Practice slipping your car into neutral while driving

2,387 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by maroon barchetta
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If your accelerator is ever stuck, you always can shift into neutral and save your life.

But if you panic and keep trying to brake harder, you will die.

If you practice shifting into into neutral while driving, you will likely remember how to do this in an emergency. Obviously, practice this with no one around you on the road.

You're welcome in advance.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Sounds like a good way to **** up a transmission.
Dr.Rumack
Just when we thought your posts couldn't get any worse…
maroon barchetta
Dr.Rumack said:

Just when we thought your posts couldn't get any worse…

This
dabo man
AG
So in the 35 years that I've had a driver's license, the number of times that I've had problems with my accelerator is zero. I can't imagine how many accidents I might have caused slipping my car in and out of neutral though.

Thinking this is a parody post/very dry humor, but not certain...
FIDO*98*
AG
I've wondered how the people who have wrecked/died in "stuck accelerator" situations didn't figure this out in real time. In pretty much every one of these accidents they find that the brake was never touched and the driver was standing in the gas so I guess they aren't too bright to begin with
ac04
i don't know, i think OP is on to something. i regularly practice punching sharks in the face in case i am ever attacked by a shark.
Eliminatus
AG
ac04 said:

i don't know, i think OP is on to something. i regularly practice punching sharks in the face in case i am ever attacked by a shark.

I like to practice shooting out the window at cars behind me. It happens so often in movies that it is bound to happen to me and probably soon if I were to guess.
TexasRebel
AG
Weird. I shift into neutral about 5 times before I ever get up to speed.
maroon barchetta
Eliminatus said:

ac04 said:

I like to practice shooting out the window at cars behind me. It happens so often in movies that it is bound to happen to me and probably soon if I were to guess.

You should add jumping out of a moving vehicle and rolling without serious injury to escape being abducted.

It's made all the difference for me.
Caesar4
AG
Wow. I cannot imagine people who don't already know this.

AgLaw02
AG
What is OP even talking about? If your accelerator gets stuck in the down position all you have to do is hit the brakes. Brakes are powerful enough to stop the car.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
This is no joking matter - last summer I rented a 15 passenger van and drive around Southern California while carefully making sure I never went under 60
MouthBQ98
AG
Is this some sexual euphemism I have never heard before?
MouthBQ98
AG
Also, both my rides have three pedals. I push the left one down when in doubt. Or just set the stick out of gear. No problem.
double fault
It DOES happen

https://www.autosafety.org/major-recalls-toyota-sudden-acceleration/

Let's see if my bbcode works
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Eliminatus said:

ac04 said:

Shoot with both hands and just drive with your knees….
malenurse
AG
For one full year at A&M I had a motorcycle with a bad clutch. Started in neutral, would run about 5-10 feet, hop on and pop it into gear and drive. When I had to stop, I would slip it into neutral and coast to a stop.

wash - rinse- repeat
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Claude!
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.
Win At Life
AG
I've got an old Mustang with a 390ci and weak manual brakes. I regularly shift it into neutral when approaching stop signs and and lights, because, if left in gear, it will noticeably tug on the brakes.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Op better be careful or he's gonna have a lawsuit filed against him for indirectly causing accidents
-Ben There/R.C.
The Fife
TexasRebel said:

Weird. I shift into neutral about 5 times before I ever get up to speed.
Save the manuals!
91_Aggie
AG
Also, you should, at least once a year, practice pulling the headrest off the passenger seat and then bashing your driver side window with metal prong to bust out the window.

You need to know that you can do this in case you ever drive into a lake, pond, river or ocean.
Sure it is costly but it is worth the peace of mind you can do this.
UmustBKidding
I know bashing the OP is a long honored pastime here but there is a nugget of merit here.
As some one with a long family history of heart issues a MI that could incapacitate me while driving is statistically higher then the general population. I always told my children when driving if I become incapacitated shift the car into neutral, don't turn the engine off.
An actual person I know was traveling with her husband driving when he had a medical emergency and slumped over non responsive. Because of the slumping his foot pressed the accelerator to the floor and the car, already highway speed, accelerated. The wife tried to control the direction reaching across the seat but unable to stop the acceleration basically had to pick where they were going to crash. The options were not good, places with people playing, immovable objects like tall trees and concrete barriers, she choose a small pond. The car careened between others and launched over the bank of the pond and sank quickly. She was able to escape but she and bystanders were unable to extract her husband. He passed away at the scene, and because of the circumstances the autopsy was performed and determined he ultimately succumbed by drowning.
I always wondered is she had been told by someone the correct choice in a runaway situation is transmission to neutral would the outcome of that day been different. The mental pain she carried has to be overwhelming.

So why neutral? First it will set your speed trajectory slower, Second you will still have power steering, and power brakes if you can gain access to it, Third some cars passive restraint systems are only active with the key on and you want airbags, seat belt pretensioners and the like to be active, and finally turning the key off may lock the steering wheel and removes options for you.

So not sure you need to practice, but Neutral is the right choice when car is out of control.
And keep you automatic center punch or window breaker in every door ready to break if you end up in the water.

Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

If you practice shifting into into neutral while driving,
Friend of mine did this in high school. Overshot neutral and hit reverse. Bye bye transmission.
maroon barchetta
Having a hand brake is also a bonus.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.