Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

145,443 Views | 1235 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by The Dog Lord
Hudson2508
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd power through Alloy of Law because Mistborn 5 - Shadows of Self is really good.

Also just saw a tweet from Sanderson saying that if he keeps adding chapters to Stormlight 3 it's going to be twice as long as Words of Radiance....that's nuts.
AgLiving06
quote:
Just started Mistborn #4.

Holy sheet what a brutal opening.

Lessie
AgLiving06
quote:
I'd power through Alloy of Law because Mistborn 5 - Shadows of Self is really good.

Also just saw a tweet from Sanderson saying that if he keeps adding chapters to Stormlight 3 it's going to be twice as long as Words of Radiance....that's nuts.

And I'll read every word of it...That series is his masterpiece and given how strong his other books are, this series has the potential to be incredible.
NoHo Hank
AG
I can read and reread those books. The 4v2 duel in book 2 is one of the best chapters in any fantasy novel I've ever read. Those books are incredible.
maverick2076
quote:
quote:

And I'll read every word of it...That series is his masterpiece and given how strong his other books are, this series has the potential to be incredible.

This. Sanderdon is the greatest writer fantasy has right now.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
Everything Sanderson does is amazing
Madmarttigan
AG
Alloy and shadows have been my least favorite but still pretty good.

I was hesitant about the reckoners but it was fantastic so far, perhaps more designed for a simpler/younger reader but still a blast to read.
AgLiving06
quote:
Alloy and shadows have been my least favorite but still pretty good.

I was hesitant about the reckoners but it was fantastic so far, perhaps more designed for a simpler/younger reader but still a blast to read.

I was hesitant as well for no real good reason. Steelheart sat on my kindle for a good 2 months while I reread some other books.

Finally gave it a shot and was hooked. Definitely a lighter popcorn type book series, but it's entertaining and a fun easy story line to follow.

Seriously though...he's a freaking machine when it comes to writing. If you go to his website, he shows you were he is in the process for each of his series and it's just incredible the amount of books he's churning out.
mid90
AG
quote:

Pushing 2000 pages. Wow.
RedbeardAG
AG
quote:

I assume he is kind of kidding here. I know he has said in the past that WoR was pushing the limits for the size of book the publishing company could physically produce. Although....maybe he could put it on that super thin bible paper...
Sanderson is kind of like the literary equivalent of Marvel studios at this point. He has built up enough good will, that I'll read anything he puts out at this point.
LawAg05
AG
quote:
I can read and reread those books. The 4v2 duel in book 2 is one of the best chapters in any fantasy novel I've ever read. Those books are incredible.
Agreed. When Kaladin comes out of the stands I couldn't put the book down. Very, very good storytelling.
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:
Agreed. When Kaladin comes out of the stands I couldn't put the book down. Very, very good storytelling.

Speaking of Kaladin, he might be my favorite character ever. Definitely in my top 5.
MW03
AG
I blitzed through Stormlight 1 & 2 after finishing the last Dresden book, and I was very pleased. I will say that it took nearly all of both books for me to give a rip about Shallan. Good lord that was a slow, slow burn.

Reminded me of going through GOT and coming on ANOTHER Dany chapter when all I wanted was to know WTF was going on in Westeros.
mpl35
AG
Just found this thread. Nice.

In addition to many of the series already mentioned, I enjoyed:

• Jim Butcher's The Codex Alera (Roman society in fictional world with an interesting magic system)
  • Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Legacy (first three...the others continue and taper off. bdsm so not might not be everybody's taste)
  • Katherine Kerr's Deverry and the Westlands series. It is long and ebbs and flows, but covers generations of protagonists. Fun when I read it a LONG time ago.
  • Dennis McKiernan. Some are simple. He basically wrote a fictional rip off that was the retaking of the Mines of Moria. But he has many novels in the same world that are fun and interesting.
  • Elizabeth Moon's The Deed of Paksenarion. I thought book 1 was the best, but the trilogy is still good.
  • Jennifer Fallon's The Tide Lord Quartet. I had one main issue with the power structure in the world, but the books were fun to read.
  • Cameran Miles' The Traitor Son Cycle. Something that is newer. Lots of war and battles, magic system is a bit hard to understand compared to others

