Corporate Annual Goals

4,694 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by The Dog Lord
Buzzy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GentrysMillTX10 said:

At my last job - all of us that reported to the VP had to set annual goals. They had to be SMART goals….Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relative, and Timely.

One guy wrote his 5 goals and then the next day celebrated that he had met his goals for the year. The VP congratulated him and said the rest of us should learn to follow suit - and the VP was dead serious.

I later asked the VP why that was acceptable and even promoted. The VP said that everyone sees goals differently and for that guy to actually achieve his goals has been a lifelong struggle - so he was proud of the employee for setting and achieving his goals.

So I asked if I can set goals for the next day and be done for the year. The VP said no since I had already written my goals for the year the day before and he wouldn't let me change them.

Later that same year, the next day goal setter purchased 150 acres from the VP in east Texas. The VP then bought a beach house and let the employee go to the beach house whenever he wanted….
VP and next day goalsetter were/are lovers.
Wild West Pimp Style
The Dog Lord
AG
Really funny reading this thread since we just completed the yearly eval cycle and are about to set goals for this year. Our organization hits a lot of the points mentioned.

-set goals but never discuss them until the year ends
-say we should have a mid year check-in but 75% don't and the rest just get a "you're doing a good job"
-set easily attainable goals that may even just be a basic job function. Don't try to set an ambitious goal that may solve problems since you'll be held to it even if the organization redirects your efforts or gives you other priorities
-must do a self-evaluation that takes forever, is based on questionable criteria, and holds no weight in how your supervisor actually reviews you (although if you provide enough information it can make it harder for them to go rogue)
agracer
AG
GentrysMillTX10 said:

At my last job - all of us that reported to the VP had to set annual goals. They had to be SMART goals….Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relative, and Timely.

One guy wrote his 5 goals and then the next day celebrated that he had met his goals for the year. The VP congratulated him and said the rest of us should learn to follow suit - and the VP was dead serious.

I later asked the VP why that was acceptable and even promoted. The VP said that everyone sees goals differently and for that guy to actually achieve his goals has been a lifelong struggle - so he was proud of the employee for setting and achieving his goals.

So I asked if I can set goals for the next day and be done for the year. The VP said no since I had already written my goals for the year the day before and he wouldn't let me change them.

Later that same year, the next day goal setter purchased 150 acres from the VP in east Texas. The VP then bought a beach house and let the employee go to the beach house whenever he wanted….
That SMART goal crap has been around forever. I worked at a company that implemented a "people first" program that include the SMART goals. At one of the kick off type meetings someone wore a "People First" shirt to the meeting the the presenter asked him where he got the shirt. He replied "From when I worked at AT&T...we did this same thing 10-years ago and gave it up after about 3-years...but I did get the t-shirt".

That same company, a manager would do his subs evals, then they would be re-aligned in a big meeting with all the managers. They started the meeting with the premise that everything person's score had to fit into a bell curve. The theory was there would be a few top performers, a few bad ones, and everyone else goes into the middle. So they'd go thru every persons' rating in the department (so your managers rating of you would be shown to every other manager in the dept.) and then everyone would upgrade or downgrade that rating to fit it into the bell curve. This of course was ridiculous because some managers were 'easy graders' and others were very demanding/difficult. So a 5-star guy for manager X would be a 3-star guy for manager Y. Then of course some managers might hold a grudge against another manger or employee and they'd of course down grade that employee. My old manager told me there would literally be shouting matches over who should be ranked where.

I guess they figured this was a way to get rid of the 'bad' employees....the employees they valued so much they hired this outside consulting firm to implement the 'People First' program so we'd all think management gave a **** about the little people. Of course the company only hired the best employees..which of course flies in the face of grading everyone on a bell curve.

I left a few years after it started and I believe they abandoned the whole process shortly after.

