Forgotten Employee

5,873 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Buzzy
Bocephus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Reminds me of that engineer in the news a few years back. He worked at two engineering firms. Farmed all his work out to engineers in India or South Korea or somewhere for maybe 1/5 of the cost. Pocketed salaries from two companies for awhile until he somehow got busted.

There was an extensive article about multiple people doing this during Covid when they were working from home. They didn't farm the work out. They just played the game, avoided meetings by claiming to by busy, and never volunteered for projects. Most seemed to work for tech companies and were collecting two paychecks and killing it.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
azul_rain
Applying for a new job, fuggit
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
1970, Vietnam war was slowing down. I was at a base in a midsized town in the Midwest.

We were overstaffed. The Air Force had a program that allowed those with six months or less remaining on an enlistment to go to a private trade school. They paid tuition and you still got full pay and benefits. I also shared a house with some other single air force guys off base. I was a S/Sgt nearing the end of 8 years active duty.

Me and a buddy enrolled in a 6-week electronic school. When we finished school, they didn't tell us to report back, so we didn't. We lived as civilians.

Then one day my buddy, who had grown long hair and beard was at a McDonalds across from the base. The 1st Sgt got in line behind him and then recognized who he was. He whispered in his ear, report to my office at 0730 tomorrow in a class A uniform. (Dress blues, necktie etc.). Larry shaved, got a haircut and reported in. He was told to report in every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 0730. He cleaned the latrine in the headquarters building. The 1st Sgt apparently forgot about me and never checked on me.

In my final week, I was wrapping up all of my paperwork by telephone but there was a problem with finance. I was told to come in to meet with the pay clerk. Since I outranked him, I did shave but my hair was a little long but was not worried about him.

I am waiting in the foyer and another Sgt approaches me and said Major (don't remember his name) will see me now. I walked in and sat down. He says Sgt, when was the last time you had a haircut? I realized the jig was up and told him two months. He asked me who my squadron commander was and I told him. He said complete what you are here far but don't ever let me catch me needing a haircut again. He also said he was going to call my commander.

I got my pay problems cleared up but was told to come in the next morning to collect my last paycheck before leaving base for the civilian world.

The next morning, I wondered how I was going to get my paycheck and dodge the Major. At noon, I called his office and asked in Major whatever his name was, was in. They said no, he just left for lunch.
I ran over to finance, grabbed my check, headed for the main gate, where I turned in my ID card, and officially became a civilian, with long hair.

I was the forgotten Staff Sargeant.

Bocephus
AG
UTExan said:

I had a family member who once worked at the HQs of an unnamed federal agency in DC. One of the coworkers was a man who suffered a mental breakdown in the field so they gave him a cubicle and desk. Most days he would come in and stare at the cubicle wall. Some days he would make animal sounds like a dog or cat while staring. I guess keeping him on was cheaper than committing him to a mental institution.
Edit to say that he appeared to have zero job responsibilities other than just showing up.

Was before I joined the police department. Chief despised this one officer and wanted to fire him, but evidently whatever rule he broke was not a big deal, and no one would agree with it. So the chief put him on special assignment at his own house. So for a few years he just stayed at home and had no job responsibilities. He earned his masters degree and evidently had the nicest yard on the block. When a new chief got hired he was put back on the streets.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
azul_rain
lmao
Bocephus
AG
A recent audit showed the the city of Dallas spent $60 million in paychecks without supervisor approval. You have to wonder how much of that went to "no-show" jobs?
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
azul_rain
Mafia is big in Dallas, jack ruby….
Stat Monitor Repairman

Quote:

Me and a buddy enrolled in a 6-week electronic school. When we finished school, they didn't tell us to report back, so we didn't. We lived as civilians.
Thats probably one of the best short stories I've ever read on Texags.

That quote above really got me.
B-1 83
AG
Buzzy said:

Congrats on misunderstanding the OP
Congrats on not understanding the term "not exactly"
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
wbt5845
AG
What a great story. Thanks.
lunchbox
At my last job, they moved my IT support team downstairs into our own little suite. All of the users we supported remained upstairs.

Our "drop in" rate fell to near 0% which was nice. Everything was handled over email and phone. When things were running smoothly, there would be days/weeks where we would just take care of our normal routine maintenance stuff and watch movies.
Bocephus
AG
hedge said:

Mafia is big in Dallas, jack ruby….

Incompetence is bigger
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Buzzy

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.