"Cultural Appropriation" - Who objects to this and why?

4,503 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ag_of_08
george1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LupinusTexensis said:

I wore a beautiful blue mirrored sari for a wedding about 10 years ago for my friend in India. I'm sure if those photos ever surface my bid for a political career would be torpedoed.

I think i saw this movie. Was the bride screwing her boyfriend (he was a caste or two below her but she loved him anyway because he had a large eggplant) the night before her arranged marriage? Did you have sex with the groom's married brother after a night of intense drinking and then feeling immense guilt after you spent time with his wife at the wedding as she told how much she loved her husband but he travelled a lot (and likely screwing more women than the american ***** he just met)?
Unemployed
AG
george1992 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

I wore a beautiful blue mirrored sari for a wedding about 10 years ago for my friend in India. I'm sure if those photos ever surface my bid for a political career would be torpedoed.

I think i saw this movie. Was the bride screwing her boyfriend (he was a caste or two below her but she loved him anyway because he had a large eggplant) the night before her arranged marriage? Did you have sex with the groom's married brother after a night of intense drinking and then feeling immense guilt after you spent time with his wife at the wedding as she told how much she loved her husband but he travelled a lot (and likely screwing more women than the american ***** he just met)?
The movie called Slumdog ****?
bigblackag12
AG
I was born here but my entire family is Jamaican and i have been to visit family almost every year of my life and i can tell you at least any Jamaican generation i have had experience with feels the same way as the people you know OP.

From my experience and what i know of Jamaica and its people is that they view themselves as a bit of an underdog with a wealth of wonders to show the world. Its a fiery vibrant warm and kind culture of people. Hard working country folks. Resilient and uniquely ingenious. Living in gully side zinc shacks and opening diesel rig mechanic shops or shrimp boil stalls to make ends meet and fill a need. You can feel the spirit of the taino arowak and redware natives. You can feel the spirit of the maroons who still have an autonomous settlement and government in the heavily wooded areas in the center of the island. A place with unique history and it's own version of Atlantis mythology that actually happened (Port Royal). Im not sure if this is true but it is said that the more rebellious people were dropped off in Jamaica first during the slave trade.

All of these things contribute to a unique culture. One that is intensely strong and proud and inviting to the world. I could go on about examples of my family members interactions with people outside of Jamaican culture but it colors every aspect of life when abroad whether living or visiting.

Im sure there is a growing group of the Jamaican gen z that is "waking up" but based on my loose connection to them through Jamaican entertainment podcasters that is still a very small group. Those people and devout rastas probably hate white surfers with dreads and the movie cool runnings. But my cousins and my uncle and my mom really like the mighty quinn with Denzel even though his accent wasnt that great. The fact that we got a shout out from the big media machine was a moment of celebration. You all saw how proud and loud the entire island was in supporting Usain Bolt, or at least i did first hand.

Honestly it is pretty incredible when you think about how much influence such a small island with less than 3 million population has on the world in culture and media. There are Sound system and dancehall queen competitions in almost every major city in the world and you can hear reggae basslines and vocal samples in every genre of music in most countries in the world.

All that context to say, a perfect example of the OP post is when people were mad at skinny adele for the braids and the Jamaican flag bra. "Thats not your culture!" But it is though. Because Adele grew up around a British town with a strong influence from Jamaican immigrants. She ate the food listened to the music had friends and went to the Nottingham carnival celebration. I think thats the one im not sure. So she was expressing her culture. Jamaicans all over the world were just thrilled that Adele was showing love to the Land of wood and water. The Jamaicans in England knew she was representing with respect to the diaspora and defended her from the white people in America that either have no idea that people in some parts of the world can coexist and share in celebration of cultures or hate that it happens. And yes I am aware that the main goal by those that have logical sense is that they want representation amd credit and authenticity, which is great. Just don't be so quick to assume, get offended, and fly to defense of people that may not be asking or needing the defense. Then it starts to look like you just want the world to know youre one of the good ones.

I mean the entire slang vocabulary of English in England at least in the south is based on Jamaican English and patois. Similar to Toronto which also has a huge presence of Caribbean people.

TLR just know that Jamaicans wont cancel you if you like reggae or wear a rasta beanie for Halloween
george1992
RealTalk said:

george1992 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

The movie called Slumdog ****?

Lupus does Mumbai.
george1992
Sup my brother.
Petrino1
Im Puerto Rican and Mexican and I dont get offended at all if white people "culturally appropriate" my culture. I think its great if they show interest in the culture.