I have a couple of hundred others, but these are the fun more recent ones I'm into. None are as epic as Jordan, Sanderson, etc...but they are enjoyable reads to fill in the time waiting of Rothfuss to finish book 3.
Hudson2508
AG
So just finished Republic of Thieves and the ending was pretty awesome. Really interesting to see what they do with the characters moving forward. Anyone know Lynch's timeline for the next book?

I will also pile on to the Sanderson love. The two Stormlight novels are probably my two favorite fantasy novels of all time. I also love that you know almost exactly when his next book will hit because he constantly updates us and doesn't hide anything. He truly is a prolific and brilliant author. I love Martin, Rothfuss, Butcher, Abercrombie, etc., but Sanderson is my favorite of the epic fantasy bunch because of how focused he is.

Need to read the next Reckoner book, Firefight I think, and then not sure what author I'll pick up waiting for Sanderson's next few.

MW03
AG
I recently got The Final Empire after finishing Words of Radiance, but I'm going to have to wait a bit. Too much of the same thing at the moment.
maverick2076
quote:
quote:
quote:

Speaking of Kaladin, he might be my favorite character ever. Definitely in my top 5.

He's so well written. You can really feel his internal struggles with right and wrong, and Syl is an awesome literary device and character in her own right.
Hudson2508
AG
Kaladin's arc in the first book makes this grown man come close to tears many times.
ccaggie05
AG
I need to read this thread and write down all the recommendations. I read the first two Mistborn books and it looks like I need to finish that series along with the other Sanderson books immediately.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
For some reason I got really bogged down in The Hero of Ages and stopped reading it. I need to try again or maybe give Audible a shot at it. I put both of the first two books down for about 6 months halfway through each. When I gave them another try, I loved them
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
quote:
quote:
Bump. Thanks for all the advice last year. I'm now up to date on Stormlight, Kingkiller, ASOIAF, raven's shadow, and I read the Dark Tower series. All great!
So now I'm trying to decide on Mistborn, Dresden, or Joe Abercrombie. Thoughts?
Bump. Thanks again. I decided on Mistborn. Finished them up, and must admit I was wrong. They were definitely entertaining. I wouldn't want to go any more PG than that, but it was plenty good.

Ryan's next installment is out on 7/7. Then I'm thinking I'll try Abercrombie next. Then I guess I'll just wait on GRRM, Rothfuss, and Sanderson.

Anyone read Week's Lightbringer series? Where would it fall on the mature content scale? More like GRRM, Rothfuss or more G rated like WoT?
I come back to this thread every so often, and love it! My series updates:
ASOIAF - Waiting
King killer - waiting
Raven's shadow - what a disappointing finish. Book 1 was so good.
Mist born - finished. Solid series.
Dark tower - finished. I disliked the ending, but good journey.
Stormlight - waiting.
Lightbringer - currently 1/2 way through book 1. I'm liking it so far.

