Drum Master

9,632 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Funky Winkerbean
Athanasius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want to be Larnell Lewis when I grow up.

MJ20/20
AG
meh. Way to preachy. Dude would be a great third grade teacher.
Spotted Ag
AG
Wow, that is amazing!
Covidians, Communists, CNN, FOX, and all other MSM are enemies of the state and should be treated as such.
AliasMan02
AG
Gotta say, that was really great.
62strat
AG
I came across this a while back.. I don't know, enter sandman? Is that supposed to be impressive? It's 4/4 with a half time prechorus. I was about 12 or 13 when I memorized this song air drums, then the first time I sat down behind a drum kit, could play it.

Have him do a recent Tool song and I'll be impressed.
Or Rush
Or an 80s metallica song
or literally any metal song.
Nitro Power
AG
Dude had never even heard the song, and listened to it once before playing it. Yea definitely not impressive at all.
62strat
AG
Nitro Power said:

Dude had never even heard the song, and listened to it once before playing it. Yea definitely not impressive at all.
I'm a drummer of almost 30 years. Maybe it's impressive to a non musician or non drummer, but I can hear some random cookie cutter radio song and once and likely play it. I can hear a song I haven't heard in 20 years and remember fills, accents, time changes, etc. And I'm not an accomplished and professional drummer. Just a hobbyist.

Most drummers simply have this kind of thing built in. Maybe another resident texag drummer can chime in.

And honestly, I question whether he's really never heard any part of this song. He's a musician and about 40 years old.. has he been under a rock since 1991? Outside of the music world, nearly every sporting event plays a snippet of enter sandman at some point.

Athanasius
AG
62strat- watch his other videos.
maroon barchetta
62strat said:

I came across this a while back.. I don't know, enter sandman? Is that supposed to be impressive? It's 4/4 with a half time prechorus. I was about 12 or 13 when I memorized this song air drums, then the first time I sat down behind a drum kit, could play it.

Have him do a recent Tool song and I'll be impressed.
Or Rush
Or an 80s metallica song
or literally any metal song.

This.
karmapoliceman
AG
Pshh. Super easy.

62strat
AG
Athanasius said:

62strat- watch his other videos.
i'm sure the guy is really talented and great. Im not here to argue that I'm just saying hearing enter Sandman for the first time and playing it, it's really not that out of this world. I was about 13 when I got my first drum set and I could play Enter Sandman literally first run through. Granted yes I had heard it more times than once but I was 13 playing drums for the first time. That alone speaks to the difficulty level of the song.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
I played professionally for over 10 years. 62strat was spot on saying a drummer with natural talent can pick up a song with one listen unless it has some unexpected breaks or fills.
While in the army I met a guy with a music degree that was a whiz a playing percussion charts. But play a song and ask him to play it without the chart and he struggled.
62strat
AG
I want to expand a little bit to maybe some of the non-musicians who might be reading this thread. Playing Drums is completely different than piano or guitar when it comes to hearing it and immediately playing it. It takes a lot of talent, or at least a different type of talent then just knowing how to play guitar/piano itself, to hear a song for the first time and then play it right then and there. Mostly because you have different keys and chords and all those types of things.

Drumming has none of that. If you can play the drums then you can hear a song and immediately know with 100% confidence whether the drummer is hitting a snare or a Tom or a high hat or a ride etc. This lends itself to very easily playing a song (within your difficulty level) that you've never heard. In fact I've played songs that I had never heard even once previously, with bands in a live setting . All I need is a few cues from one of the band members on maybe a time change or a stop and a start and this can be done relatively easily. Not a rush or tool type of song, we're talking basic format, verse chorus verse stuff, which enter sandman is.
RogueAg
AG
The guy is clearly talented.. .and very well trained. I've never heard of him but assume he's a pro. Particularly, for a guy at his level, I tend to agree that hearing a relatively simple song like Enter Sandman and being able to duplicate it after a listen probably isn't that difficult. I've never played drums or percussion... but there isn't anything about that song that musically is very technical... and like most metal songs (and I've been a huge Metallica fan forever)... it's repetitive and predictable.

Still impressive though... like I said... he's clearly very, very talented.
62strat
AG
RogueAg said:

and like most metal songs (and I've been a huge Metallica fan forever)... it's repetitive and predictable..

Lol. Most metal is predictable huh? Most?

