Explain the Petroplex rto me

2,599 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Teslag
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Way out in the middle of nowhere - there are two cities. Midland is slightly larger, but not much. Midland is the nice one - Odessa the crappy one.

Why - out in the middle of nowhere - did the original settlers feel the need to start TWO towns?
Scotts Tot
AG
One nicer city for the white collar professionals at the O&G companies, and a blue collar town for the lower paid laborers. Kinda like Tyler and Longview.

ETA: no idea if this was true originally, but at least it's how they have evolved over time.
B-1 83
AG
Scotts Tot said:

One nicer city for the white collar professionals at the O&G companies, and a blue collar town for the lower paid laborers. Kinda like Tyler and Longview.

ETA: no idea if this was true originally, but at least it's how they have evolved over time.
Or Beaumont/Port Arthur……………. Wait. They're both #$&@holes.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Teslag
AG
Midland is just as trashy as Odessa.
wbt5845
AG
Both towns founded in 1881.
Jimbos Plaque
AG
college station and bryan
dallas and fort worth

pretty much every nice town needs a foil town.
BrazosBendHorn
Canyon and Amarillo
Wolfforth and Lubbock
Buda and Austin
NoahAg
Lake Jackson and Freeport
Let's go, Brandon!
Sponge
AG
One town wanted to marry their own cousins and one didn't.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Teslag said:

Lol. Found the guy from Odessa.

Nah, Midland is the nicest town you're going to find out that way.

Midland is where you raise babies. Odessa is where you raise hell.
DrEvazanPhD
Because you raise a family in Midland and raise hell in Odessa
Anchorhold
DDP
wbt5845
AG
Pilot Ag said:

dallas and fort worth
Yeah, Dallas is quite the dump
txags92
AG
Rival railroads maybe?
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Odessa may be the most depressing town I've ever driven through. And I went to Granbury once.
txags92
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Odessa may be the most depressing town I've ever driven through. And I went to Granbury once.
I used to feel that way about Monahans when I was working on an environmental site out there during the early 2000s.
Claude!
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Dude. Hearne exists.
Nagler
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Granbury

Ol_Ag_02
AG
Claude! said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Dude. Hearne exists.

I think that the fine citizens of Hearne would not appreciate being compared to your average everyday Granbury local.

I say good day, sir.
Claude!
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Claude! said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Dude. Hearne exists.

I think that the fine citizens of Hearne would not appreciate being compared to your average everyday Granbury local.

I say good day, sir.
None of them can read, so they won't be finding out, will they?
TommyGun
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Odessa is alright for about a 2 mile stretch as you come in on 191 from Midland. The areas around Odessa Country Club and UTPB have some nice homes with a few more near Ratliff Stadium (Permian HS) on the north side. Once you get west of Parkway Blvd it goes downhill pretty quick. My wife used to teach on the SW side of Odessa while we lived in Midland and there were some very sketchy parts of town around her middle school. Dos Amigos was good place to catch a live concert at though and there were some great tamale shops around town so we enjoyed venturing over for that.

As for Midland, it was genuinely a good place to live and we encountered some of the nicest people around during our time there. We don't ever see ourselves moving back, but I also wouldn't try to talk anyone out of moving there for the right opportunity. Lots of good Ags in the community and plenty of opportunities to be involved with church groups, civic organizations, and other professional networks. People are generally laid back and it's a great networking town without the whole rat race feel of Houston or D/FW.
Beer Baron
AG
They've both gone down in quality. Midland is like Odessa used to be and Odessa is basically Mogadishu.
Eliminatus
AG
Beer Baron said:

They've both gone down in quality. Midland is like Odessa used to be and Odessa is basically Mogadishu.

Oil crashes always leaves people trapped in Odessa but this last batch is the worst and most numerous I have ever seen and I have more years in Odessa than I care to admit to.

Odessa is pure depression manifested into physical reality. I truly cannot say enough bad things about it.

****, I hate that miserable ass place. I purposely went to to Iraq to fight a war to escape that ****hole and even after it was all said and done, it was still the right choice.
oldschool87
AG
wbt5845 said:

Way out in the middle of nowhere - there are two cities. Midland is slightly larger, but not much. Midland is the nice one - Odessa the crappy one.

Why - out in the middle of nowhere - did the original settlers feel the need to start TWO towns?
Kick the dirt with your foot and oil would appear. You know, Texas tea...

The did not pick it, that was just where the oil was and still is...
Teslag
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

Teslag said:

I was raised in the Florida Keys and live in North Texas. Midland Odessa Lubbock Abilene and Amarillo are all the same ****hole cities. All of Texas west of hwy 281 is trash.
Drawkcab
DrEvazanPhD said:

Because you raise a family in Midland and raise hell in Odessa

Never heard this saying before and here two people posted it at the exact same time.

Just thought it was interesting. Carry on.
TequilaMockingbird
AggieArchitect04 said:

Teslag said:

Except he's right. Midland= Odessa with more tall buildings.
Hagen95
AG
Teslag said:

AggieArchitect04 said:

Teslag said:

I was raised in the Florida Keys and live in North Texas. Midland Odessa Lubbock Abilene and Amarillo are all the same ****hole cities. All of Texas west of hwy 281 is trash.
People in west Texas say the same thing about people east of 281.
Teslag
AG
That's because they are morons
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.