I want to try Abercrombie but I don't think he does audiobook formats.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
I am about halfway through the Blade itself, and am pleasantly surprised; I think Abercrombie is another author to add to the Butcher, Sanderson, Rothfuss, Martin pantheon.
bangobango
AG
Not sure if it's been mentioned but just thought of it, the "NIght Angel" Trilogy is a fun, easy read.
PatAg
AG
I really enjoyed the first law series by Abercrombie. Unfortunately, it looks like his new series "Shattered Sea" is young adult.
RedbeardAG
AG
quote:
I really enjoyed the first law series by Abercrombie. Unfortunately, it looks like his new series "Shattered Sea" is young adult.
His young adult stuff is decent. The problem I have with Abercrombie is his stuff is so damn heavy and depressing. Just horrible things happening to main characters over and over. I like him but I have to take breaks between his books.
mpl35
AG
quote:
quote:
His young adult stuff is decent. The problem I have with Abercrombie is his stuff is so damn heavy and depressing. Just horrible things happening to main characters over and over. I like him but I have to take breaks between his books.
This. I don't read fantasy so I can be depressed. I can read the news for that!
nikator
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Bump. Thanks for all the advice last year. I'm now up to date on Stormlight, Kingkiller, ASOIAF, raven's shadow, and I read the Dark Tower series. All great!
So now I'm trying to decide on Mistborn, Dresden, or Joe Abercrombie. Thoughts?
Bump. Thanks again. I decided on Mistborn. Finished them up, and must admit I was wrong. They were definitely entertaining. I wouldn't want to go any more PG than that, but it was plenty good.

Ryan's next installment is out on 7/7. Then I'm thinking I'll try Abercrombie next. Then I guess I'll just wait on GRRM, Rothfuss, and Sanderson.

Anyone read Week's Lightbringer series? Where would it fall on the mature content scale? More like GRRM, Rothfuss or more G rated like WoT?
I come back to this thread every so often, and love it! My series updates:
ASOIAF - Waiting
King killer - waiting
Raven's shadow - what a disappointing finish. Book 1 was so good.
Mist born - finished. Solid series.
Dark tower - finished. I disliked the ending, but good journey.
Stormlight - waiting.
Lightbringer - currently 1/2 way through book 1. I'm liking it so far.

I want to try Abercrombie but I don't think he does audiobook formats.

For GRRM have you read the three dunk and egg and the two dance of Dragons prequel novellas?
---------------

"A man without a belly is like a house without a balcony"
- Old Turkish saying
mpl35
AG
Am I allowed to answer?

I like the side stories and prequels. Dunk and egg.

Also the ICE novels for Malazan.
nikator
AG
quote:
Am I allowed to answer?

Of course you are... Plus they have mentioned both Dunk and Egg on the last two seasons... Plus if you read book 3 of dunk and egg you figure out who the three eyed crow Brand is hanging out with is. Also in book 4 of the main series the ancestry of a certain amazon is hinted at.
---------------

"A man without a belly is like a house without a balcony"
- Old Turkish saying
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
quote:
Am I allowed to answer?

Of course you are... Plus they have mentioned both Dunk and Egg on the last two seasons... Plus if you read book 3 of dunk and egg you figure out who the three eyed crow Brand is hanging out with is. Also in book 4 of the main series the ancestry of a certain amazon is hinted at.
THIS IS NOT A GAME OF THRONES SPOILER THREAD!
KidDoc
AG
quote:
I am about halfway through the Blade itself, and am pleasantly surprised; I think Abercrombie is another author to add to the Butcher, Sanderson, Rothfuss, Martin pantheon.
The only active author I think is better than Abercrombie is Sanderson. I love Abercrombie's characters and style, so refreshing and engaging.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ccaggie05
AG
Is there like a master list of big fantasy series to look into? I've only read books 1 and 2 of Mistborn and book 1 of ASOIAF.

mpl35
AG
Read the entire thread. I think you will see a number of authors consistently mentioned. You might like them all or favor certain types.

Rothrfuss
Sandersen
Martin
Tolkien
Jordan
Lynch
Erikson
Abercrombie

Butcher
Hobb
Brett
Bakker
Weeks

W.C. Griffin '09
AG
I would love to see some of these series on screen. Mistborn would make a pretty cool tv series. Stormlight would be amazing but it would be quite an undertaking
KidDoc
AG
quote:
I would love to see some of these series on screen. Mistborn would make a pretty cool tv series. Stormlight would be amazing but it would be quite an undertaking
I think Mistborn would be too confusing as a movie with its complex magic systems, would be better as a Game of Thrones type tv show.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.