Anybody here watch Bar Rescue?

29,638 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by chico
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I'm guessing he's 5'11" on the show he looks like he's about 6'6"

LOL, I thought he was a big guy too.

I caught a couple of shows during a marathon but bailed because I can't stand they way they cut for the commercials then have a recap when they come back.

dreyOO
Love Taffer. Had no idea he was that short.
GoAgs92
AG
Bar Rescue after the bar makeover.

So they send out a facebook blast to get to the bar at 8:30 for the re-opening, so 6 of us plan to go...then they blast out...not until 10:30, which sucks but everyone is still up for it.

So we head over to the bar at 10 and there is no parking anwhere near the place and the line to sign releases is 10x longer than on monday night. I guess word of mouth has gotten out, combined with the non freezing temps has brought everyone out. Seems like about 20% of the people were there on monday. I'm in line behind the lady that was called a great customer in the stress test and we talk for a bit but she is smoking like a chimney which is starting to give me headache.

We wait in line for about an hour and they eventually open the bar. They changed the name to Wildcatters Saloon, which is pretty lazy but makes sense since it's Texas.

They give us the pep talk about don't look in the camera, don't bug john taffer, and again the menu will be limited in what you can order. Again I am just hoping to get a few beers but can't due to the screwy drink menu they have to follow.

All the drinks are texas themed. One has pecan pie flavored syrup and some chocolate liquor in it, another has a raw jalapeno in some honey flavored booze (everyone said that drink was way too hot and didn't like it) called the Hot Katy. The food menu is all sandwiches, which looked pretty good but no one wants to eat at midnight. The food truck is probably the nicest one I've ever seen and the TV chef is in there making stuff.

So we finally get in but have to sit on the patio due to the bar being full which was fine since the weather was nicer and it's less smoky. There is again no waitress in sight and one of the women in the group wants to go to the bar because she thinks the "mixologist" is hot. So we go inside and the transformation was pretty nice, they've turned the dive into a more upscale place, even thought most of the changes are only cosmetic. There is a fake oil derrick and the color scheme is red and black, all the fancy liquor is back lit etc...and they have a new POS system (sounds like every other episode, right?). they have made no changes to the bathrooms since they won't be on TV anyhow.

Eventually a guy goes into the bar and gets a waitress to come out, no one at our table orders a drink since they all sound pretty bad and it's heading toward 1 A.M., they had said they would open up the entire bar menu later in the night, but never did since they got such a late start.

I double check John Taffer's height by standing right next to him just to make sure I was right about him being shorter than I thought the other night, he comes up to the bridge of my nose and I'm 6'3".

The people sitting at the bar are getting great service but everyone else isn't really getting squat and some people are vocally pissed. I don't really care since I just came to see how the show is made. The lady with the hots for the mixologist finally gets a drink at the bar(the pecan pie one) and it's meh.

The producer sees me and directs his interviewer to talk to me since I was there the night of the stress test. I basically BS about how the great the place is now and how i'll be hanging out there all the time yada yada yada. When I'm done she refers to me as God's gift since I'm aparently not an incoherent moron and made some funny jokes about how bad the bar was before the change. Out of the corner of my eye I can see my friends dying of laughter at my entire line of BS. Nobody else the table volunteers to talk. So I think I have a decent shot to get on the show, however i'm kinda oldish compared to the desired demo so I might not.

They seemed to mostly interview either hot girls or guys who had mohawks/cowboy hats on.

The new season starts March 9th. The crew does know that they are going to another bar here in town but not which one.

THE END
GoAgs92
AG
I was surprised by how many people were working on the production of the show, there were at least 20 people running around doing stuff.
dahouse
AG
They did a bar in Katy this week

Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
GoAgs92
AG
quote:
They did a bar in Katy this week

That's what my posts are about. It was interesting to see how they do it.

TXAG 05
AG
quote:
I caught a couple of shows during a marathon but bailed because I can't stand they way they cut for the commercials then have a recap when they come back.

This, each episode should be 30 minutes instead of an hour. They drag everything out so much and half the show is a recap of what you just watched.
Dread Pirate Roberts
I really enjoy it, but I've enjoyed it less this season. I like that he's not screaming at the owners for ten minutes - after while I start tuning out - but this season SEEMS more scripted than the past.

Taffer claims that everything is on the level and nothing is scripted, but that's hard to believe.
Josepi
AG
GoAgs92 - Thanks for the recap. That was a fun read

The best part about this show is the feature that Taffer claims to have invented:

The Butt Funnel

My wife and I laugh about that all the time.