One other thing my boss told me at the time was when he'd get feedback from other employees I worked with, he'd only consider the ones where the other employee was willing to allow me to see what they said. He felt if that person did not have the courage to stand behind their evaluation of me, it wasn't worth the paper it was written on and he'd throw those ones in the trash. He was one of the smartest people I'd ever known and was a pretty good boss. Reminded me of that good teacher you had in school who was always willing to explain things or help you make sense of work tasks to help you be successful. Great mentor.

TexAg2001
AG
I feel like the annual performance review and goal setting is a good tool for people just entering the workforce. The process, if done correctly, can provide valuable insight on the good/bad and help develop them for long term career success.

After, let's say 10 years of experience, the process is just a horrible waste of time for everyone involved and seems like an activity being pushed by HR just so they can have a file on each employee so they can fire someone for "lack of performance".

I've worked for 3 companies in 22 years and the results of the performance reviews I've had to do (as both employee and management) have had absolutely absolutely no impact on bonuses, raises, promotions, etc.

I write this as I just finished my self performance evaluation.....
62strat
AG
Ghost of Bizbee said:

normaleagle05 said:

Y'all need to stop working for gigantic corporations yesterday. There's a million mom and pop places that are fun to go to just about every day of the year and pay just as well.

Examples?
I work for a small private general contractor (denver area)
No family ties, just two guys who 55 years ago started a company. Now owned by a few current employees.

Paid well, 15% profit sharing (in lieu of a 401k), I get a nice bonus (25-35% of annual salary). No 'goals' or reviews to deal with. It just shows up direct deposit in Dec.
No HR (our PMs interview and hire when we need somebody in the field)

20ish office people, 25ish field people. My boss is an owner and we cross paths maybe 1 or 2 days a week.. very hands off, I come and go as I please.

This is not uncommon. As said, there are millions of small businesses just like this.

I did the corporate thing once before this job (50k employee worldwide company).. safe to say, never again. I definitely prefer small independent companies.
The Dog Lord
AG
agracer said:

GentrysMillTX10 said:

That SMART goal crap has been around forever. I worked at a company that implemented a "people first" program that include the SMART goals. At one of the kick off type meetings someone wore a "People First" shirt to the meeting the the presenter asked him where he got the shirt. He replied "From when I worked at AT&T...we did this same thing 10-years ago and gave it up after about 3-years...but I did get the t-shirt".

That same company, a manager would do his subs evals, then they would be re-aligned in a big meeting with all the managers. They started the meeting with the premise that everything person's score had to fit into a bell curve. The theory was there would be a few top performers, a few bad ones, and everyone else goes into the middle. So they'd go thru every persons' rating in the department (so your managers rating of you would be shown to every other manager in the dept.) and then everyone would upgrade or downgrade that rating to fit it into the bell curve. This of course was ridiculous because some managers were 'easy graders' and others were very demanding/difficult. So a 5-star guy for manager X would be a 3-star guy for manager Y. Then of course some managers might hold a grudge against another manger or employee and they'd of course down grade that employee. My old manager told me there would literally be shouting matches over who should be ranked where.

I guess they figured this was a way to get rid of the 'bad' employees....the employees they valued so much they hired this outside consulting firm to implement the 'People First' program so we'd all think management gave a **** about the little people. Of course the company only hired the best employees..which of course flies in the face of grading everyone on a bell curve.

I left a few years after it started and I believe they abandoned the whole process shortly after.

One other thing my boss told me at the time was when he'd get feedback from other employees I worked with, he'd only consider the ones where the other employee was willing to allow me to see what they said. He felt if that person did not have the courage to stand behind their evaluation of me, it wasn't worth the paper it was written on and he'd throw those ones in the trash. He was one of the smartest people I'd ever known and was a pretty good boss. Reminded me of that good teacher you had in school who was always willing to explain things or help you make sense of work tasks to help you be successful. Great mentor.

We just did this for the first time. Shockingly, it did not go over well. You can tell it's a "people first" initiative by how little communication there was to people….

HR is having to do a lot of explaining after the fact and some people are leaving because of the b.s.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.