Asian culture drives me crazy

9,359 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aznaggiegirl07
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In Asian cultures, if someone in a position of authority gives direction which is dumb/stupid/idiotic, they smile, say "yes sir" and then pretend the direction was never given.

Then at some future point, they call in American teammates to try and "give guidance" since their whole development process has turned into one giant Charlie Foxtrot.

When I tell them they have to clear up all direction and specifications to make engineering sense, even if that contradicts their management's or customer's direction, they smile and say "yes sir" and I know they're going off to do whatever they want to do.

Whatever - I still get paid.
HossAg
AG
This doesn't feel like an extreme generalization at all.
TecRecAg
AG
Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
wbt5845
AG
HossAg said:

I've run into this mind set - the refusal to speak up - in 100% of our Asian customers.
E
AG
Dear diary....
Martin Q. Blank
HossAg said:

Pick up any book to teach you about that culture and you'll read the same thing. They can't say 'no' so they just keep making excuses until you go away. It's a face saving behavior.
maroon barchetta
I'm going to need to hear Reggie White's opinion on Asians before I can decide whether I agree with the OP.
azul_rain
Hoss
AgsMyDude
AG
Maybe show them band videos? That might help
Ol_Ag_02
AG
At least they don't do the Indian head wobble.
MJ20/20
AG
This short essay reflects very poorly on you. How the **** have you not physically put this guy in his place. He has zero respect / fear of you. You need to rewatch Platoon and throw this guy around. The next time you won't even have to tell his ass, he'll be skipping to stay ahead of that heavy reft hand of yours.
JPAg88
AG
MJ20/20 said:

This short essay reflects very poorly on you. How the **** have you not physically put this guy in his place. He has zero respect / fear of you. You need to rewatch Platoon and throw this guy around. The next time you won't even have to tell his ass, he'll be skipping to stay ahead of that heavy reft hand of yours.
Claude!
Something something Asians driving.
superunknown
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I'm going to need to hear Reggie White's opinion on Asians before I can decide whether I agree with the OP.

Excellent callback, I'd forgotten how much amazing insight Reggie had into the Asians.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Martin Q. Blank said:

HossAg said:

Pick up any book to teach you about that culture and you'll read the same thing. They can't say 'no' so they just keep making excuses until you go away. It's a face saving behavior.
On the other hand, Russians and eastern europeans will say no before you finish your sentence.

Also face saving behavior.
swimmerbabe11
You clearly aren't asking enough questions /phrasing them in a way where they can give you constructive feedback.
randy828
AG
superunknown said:

maroon barchetta said:

Excellent callback, I'd forgotten how much amazing insight Reggie had into the Asians.
Or Shaq

Quote:

According to the Los Angeles Times, O'Neal did not believe he was being racist when he said, "Tell Yao Ming, 'Ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh,'
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
maroon barchetta
randy828 said:

superunknown said:

maroon barchetta said:

Or Shaq

Quote:

According to the Los Angeles Times, O'Neal did not believe he was being racist when he said, "Tell Yao Ming, 'Ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh,'

Yeah, and if someone used a similar type of retort to Shaq referencing the language of his ancestors, there would have been protests and riots and cancelling.
Philo B 93
I love "Heat of the Moment". Great song. I guess Asian Culture sounds better than Asiaheads.
maroon barchetta
Philo B 93 said:

I love "Heat of the Moment". Great song. I guess Asian Culture sounds better than Asiaheads.

Cutting It Fine is the best song on the album
UTExan
U talking South Asian or East Asian???
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
wbt5845
AG
East.
BenFiasco14
AG
wbt5845 said:

In Asian cultures, if someone in a position of authority gives direction which is dumb/stupid/idiotic, they smile, say "yes sir" and then pretend the direction was never given.

Then at some future point, they call in American teammates to try and "give guidance" since their whole development process has turned into one giant Charlie Foxtrot.

When I tell them they have to clear up all direction and specifications to make engineering sense, even if that contradicts their management's or customer's direction, they smile and say "yes sir" and I know they're going off to do whatever they want to do.

Whatever - I still get paid.

I would hope that, at the very least, most Asian cultures would laugh someone out of the room that watches adult marching band competitions.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
wbt5845
AG
Guess you've never seen this.

Txmoe
AG
wbt5845 said:

Guess you've never seen this.

IIIHorn
Claude! said:

What if they're disoriented?
Claude!
IIIHorn said:

Claude! said:

I regret that I have only one blue star to give you.
IIIHorn
Claude! said:

IIIHorn said:

Claude! said:

I regret that I have only one blue star to give you.

You, Sir, have a low threshold for entertainment.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Ah, yes. "Asia," with its monolithic culture.
WestTexasAg04
AG
Had to YouTube that.

gggmann
AG
During my first trip to Asia I was disappointed to learn that my dad had been lying to me my whole life, and it in fact did not go sideways.
infinity ag
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

HossAg said:

On the other hand, Russians and eastern europeans will say no before you finish your sentence.

Also face saving behavior.

This is true. I work a Russian Engineering manager and he is such an @$#%@$%.
He refuses to do any work and claims he is very busy and then complains to senior management that he has "no requirements" from Product Management so he is delayed because of us (me). So I get into trouble and I have to run around explaining things to people wasting my time.

Thankfully I just accepted another offer today so I will be out soon.
UTExan
wbt5845 said:

East.

I understand. The North Korean Assault Musical Ensemble, for instance:

It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
infinity ag
WestTexasAg04 said:

Had to YouTube that.

I don't know why such a big deal is made out of it. Different cultures have different expressions. People need to learn to respect it.

The head movement does not mean yes or no, it means "I hear you and I understand".

I absolutely hate it when people (especially white western folk) go to other countries and piss all over them. Ugly American stereotype.
GAC06
AG
Was your head wobbling while you typed that?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.