Construction lawyer/bad pool builder in Houston?

1,840 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TX_COWDOC
AColunga07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's the protocol for dealing with a bad pool contractor who is just not finishing the job. We keep getting promised that progress will be made the following week and nothing happens. They have messed up every aspect of the build, caused excessive damage that they refuse to fix. I have spent a lot of time and money fixing their mistakes and at this point, just want my pool done.

It's complicated because it's being financed but at least they have only been paid the first stage (out of 3). They put in for the 2nd payment this week but I have not signed off on it. The payments are about 45%/45%/10%. Something plumbing related needs to be completed (I think it's just the inspection because it all seems to be done) and then it's just the decking and plaster.

Should I just hire my own crew to finish the job and then fight/settle with them for the remaining balance of the contract minus what it costs me to finish?

What are my options?
CPAAg
AG
I had to sue my pool builder when I was having mine built. But I am up in Dallas and used Dallas attorney. Good luck. Their insurance company paid out on the claim fyi.

Mind sharing name of builder?
Anchorhold
Fire him and do it yourself. Or talk about it with the neighbors and make it a community project that everyone can enjoy. What part of Houston?
Brad_97
AG
What does your contract say about your ability to fire them and bring in some one else to complete?
Marvin_Zindler
AG
I'm a construction lawyer in Houston. Shoot me an email at the link in my profile and we can catch up next week.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Talk to the bank. They will help.
TX_COWDOC
AG
Take it to the Aggieland Pools thread.
TX_COWDOC
AG
Get Watts to finish the job.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
RCLA covers this. Get in touch with Marvin Zindler (poster on this thread).
AColunga07
AG
Thanks, I'll reach out.
zephyr88
AG
TX_COWDOC said:

Personally, Watts built the pool at my first house, and again at my second house.

Professionally, Watts built the pool on nearly all of our multi-family projects.

Reputable company, solid work. I'd recommend without reservation.
Stat Monitor Repairman
My initial reaction would be to try and meet face to face with the contractor and try to set things straight and get the pool finished asap.

You start messing around with litigation and trying to cover the deal and get the pool finished, is gonna be expensive, its gonna be a pain int he ass, and gonna take a long time.

If its a bad contractor, its a bad contractor.

Its less about punishing the contractor for being a ****bird than it is you swimming in your pool and putting this behind you.

The biggest thing that people get sucked up into the vortex of trying punish people for bad business practices. That cost a lot of money time and frustration.

Lastly, almost everybody I know that has had a pool contractor has gotten into it with the pool contractor. Its the nature of the beast.
TX_COWDOC
AG
zephyr88 said:

TX_COWDOC said:

Personally, Watts built the pool at my first house, and again at my second house.

Professionally, Watts built the pool on nearly all of our multi-family projects.

Reputable company, solid work. I'd recommend without reservation.
Yes. Solid people. They were clients of mine back in the day. I would use them for a pool without hesitation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.