[This message has been edited by Josepi (edited 1/10/2014 11:43a).]
GoAgs92
AG
Later in the night Taffer is sorta yelling at the film crew, all I hear is, "you're making me look like an *******!"

They don't seem too upset about it, and making him look like an ******* doesn't seem to be that hard.
chico
AG
thanks for the great hands-on reporting. I really enjoy the show & look forward to seeing this episode.
62strat
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm guessing he's 5'11" on the show he looks like he's about 6'6"

LOL, I thought he was a big guy too.

welcome to dvr
Velvet Jones
AG
The show is nothing but an ad for Diageo's brand portfolio.
JimboFlyFisher
AG
Definitely enjoy the show and I enjoy seeing how they rebrand. I know a lot of it is staged, but being in design/construction/marketing I'm interested in some of the concepts they come up with.

I've been meaning to take the wife to Austin for a trip, but the Brixton episode pushed that back. Reminded me that I usually escape that town coming within a gnats ass of multiple homicides.
Agnzona
The bars they did here in Arizona all had trouble with the cities afterwards for code violations and lack of proper permits or zoning. A few closed shortly after the show and one change back,only one I know of kept the changes and has done better. I do like the show and John, but my niece who's roommate worked at one of the bars said almost all of the drama and bad stuff they showed pre makeover was made up and or scripted.
Agnzona
DP

[This message has been edited by Agnzona (edited 1/12/2014 2:33p).]
Agnzona
TP

[This message has been edited by Agnzona (edited 1/12/2014 2:34p).]
duck79
AG
It was just announced at the Anheuser-Busch meetings that Taffer has signed on with AB for his show so expect to see a lot of Bud light, shock top, Stella and Black crown being pushed on his taps.
ATM9000
AG
Pretty sure bar 2 in houston is on that stretch of 1093 between westpark and hwy 6. It is a strip center bar I forgot the name of but the front facade and name completely changed overnight last night and there are large tv crew looking trucks in the parking lot.
chico
AG
Anybody else notice Taffers jackets never fit? Dude needs a tailor.
red river
BIG BOOBS IN TANK TOPS IS PLUS
chico
AG
I just hit up this place for lunch as I happened to be somewhat near it. Called WildCatter Saloon. Hard to find, just south of I-10 & west of downtown Katy off Bryant Rd. They were doing some maintenance on the bar but otherwise the place looked terrific. Well decorated, new chairs, nice bar, several TV's, big outdoor stage for live music across a walk-bridge over a creek. I was the only customer & sat outside since it's such a nice day. Thankfully I didn't notice any cheesy signs like "as seen on Spike TV" or "John Taffer's favorite drink". It looked really good.
Food came from a truck parked out back - had the pork sandwich & it was decent enough. Looks like it could be fun enough if a bunch of people were there at night. Workers there seemed eager to help me out, very friendly. Anybody know when they're airing the show?
maverick2076
^
Wildcatter's Saloon was an old biker bar called Bryant's Icehouse. They really didn't change it a whole lot, but apparently it was enough to piss off quite a few of the local clubs who held events and hung out there. A lot of the MC's are refusing to go back. Given the out of the way location and their traditional clientele, I wouldn't be surprised if this renovation costs them business instead of improving it...

[This message has been edited by maverick2076 (edited 3/13/2014 8:25p).]
cajunaggie08
AG
caught the episode last night. I didn't realize Katy was such a blue collar town with "only" 15,000 residents. I guess Jon didn't notice the sprawling suburbs just south of the bar.
GoAgs92
AG
Yeah that was pretty silly, Katy is a blue collar oil town...haha.

Guess that explains some of the questions we got, "what do you do for a living, SOMETHING BLUE COLLAR?"

"I BET YOU'D COME HERE FOR HAPPY HOUR AFTER A HARD DAY?"

uhhh..No and No.

The guy bought that place and the land for $1.1 million, wonder what other buildings came with it?

Been up there a couple times on Saturday night with the neighbors after going out to dinner, they do have no label and saint arnold on tap now so that's a plus for me. My wife does like the Jeff's Roughneck Sour, it's an Ok place but I only go there because it's so close to my house.
Jack Thauer
AG
quote:
The show is nothing but an ad for Diageo's brand portfolio.

This. But I still watch it.
cajunaggie08
AG
it make me chuckle when he mentioned the bar pays tribute to Katy's rich oil drilling history. it seemed like they had a stock oil/texas themed bar in mind and decided to use it for this one.
chico
AG
watched the episode last night. Good stuff. The expert cook they brought in was a bit lame - with no yelling or funny lines.
There's a big outdoor stage at the bar & I thought they'd incorporate that into the episode. But they were right to point out that it is a difficult bar to find.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.