Old Western Union Item

803 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Philo B 93
cubbies25
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My Dad ran across this yesterday and shared with me a Western Union telegram from his older brother from what we believe to be in December of 1944 coming home from the WWII. They were living in Indiana at the time and my Dad had 2 brothers, a brother-in-law and his future Father-In-Law all involved in the war. All returned home safely, but unfortunately, this telegram came from one of his brothers, who would die in a car accident only 6 months after he was back home. Wanted to share some memories of the greatest generation. (Cross posted under Military)
NoahAg
I have a buddy who's an expert on old Western Union items. Let me call him down to take a look at it.

(seriously though, that's cool)
Let's go, Brandon!
lotsofhp
AG
That's a really cool glimpse into the past! That letter is 78 years old. It's funny how at the time that was such a common thing I would have expected it to be thrown away. But now, 78 years later, people are fascinated by it. Glad your family kept it.
Claude!
I'll have to see if my dad has the telegram my great-grandmother received following her elder son's (my great uncle) death during a glider mission over Belgium.

We also have the diary my grandfather kept while he was stationed in the Pacific as a radio operator on the B-24 "Miss Kiwanis".

Hoosegow
I have one from Tex Schram ,Vince Lombardi and one of the Mara's to my grandfather about my dad. He was a 2nd team all-american at Rice in the early 60's. I assume it was a form telegram they sent to every player they were interested in the draft. I am sure it is worth diddly squat, but cool none the less.
Al Bula
AG
From the bottom of that telegram:
Quote:

THE COMPANY WILL APPRECIATE SUGGESTIONS FROM ITS PATRONS CONCERNING ITS SERVICE

OK Western Union, how about y'all stop letting Nigerian Princes and Barristers lie to me about my inheritance?!
Philo B 93
$50 in 1944 would be about $800 today.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.