Your nominations for the worst chunk of highway in Texas

7,314 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Slicer97
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I nominate I-10 on the east side of San Antonio. Doesn't matter whether it's east or west bound, but the east is the worst of the two. Narrow lanes, heavy construction, multiple sets of lines in various states of wear that disappear in the rain, uneven lanes with two or three sets of asphalt winding through them, twisting, up and down……it's a mess nearly to Seguin.

I avoid it altogether heading from Corpus to the ranchito by going through Kenedy and Stockdale.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
SWCBonfire
AG
From an expansive soil standpoint, anything just east of the hill country will be tough to beat.

But 285 from Pecos to the NM border might be the most dangerous, or at least it used to be.
Anchorhold
Houston because people
EFE
AG
The McMullen Co part of 624
gigemags-99
AG
B-1 83 said:

I nominate I-10 on the east side of San Antonio. Doesn't matter whether it's east or west bound, but the east is the worst of the two. Narrow lanes, heavy construction, multiple sets of lines in various states of wear that disappear in the rain, uneven lanes with two or three sets of asphalt winding through them, twisting, up and down……it's a mess nearly to Seguin.

I avoid it altogether heading from Corpus to the ranchito by going through Kenedy and Stockdale.

We call that a "comfort lane"

UnderoosAg
AG
I-10 east of Beaumont
gigemags-99
AG
UnderoosAg said:

I-10 east of Beaumont
. It's infected by Louisiana
TecRecAg
AG
635 between I-30 and 75. Either direction. Any time of day.
woodyhayes
Underoos is right and its not close I 10 east from beaumont to the la. border is the worst and I 10 west from beaumont to winnie is 2nd worst.
saw em off
I agree. I live in Orange and at least once a week, I10 is backed up due to a wreck at the border. Construction there is the worst.
MouthBQ98
AG
Quality of road itself, or the fact that it just sucks?

I nominate the old standby I-35 Austin to San Antonio.

One long miserable drive always under construction with heavy traffic and the most horrid scenery of nothing but huge ugly billboards, chain restaurants, car, boat, and RV dealerships, strip centers, outlet malls, and warehouse stores.

It's business, but it is an ugly miserable piece of road.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Several years ago I called the highway department and asked if there was any stretch of highway in the state not under construction. They asked why and I told them "because I want to drive on the sum*****". They were not amused.

bigfoot10s
AG
1604 West between Military and Bandera in San Antonio. Locked up traffic majority of the time for no reason.

A few years ago, TXDOT looked into expanding it, and their conclusion was "we need to study it longer to decide if necessary".....
dabo man
AG
I haven't lived in TX in 9 years, but I would have said I-35 near the split/junction in Hillsboro. I made the mistake of driving from Fort Worth to Waco the Sunday after Thanksgiving in 2012.

Between 6 PM and 9:30 PM, I went about four miles. I was southbound on I-35W trying to merge into I-35E. I also had my then four year old son in the car. He was unhappy to say the least.
Ryan the Temp
AG
bigfoot10s said:

1604 West between Military and Bandera in San Antonio. Locked up traffic majority of the time for no reason.

A few years ago, TXDOT looked into expanding it, and their conclusion was "we political donors need to get a lucrative contract study it longer to decide if necessary".....
FIFY
bigfoot10s
AG
bigfoot10s said:

A few years ago, TXDOT looked into expanding it, and their conclusion was "we need to study it longer to decide if necessary".....
I will add, they have started making it 3 lanes through that area, but it is still a mess.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
SWCBonfire said:

From an expansive soil standpoint, anything just east of the hill country will be tough to beat.

But 285 from Pecos to the NM border might be the most dangerous, or at least it used to be.

Is this the highway that's 2-way with all the hills that advise others not to pass?

