WOW. J.J. Abrams really is directing STAR WARS EPISODE VII...

44,970 Views | 802 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Orlando Ayala Cant Read
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From Star Trek to Star Wars. After so many official denials. After so many claims that the same person would never take on both franchises. Insane...

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/jj-abrams-set-direct-next-star-wars-film-exclusive-74596

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/24/2013 3:51p).]
Head Ninja In Charge
boogieman
YouBet
AG
That light saber sound you just heard was my nerd boner extending.
MSFC Aggie
AG
YESSIR!!

[This message has been edited by MSFC Aggie (edited 1/24/2013 4:47p).]
Simplebay
AG
really loved his Star Trek treatment, the prologue to Into Darkness was awesome, Cumberbatch needs a spot in Star Wars now.

but, he needs to cut down the damn lens flares. Star Wars needs to be epic, not necessarily kinectic.

oh, and Super 8 was horrible.
BenFiasco14
AG
Intriguing ... Abrams is hit or miss
agproducer
AG
I liked Super 8, and Cloverfield. I think Abrams will do Star wars justice. Look what he did to Star Trek. He knows sci-fi.

Anything is better than the crappy Ep 1 and 2 that Lucas pumped out. The overdone CGI is completely distracting in those movies, and the dialogue is terrible. I'm a Star Wars fan, and those movies are so disappointing, I pretend they aren't there.

Ep 3 was decent.
Bose Ikard
quote:
Super 8 was horrible.

False.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
False.

False.
TCTTS
AG
Seriously, though, while I absolutely loved the first 45 minutes or so of Super 8, the story really does go downhill in the second half. I totally get why people enjoy the movie on the whole, as it's definitely fun, nostalgic, etc., but this insightful breakdown of the story offers a pretty convincing argument as to why the script ultimately misses the mark...

http://badassdigest.com/2011/06/11/spoiler-movie-review-super-8s-secret-is-a-terrible-script/

Good thing is, Abarms isn't writing Episode VII, only directing, which I'm 100% behind.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/24/2013 5:10p).]
Bose Ikard
quote:
quote:
False.

False.

False.
Bose Ikard
quote:
Seriously, though, while I absolutely loved the first 45 minutes or so of Super 8, the story really does go downhill in the second half. I totally get why people enjoy the movie on the whole, as it's definitely fun, nostalgic, etc., but this insightful breakdown of the story offers a pretty convincing argument as to why the script ultimately misses the mark...

I pretty much agree with that. But a movie that can be described in that manner is not horrible.
Simplebay
AG
I am not that sold on Michael Arndt. but he can't be worse than abrams having full writing control. surely.
Simplebay
AG
i very very much disliked super 8 because i didn't realise i was getting into JJ Abrams trying to rip off Close Encounters. Spielberg made that movie, and he made it even better years ago.

also, the hype leading up to Super 8 was somewhat misleading. so i countered the hype with opposite hyperbole, in calling it horrible.
Texaggie7nine
Super 8 left a lot to be desired, especially the ending.

I think the key factor is going to be the screenplay. If that Little Miss Sunshine writer can do it justice, then Abrams can certainly direct a good flick.

TCTTS
AG
quote:
I pretty much agree with that. But a movie that can be described in that manner is not horrible.

Agreed. It's not horrible by any means. Just somewhat misguided.
TCTTS
AG
Really interesting take on what J.J. directing may tell as about certain aspects of Episode VII...

http://www.slashfilm.com/editorial-what-does-j-j-abrams-directing-star-wars-episode-vii-tell-us-about-the-movie/
TCTTS
AG
FULL DISCLOSURE:

Anyone remember TheForce.net back in the day? It was *the* Star Wars news source all throughout the prequel era. At the risk of sounding like (even more of) a nerd, I used to manage the Episode II "scriptment" page there in the years immediately following The Phantom Menace...

http://theforce.net/episode2/storyline/

http://www.theforce.net/search/results.asp?SearchString=pit+droid&Section=episode2

We got so close to compiling an accurate version of what the eventual movie was going to entail, that Lucasfilm eventually ordered us to take down the page/document, a full year before the movie even hit theaters. Looking back, those were obviously horrible movies, and it was a blatant waste of time, but it was fun trying to crack the stories. The hype for those things put The Dark Knight anticipation to shame.

Anyway, point being, with Abrams at the helm, it's good to know that this will be one of the most secured and secretive productions ever. NOTHING will leak this go around, and it'll be refreshing to watch a Star Wars movie A) not directed by George Lucas, and B) one we'll know almost nothing about until its release. Definitely looking forward to that aspect...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/24/2013 5:40p).]
Texaggie7nine
I had a buddy on FreeRepublic.com back in the day that was one of the contributors to TheForce. He even had light sabers in his wedding photos.

TCTTS
AG
Ha, I remember that site, Texaggie7nine.

It's weird, I'm not a big Star Wars nerd or anything, but the prequels were like the first really huge thing when I started seriously getting into movies back in the late '90s - which also coincided with the explosion of the internet, movie news sites, etc. For whatever reason, I latched on to the development of the prequels, even though I had only seen the original trilogy only two or three times. If I had only known how bad they were going to be...
Texaggie7nine
Wow that sucks. I liken it to just becoming an Aggie fan right around when Fran got hired.

TCTTS
AG
Ha, that is a GREAT comparison. Coincidentally, I worked for the football team for five years around the same time - two years under Slocum... then three under Fran. There may be a pattern here...
Texaggie7nine
sorry to hear.

Would be nice if the Star Wars franchise took the same turn for the better with Abrams as we did with Sumlin.

Cyprian
TCTTS
AG
So, in that scenario, Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness are the equivalent of Sumlin's stint at Houston. Chris Pine = Case Keenum. Which would make the star of Episode VII the Johnny Football of movies. Or, Johnny Movie, if you will. Will be even more interesting to see this develop now.
Simplebay
AG
Aggie_Journalist
AG
^ Now that is funny
TCTTS
Kampfers
AG
I can live with it
TomHaverford
AG
Abrams doing Star Wars is what it takes for TCTTS and Simplebay to agree on something?!?
Duncan Idaho
i am not pleased by this news.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Abrams doing Star Wars is what it takes for TCTTS and Simplebay to agree on something?!?

Hahahaha. While I don't share his concern for screenwriter Michael Arndt (who I think will knock it out of the park), yeah... it looks like neither one of us particularly care for Super 8. And the Star Wars lens flare logo is pretty damn funny as well. Though, I do seem to be one of the few people who actually, unabashedly love the lens flares in Abrams' movies.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/24/2013 8:41p).]
TCTTS
AG
Another good argument as to why Abrams will make a great Episode VII director, even though Faraci liters his defense with digs. Either way, I completely agree with everything he says...

http://badassdigest.com/2013/01/24/why-jj-abrams-is-a-good-choice-for-star-wars-episode-vii/
Simplebay
AG
I have nothing against TC. He's provided stuff on here that even I didn't know.

Abrams is a fanboy of Star Wars. That's what Star Wars needs. And the ice planet from Star Trek, got Hoth inspiration all over it.

Judging from the Into Darkness planet as well, Abrams will absolutely nail the design and scope of the universe. He will need to nail down the pacing, story, characters, arc....basically all the difficult stuff.

Also....he needs to not make it an action movie. Star Trek was an action movie. A good movie....but an action scifi movie.

I'm nervous, not because Abrams is bad, or can't do it, but in my opinion he needs to channel his fanboydom into altering his directing style a bit in order to truly make a great star wars movie

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.