that payoff in each book. That's my point. If I were to compare to anything, I'd say they're like a Marvel Movie. Each Iron Man, Capt America, Thor etc. has a self-contained plot and villian but there is also some connections to the over-arching Avengers story and the Thanos conflict. I could easily see someone reading Book 1 of the GB series and stopping there, fully satisfied. (Note: satisfied in terms of story resolution. Obviously, I loved the characters and stories, which is why I wanted to read more.)
Gotcha. The last person I gave the series to was grumpy when she read the first 2 books and then found out it wasn't completed. So I'm more cautious these days.

I think your point is particularly true about book 1. It was really self contained. The others, less so....or maybe I'm just that hooked into the series now.
M.C. Swag
AG
I hear ya, I thought book 2 had a cheap hook but luckily new readers today can go straight to the next one. Book 3 isn't much of a cliffhanger as it is just more of a plot teaser for the next novel.
MW03
AG
quote:
Okay, I am going to let you choose my next series to start. Here are the choices...

Farseer Trilogy - Robin Hobb
Chronicle of the Unhewn - Brian Staveley
Stormlight Archive - Brandon Sanderson
Gentleman ******* - Scott Lynch

To help, I have highly enjoyed; Kingkiller, Dark Tower, HP, Inheritance, LOTR, The Circle (Ted Dekker)

I'm a huge fan of the 2 Stormlight books, and we apparently have a very similar taste. I also enjoyed Lynch's ******* books, but I put them behind the Stormlight books.

I don't see Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy on your list, so in the event you read it and it didn't qualify for inclusion on the list of series you have highly enjoyed, I would go for Lynch.
M.C. Swag
AG
Good addition. Mistborn was very entertaining. A great warm up for Stormlight!
caleblyn
So, mistborn before starlight?
M.C. Swag
AG
Mistborn is a completed trilogy that has very loose tie ins to Stormlight. So yea, I'd start there.
caleblyn
mpl35
AG
quote:
Mistborn is a completed trilogy that has very loose tie ins to Stormlight. So yea, I'd start there.

Absolutely. it Is damn good. I'd put it behind stormlight, Malazan, king killer, and gentlemen *******s in my ranking, but it is top ten and much better than hobb.
KidDoc
AG
I really like Sanderson's Reckoners series as well. Not fantasy more dystopian near future but very good.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Absolute
AG
quote:

Mistborn aren't related at all, are they? Other than the author.
MW03
AG
Not related, but pretty relatively similar.
mpl35
AG
quote:
They are in a way. This guy touches on it. You can certainly read them all separately, but he has a tiny bit of overlap between them. From elantris to mistborn to words of radiance.
titanmaster_race
quote:
quote:
They are in a way. This guy touches on it. You can certainly read them all separately, but he has a tiny bit of overlap between them. From elantris to mistborn to words of radiance.

Don't forget warbreaker
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Read Mistborn. It is great but more importantly it sets you up for the Wax and Wane series which is a lot of fun
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
quote:

Mistborn aren't related at all, are they? Other than the author.
Yes, they're related. They take place in a larger conflict in Sanderson's Cosmere.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
It's been an open secret for a while that Sanderson's fantasy novels share a common background setting and mythology, the 'Cosmere'. In his first five novels - Elantris,Warbreaker and the Mistborn trilogy - this took the form of a couple of easter eggs. Most notably, a character called Hoid plays a minor, background role in all five books, apparently observing events with interest.
Hoid takes a much more substantial role in Stormlight. So, you don't need to read Mistborn to understand Stormlight, but they are tied to a greater whole.
Absolute
AG
I have read all of them and must admit I had not seen any connection between the different series (other than the obvious one of the two mistborn trilogies.)

Did recently read the add on secret history novella in the mistborn series. It actually hints a lot more to that kind of connection I suppose.

caleblyn
Thanks for the help. I listen to books from the library. So I am waiting for them to arrive from another library. Looks like Locke will be first.
titanmaster_race
quote:
Thanks for the help. I listen to books from the library. So I am waiting for them to arrive from another library. Looks like Locke will be first.

Madmarttigan
AG
The cosmere connection is so small in Sanderson books I would not take that into consideration when picking which book to read. The cosmere is more exciting to super Sanderson nerds and normal readers don't notice it all, myself included.
bangobango
AG
quote:
The cosmere connection is so small in Sanderson books I would not take that into consideration when picking which book to read. The cosmere is more exciting to super Sanderson nerds and normal readers don't notice it all, myself included.

Agreed
thaed137
AG
One series of books I also recommend is the The Death Gate Cycle. It was probably the first series of fantasy books that really hooked me and got me started reading into the genre. They are also probably my wife's favorite series since high school.
caleblyn
Started the Locke Lamora book. I am listening to it on audio and shewee, I will have to turn it off when the kiddos are in the truck!
TyHolden
AG
just started reading the second book. i didn't want to read the whole thread because it seems to give too much away. do we know if/when the tv series will be released?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Good guys can't also be smug turds? Like Ironman?

The lead female is a tease; but he's also had other women.

I like the series; I just wishRothfuss would ****ing finish book 3!!!!
bodaciousbood14
AG
I didn't read through all 16 pages of this but I'm sure the Sword of Truth series has been mentioned by Terry Goodkind. Wayyyyyyy better than the sad pathetic attempt at a tv series.

titanmaster_race
New Gentleman Bastages book was supposed to be released this month, after a 3 year wait. Instead or gets delayed to 2017.

If Sanderson wasnt writing, I might give up on the fantasy genre. These authors are so damn frustrating.
Clavell
AG
quote:
I didn't read through all 16 pages of this but I'm sure the Sword of Truth series has been mentioned by Terry Goodkind. Wayyyyyyy better than the sad pathetic attempt at a tv series.
Well when you try and scrub the Ayn Rand philosophy that ran front and center through the series you aren't left with much.
AtlAg05
AG
No kidding on Sanderson, he has a Stormlight novella complete through its first draft and 73% complete on Stormlight 3.
maverick2076
quote:
New Gentleman Bastages book was supposed to be released this month, after a 3 year wait. Instead or gets delayed to 2017.

If Sanderson wasnt writing, I might give up on the fantasy genre. These authors are so damn frustrating.

Scott Lynch has had some pretty severe mental and emotional problems before. I never thought we would see book 3, to be honest, so a delay on book 4 isn't unsurprising.
MW03
AG
I'm halfway through the 2nd Joe Abercrombie book, and this thing is getting intense. I need to see The Bloody Nine and Kaladin fight it out for my love.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Finally got around to reading the Kingkiller Chronicle and just finished Book 2. SUPER impressed. really found myself immersed in the world Rothfuss created. I wish i could jump right into book 3, and REALLY wish there were more novels set in the world.

So that said, based on what i have read in this thread, i am debating between Lynch's Gentleman ******* series or Abercrombie's First Law series as next up.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Quote:

just finished Book 2. SUPER impressed. really found myself immersed in the world Rothfuss created. I wish i could jump right into book 3
It's been 3 years waiting for me - see OP
MW03
AG
Finished the 3rd Abercrombie book... I'll save my comments for those of you reading or set to read, but damn.
aggiebq03+
MW03 said:

I'm halfway through the 2nd Joe Abercrombie book, and this thing is getting intense. I need to see The Bloody Nine and Kaladin fight it out for my love.

Might as well throw Kelsier and Kvothe into the ring as well. Maybe Kellanved also.

(I'm seeing a theme with fantasy authors and the letter K...)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.