How do you separate your work and personal life?

10,162 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SockDePot
BenFiasco14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In other words, what do you do to keep the stress from your job from influencing and harming your personal life?

Serious and GB answers welcome.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
ac04
stop caring about work, it doesn't actually matter
NoahAg
I don't know. Just comes naturally. Once I get home I really don't dwell on work much. It would be tougher if it was MY company.
Let's go, Brandon!
Geralt of Rivia
S
I work when I'm at work. I don't think about work at all when I'm not at work
PoohAh97
AG
Yeah, don't take work all that seriously. If work wants you to take it that seriously, go elsewhere.

Yes, easier said than done, I know all too well. But at root it's a choice, and at some point you'll probably end up having to make it.

I typed a lot more but it's a lot of guessing and projection. So it's just the choice thing.
TecRecAg
AG
I used to be really bad about working all hours of the day. Available 24/7 by cell or e-mail.

After 10 years and a number of promotions at the same company I joined after college, I'm more disconnected than ever when not at work.

The money now vs. 10 years ago is a big catalyst for that.
Duncan Idaho
Single biggest thing I did was get a personal cell phone that no one from works knows and isn't connected to my company email.

My company issued phone never leaves my home office unless I am traveling for work.

When I walk out of my home office I am done for the day/weekend
PoohAh97
AG
One of my coworkers has a Google Phone number he hands out as his "personal" number, so he can just ignore it if necessary.
Leeman
Alcohol.
Duncan Idaho
The problem is all of the other means of reaching you that are on a corporate/byod device . Email/slack/jabber/etc
HossAg
AG
I've had 2 jobs since college. One was a ****ty job where I was expected to be available all the time and it stressed me out. My new job doesn't require any of that BS, and now I don't think about work at all when I get home. So I imagine it's pretty heavily dependent on how ****ty your job is.
PoohAh97
AG
Yeah, there's that. Some of that's just big boy work--fact of life. And well paid for it. Previous employers crossed way over from "earning that nice check" to "you exist for us."
Coog97
Gummies
AliasMan02
AG
My work stress, at times, dominates my personal life in the sense that I carry the stress with me. I've snapped at the kids more than once because I just didn't have any patience left in the tank. I try, though.

The fact is I have a (relatively) important job with stakes. Lots of money to be made or lost and my work can certainly move the needle on that. But I TRY to remember that as important as I think I am to this operation, if I quit tomorrow, next month at least some people would have trouble remembering my name.
duffelpud
AG
I got old enough and saved enough money that I can walk away from whatever job I don't like on my terms including my own business.
"What's this button do?"
Buford T. Justice
AG
I carried around a lot of work stress for a solid decade and for a period of about 5-7 years during that time, thought and worried about work waaaaaaay too much.
It was largely due to micromanagement and unrealistic expectations.

Life is too short for that shiitake.
dcAg
I used to be a work-a-holic when I was in consulting. Now...as needed after hours.
FIDO*98*
AG
Combination of experience and financial security. It would be difficult for my employer to replace me with anyone better and I have recruiters reaching out to me weekly so would no be hard to land somewhere. I have a 6 month back end built into my contract so if my boss fired me tomorrow, I'd take a few weeks off and fish before I even started looking in earnest. Makes it a little easier to say zero effs given

Most of my stress is because I hold myself to high standards rather than my employer pressuring me though. Just how I'm wired
azul_rain
My job is 8/5. But honestly I don't work that many hours a day. Also helps when your job is in a field where you would enjoy learning about it even if not in the industry. I never get bothered outside work unless emergency which has never happened. Idk my work culture is the tits
Lex
That's easy, I don't work so it's allllll personal life.
Anchorhold
How do y'all separate BAS from non-game days?
HillCountry15
I'm a sales rep in the building materials industry, and let's just say the last two years haven't been a walk in the park. Unprecedented price increases on a weekly basis, supply chain issues, and construction at a continued all time high.

One of my favorite stress relievers is to sit on the lawn mower and mow the grass for a few hours or some kind of yard work. Throw some headphones on and listen to a podcast or music and literally not think about anything. But it's still hard for me to flip the switch between work and personal life.
TexasAggie81
I don't keep work apps of any kind on my phone. When I get home, my life becomes personal only unless I choose to do some work on my work laptop only at home. Being free from work for awhile is a healthy thing.
Claude!
AliasMan02 said:

My work stress, at times, dominates my personal life in the sense that I carry the stress with me. I've snapped at the kids more than once because I just didn't have any patience left in the tank. I try, though.

The fact is I have a (relatively) important job with stakes. Lots of money to be made or lost and my work can certainly move the needle on that. But I TRY to remember that as important as I think I am to this operation, if I quit tomorrow, next month at least some people would have trouble remembering my name.
I'll remember that your name was Robert Paulson.
80s Guy
TexasAggie81 said:

I don't keep work apps of any kind on my phone. When I get home, my life becomes personal only unless I choose to do some work on my work laptop only at home. Being free from work for awhile is a healthy thing.

Same but I took a job last summer that I don't have to do anything after 5 or on weekends.
atag
AG
If/when my bosses text me unnecessarily when im with my family i always respond with "im with my family" and they get the point and leave me alone. RARELY is a situation one in which can either wait till the next day or be handled by someone there.

My employees otoh are welcome to call me because i enjoy helping and coaching.

Also, always remember if you die, your job will replace you and do it quickly....whereas your family may take years to recover. A pretty sobering reminder of who you are more important to and who is more deserving of your time.
proudest member of the fightin texas aggie class of 2005.
Duncan Idaho
atag said:

If/when my bosses text me unnecessarily when im with my family i always respond with "im with my family" and they get the point and leave me alone. RARELY is a situation one in which can either wait till the next day or be handled by someone there.

My employees otoh are welcome to call me because i enjoy helping and coaching.

Also, always remember if you die, your job will replace you and do it quickly....whereas your family may take years to recover. A pretty sobering reminder of who you are more important to and who is more deserving of your time.
that is a bold assumption for a lot of posters here
Azeew
They're the same. Not seperate.
GunRangeGal
AG
I play with dogs all day. I have dogs at home. Not seeing the problem here.
William Larue Weller
AG
Whiskey
713nervy
AG
lol
HarveyBirdman
AG
By email
ToddyHill
AG
I've never been able to separate my work from my personal life due to the fact I have direct reports at the plants 24/7. I'm retiring in about 6 months so management has promoted someone from within so I'm beginning the weaning process. It's a weird, but great feeling. It reminds me of the grind during the semester leading up to finals. Once finals were over I was finished...and yet I still felt like I needed to be doing something. That's where I am right now and its taking some adjustment.
04.arch.ag
AG
My work life balance is a homogeneous mess. I am basically available at any time barring sleeping. I will regularly wake up at 4:00 am and email myself notes and thoughts about particular projects. I will almost always return phone calls and emails while on vacations.

The other side to that is I have no limit on my personal time off and I also regularly leave work for hours at a time to run errands or participate in my daughters school and extracurricular activities.

I basically answer to no one and everyone depending on how I feel that day.
azul_rain
Lol I have my boss on do not disturb along with two other coworkers. I don't get paid for doing work after 5. You want my time pay me
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.