I hate 2-way highways. They are more dangerous than anyone driving under the influence
-Ben There/R.C.
ABATTBQ11
AG
bigfoot10s said:

Problem has always been money because the expansion is expensive. Upgrading from Bandera to 35 it's $1.3 billion and requires a lot of rework because the road is basically carved into the hills around the I-10 area. Also completely redoing the I-10/1604 clover leaf. IMO, they should have bit the bullet ten years ago when 1604 from UTSA to Bandera was under construction and shouldn't have touched everything south of Bandera to past 151 until that interchange was done. All of that expansion south made traffic north so much worse.
Krazykat
AG
I-45...anywhere.
Shoefly!
AG
Downtown Houston around the Medical center. It's like little Mexico! The Dem leaders of Harris County should be proud of that Jewel!
Burdizzo
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

bigfoot10s said:

Problem has always been money because the expansion is expensive. Upgrading from Bandera to 35 it's $1.3 billion and requires a lot of rework because the road is basically carved into the hills around the I-10 area. Also completely redoing the I-10/1604 clover leaf. IMO, they should have bit the bullet ten years ago when 1604 from UTSA to Bandera was under construction and shouldn't have touched everything south of Bandera to past 151 until that interchange was done. All of that expansion south made traffic north so much worse.

All that section of 1604 is expensive takes forever to improve because it is over the Edwards Aquifer Recharge Zone. Anything you do in that area requires extensive review and additional construction protection.
dabo man
AG
I-45 in Huntsville, June 2019. I was headed to my sister's in Clear Lake.

It was Father's Day weekend, and all of the traffic signs in North Texas read "Show Dad that he taught you well. Watch the road, put down your cell." Something along the lines of "I-45 southbound closed at MM 112" would have been so much more helpful.

The folks in the right lane were making their own exits. I was in a Honda Fit and not willing to try that (once I got in the right lane). I spent about three hours in this mess.

EDIT - This was due to road construction, not any accident. Had they mentioned the closure on a traffic sign, I'd have exited to Livingston and taken 59 to Houston. The backup started less than a mile south of that exit.

Drawkcab
Worst in what way?

If you said I-35E in Dallas, between downtown and Dallas Love Field you're right in terms of deadliest.
https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/these-roads-are-the-deadliest-in-texas/
dabo man
AG
I'm shocked that 610 by the Galleria in Houston isn't on this list.
TequilaMockingbird
Ghost of Bisbee said:

SWCBonfire said:

Is this the highway that's 2-way with all the hills that advise others not to pass?

I hate 2-way highways. They are more dangerous than anyone driving under the influence
No hills. Massive amounts of poorly skilled oilfield traffic, and massive potholes.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Any road in Victoria County.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Buford T. Justice
AG
1. Hwy 105 between Beaumont and College Station. The last stretch between Montgomery and Navasota is bad, bad, bad.
2. Hwy 21 between Bastrop and San Morcos. I hate that stretch of road.
3. The aforementioned I-35 in Dallas
4. 290 inbound past Cy-Fair HS.
bigfoot10s
AG
281 between Stephenville and I 20. That flashing yellow at Lipan has seen a lot of deaths unfortunately.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
410 going N/S on the east side of San Antonio from I-10 to 35!!!!! WTFFFFFF
TX_COWDOC
AG
State Highway 153 from Winters west towards Sweetwater.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
BBRex
AG
Big Money Aggie said:

I-45...anywhere.

The stretch between downtown Houston and Conroe is straight up Road Warrior dystopian.
RAB87
AG
UnderoosAg said:

I-10 east of Beaumont
This. Always has been. Always will be. Heck, even I-10 east of the Louisiana border is better now.
Big Cat `93
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

1. Hwy 105 between Beaumont and College Station. The last stretch between Montgomery and Navasota is bad, bad, bad.
I nominate the part between Cleveland and Conroe. Two lanes and always too much traffic to pass. When I was in school, I quit going that way and went through Livingston and Huntsville instead.
OregonAggie
AG
I'll 2nd Hwy 21 between Bastrop and San Marcos. Terrible stretch of road that needs to be 4 lanes all the way.

I'm increasingly becoming even less of a fan of 290 from Dripping to Austin.

Others:

-45 thru downtown Houston
-35 Downtown Dallas to Love Field
-281/35/10 around downtown San Antonio. To hell with that stretch.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Any highway TXDOT is currently working on. I live one block east of a section of I-45 TXDOT is currently working on and it is a world class cluster****.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.