Philo B 93
On top of what the drummers here have said….. learning a whole song sounds hard. For most songs, all you need is a verse and a chorus. That's 60 seconds instead of 4 minutes. Get one verse and chorus down, and you probably know the whole song.
AliasMan02
AG
This thread just needs dudes talking about how their girls are all 10s and travel the world for their modeling careers and it will be complete.
tk for tu juan
RogueAg said:

The guy is clearly talented.. .and very well trained. I've never heard of him but assume he's a pro.
Enter Sandman is a walk in the park for Larnell Lewis compared to what he usually plays. He is/was the drummer for Snarky Puppy which is a mostly instrumental jazz/rock/funk ensemble

swimmerbabe11
I know one of the dudes from snarky puppy. he asked me on a date while I was working. I told him to ask me again when he saw me outside of work. he did not ask me the next day when I saw him at the library and I was very sad about it.

he's still hot.

tk for tu juan
Now we just have to sort thru 20 to 40 people to figure out which one
Eliminatus
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I know one of the dudes from snarky puppy. he asked me on a date while I was working. I told him to ask me again when he saw me outside of work. he did not ask me the next day when I saw him at the library and I was very sad about it.

he's still hot.

Time for strong independent woman time. It's 2022 after all.

Ask him out. Duh
Eliminatus
AG
Gotta love these posts. No pleasing anyone.

*Acktually meme*

Remember watching another video a while back and a dude was talking about this. "You can gain the superpower of flying and some dude gonna be like, "Harumph, He can't even fly that high"."

It's a fun and interesting video. Even for someone who plays metal drums for nearly twenty years now. Just enjoy it. Not every damn thing needs to be critiqued. Stuff like this gets more people into drumming than anything else.
tk for tu juan
Other drummers on the HS drumline made fun of me when I bought the drum set sheet music of GnR Appetite for Destruction. "What are you too dumb to figure it out by just listening to it?"
drums
AG
62strat said:

Nitro Power said:

I'm a drummer of almost 30 years. Maybe it's impressive to a non musician or non drummer, but I can hear some random cookie cutter radio song and once and likely play it. I can hear a song I haven't heard in 20 years and remember fills, accents, time changes, etc. And I'm not an accomplished and professional drummer. Just a hobbyist.

Most drummers simply have this kind of thing built in. Maybe another resident texag drummer can chime in.

And honestly, I question whether he's really never heard any part of this song. He's a musician and about 40 years old.. has he been under a rock since 1991? Outside of the music world, nearly every sporting event plays a snippet of enter sandman at some point.

Agreed. When you go practice with any band the first time, there will be songs that someone suggests that you have never played, or don't know well. If you are any kind of drummer, you just make it happen, Like 62 said it is just "built in" to any drummer that's been playing a while. You develop the ability to feel where the other musicians are going, think it, and it just happens.
swimmerbabe11
he married now. I missed my shot.
62strat
AG
AliasMan02 said:

This thread just needs dudes talking about how their girls are all 10s and travel the world for their modeling careers and it will be complete.
woah, woah hold up.. we're drummers, not lead singers.
wbt5845
AG
I have played trumpet professionally, not drums. I would agree a good pro drummer ought to be able to pick up a simple metal drum track on one listening. They're generally pretty repetitive.

EDIT: the part I find interesting is hearing him talk it through - he's setting up all his mental cues in real time.
BQ04
AG
62 is spot on.

The vast majority of mainstream music follows the same basic pattern of verse / chorus in 8 measure stanzas.

4 beats to a measure, 8 measures to verse / chorus.

So, count to 4 seven times and the 8th time throw in a fill on beats 2,3,4.

The drummer's job is to 1) keep time 2) fill in the gaps in sound coming from vocals or other instruments 3) shape the music with dynamics & accents.

Bam! You can sit-in with just about any band if needed.

maroon barchetta
62strat said:

AliasMan02 said:

Username does not check out!
Cromagnum
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Psssht. I only let my 9's wash my car for me. My 10's are the only ones that get to ride in it.

62strat
AG
maroon barchetta said:

62strat said:

AliasMan02 said:

Username does not check out!
Well I didn't deny I was also a lead guitar player who has instamodel 10s hanging out with me all day. But let's not confuse the roles of the band members here.

The guitar actually came first, 93ish, bought one from a friend who was upgrading. The tama rockstar kit came about 8 months later I think lol.

Still have them both, plus a lot of other stuff
62strat
AG
Honestly this version of enter sandman is more impressive lol.

IIIHorn

Cymbalism
tk for tu juan
tk for tu juan
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.