Who is going to Bonfire tonight

5,584 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by CUwhenitburns04
GCRanger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
to see this burn?

HERE!

BTHO tu!

[This message has been edited by GCRanger (edited 11/21/2006 1:58p).]
splits
looks great! so sad I can't be there.

is it just me, or was there a LOT more talk about it on here last year??
Jerzzy
its a 12 hr drive from atlanta....wish i could but i cant
Sox
AG
Are all logs in that structure touching the ground?

Obviously, it looks like the wedding cake design, but how have off campus bonfire folks changed the design to improve safety?
Jerzzy
sox all logs do toucch the ground and the plans have been signed off by a certified engineer

it also looks like there is a cable around the entire third 'tier' which helps ensure the stack stay together, that for some reason was left off of the 99 stack

[This message has been edited by Jerzzy (edited 11/21/2006 2:02p).]
AggieChemist
AG
that looks like a bonfire, not Bonfire.
GCRanger
AG
Sox, yes they are all touching the ground. They are just cut to show the appearance of a stacked wedding cake design.
swimmerbabe11
I wish I could. blah.
splits
maybe this year's will catch fire
Tree Hugger
AG
not real Bonfire
splits
last year's

when it WAS on fire
xhippieliberalx
AG
splits
splits
ugh, ignore the date. batteries fell out of my camera and I didn't realize it was stamping the wrong date on everything
Cheer
AG
all the logs touch the ground, 4 windle poles (named after Levi Windle, who died in Fall 04, and was a huge Bonfire supporter) are used as support for the centerpole, centerpole is one long log, instead of two spliced together, every log is connected to 3 other logs: the two next to it, and one on the inside layer. that's as much as I know, from an outsider's point of view. if you want more safety info, you can ask on the Bonfire forum for one of the pots to tell you.
aggiekeith
toy bonfire is cute
Cheer
AG
last year's Bonfire was great for about 5 minutes. woohoo!
xhippieliberalx
AG
You know, I really don't understand the snide comments about the off-campus bonfire. At least there are still Aggies out there who are trying to continue a tradition.
Tree Hugger
AG
If it isn't University sponsored, it just ain't right.
Uncooked Bacon
AG
Cheer, did you know Levi?
Comeby!
AG
If Aggies built it with the desire to beat the hell outta tu, then its Aggie Bonfire.

Whoop!
CUwhenitburns04
Too bad they couldnt have it on a Saturday this year or I would have made it down.
Keegan99
AG
quote:

So it wasn't 'right' until sometime in the late 1930's?
splits
hippie speaks the truth!!

and UB- I did
Cheer
AG
UB, I met him once or twice, when I was taking him home during CARPOOL. he was a regular.
Hagen95
AG
quote:

Since when did we ever care about what the University sponsored.
Tree Hugger
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Bonfire last burned in 1998.

This isn't Bonfire.
Sox
AG
Thank you all for the information.

I recall that particular design (all logs touching the ground) being mentioned as an alternative that would have the wedding cake look.

As for the validity of off campus bonfire...I appreciate the students on trying to preserve tradition, and I might be sold on it one day, but I'm just not there, yet...
toucan82

xhippieliberalx
AG
You "Ol' Army" types are very quick to give us "New Army" kids a hard time. We have a group of current students who bust their ass to build this bonfire in hopes to someday see a "real" one burn again, and they still get blasted.

Maybe if "Ol' Army" weren't so stuck on themselves, "New Army" might actually feel the need to get back to A&M's original glory.
aggie_wes
AG
seriously. so it's not the same, i don't think that anyone is going to argue that. But we don't have the option of having it the way old army did. at least there are people who still care enough to build a bonfire and people who still care enough to go. if you don't like it, start talking to the people who can bring it back to campus, otherwise, STFU.
Comeby!
AG
I would be considered Old Army amongst most here. Worked on 4 bonfires, built one, twice. I was not turned on by student bonfire the first yr or two but after seeing that old familiar flame last yr, my burning desire was revived. I don't care if its not on campus, I dont care if its not as tall, its still built by Aggies. The camaraderie is still the same out there, cutting logs, loading, stacking etc. Burn baby burn.
xhippieliberalx
AG
Frac...this is probably the first time I've actually thought I liked you.
East Dallas Ag
AG
hippie
Jerzzy
although i never saw a pre-99 bonfire, the off campus one was the closest thing i had

it was a blast going to cut and stack (even if i did only hand out PB&J sandwichs to the boys sometimes) but its the closest thing for me and i loved every minute of it (and my dad was proud i could use an ax to cut down tree), these ppl are trying to keep the tradition alive...get off their backs
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.