Its like the whole Kendall Jenner-tequila thing. White people were so mad that she created this commercial in mexico where she was wearing traditional mexican farmer clothes. WHO CARES. She created jobs in Mexico by starting that tequila company and is promoting the Mexican culture. I think its a great thing.
infinity ag
From my experience, most people do not have any problem with it, and many actually love when someone else "appropriates" their culture respectfully.

So why objects and why do they do it? In general, men don't seem to care about this, other than some simps/"I am a feminist" super-liberal types. From what I see, the majority are the do-gooder world-citizen type white women who think it's their duty to defend everyone in the world from oppression and subjugation. There are some black women also who do this but for a different reason. These two types of people want to be seen as activists who are making the world a better place and this is one of their ways to do it.
Ol Jock 99
AG
The answer is youngish American &/or Western women (all races) who frequently have lived a completely privileged life and currently reside in a liberal bubble, often, but not exclusively, in an educational environment.
aglaohfour
AG
My theory on this is that people aren't tangibly contributing to society in the same way that humans have historically.
Most of us aren't making things with our hands, growing food, caring for animals, or even cooking for our families. Perhaps it's subconscious, but a lot of people are searching for some way to "matter" to humanity and that often results at grasping at causes that aren't really that important and trying desperately to make them important so the person feels like they've made an impact of some kind.
Unemployed
AG
Pro-segregationists.
bigblackag12
AG
RealTalk said:

Pro-segregationists.

It is so weird. These progressive people that think its so progressive to tell browns blacks and latinos exactly who they are and what they can do and how they can use culture and fasion and art. Those people that claim they are progressive are more likely to view other people and cultures as monolithic. The intentions were good at the start but it has spiraled out of control. Now it is used to opress and otherise and separate people specifically in social media and as a result through their social sphere of constructs.

Critical thinking is gone. Having a conversation with someone outside of your group is a lost art. The goal of humanity in my experience is to share culture with each other and learn about each other. All this hateful vitriolic rhetoric, on whose behalf are you getting offended for? If there is a person from a marginalized group being made fun of for their skin or their accent absolutely step in do something say something. But a lot of the cultural appropriation stuff comes off the same way as the white guilt stuff "yeah brother i see you and your struggle *poor attempt at giving some dap*". Assuming i can only give dap and not business professional hand shake hurts more than helps on the inclusion vibes.
bigblackag12
AG
george1992 said:

Sup my brother.

Who dis
Tex117
AG
Two things:

(1) There is a difference between mocking and legitimately being interested and enjoying another culture. That "nuance" is completely lost by far left idiots. There is also an element of exploitation, but again, it doesn't take much to know that someone is appropriating culture to pass it off as their own idea...or simply being so into it that it is showcasing the culture.

(2) Now that we are seeing the end game in CRT (which, in the end is absolutely re-purposed racisim....just have to feel guilty about it), the folks yelling about "cultural appropriation" want white people to do white things, black people to do black things, brown people to do brown things etc. etc....Again....what part of this would the KKK have a problem with?

By keeping people separate means we are going backwards in our understanding of humans different than we are.

Its so misguided and against the general principles of western thought, it's just staggering.

george1992
bigblackag12 said:

george1992 said:

Sup my brother.

Who dis

Big offwhite ag.
bigblackag12
AG
Tex117 said:

Two things:

(1) There is a difference between mocking and legitimately being interested and enjoying another culture. That "nuance" is completely lost by far left idiots. There is also an element of exploitation, but again, it doesn't take much to know that someone is appropriating culture to pass it off as their own idea...or simply being so into it that it is showcasing the culture.

(2) Now that we are seeing the end game in CRT (which, in the end is absolutely re-purposed racisim....just have to feel guilty about it), the folks yelling about "cultural appropriation" want white people to do white things, black people to do black things, brown people to do brown things etc. etc....Again....what part of this would the KKK have a problem with?

By keeping people separate means we are going backwards in our understanding of humans different than we are.

Its so misguided and against the general principles of western thought, it's just staggering.

To your second point, the younger generations dont see that forest from the trees, and if they do they dont care. They have been trained and indoctrinated well. As long as the ones that feel oppressed and forgotten by society get their revenge and that revenge is exacted on anyone that this new school of thought has deemed an evil oppressor. They dont realize or care that along this path of progression they are leaving a lot of allies or would-be allies behind with hate and virtriol. Once they have actual majority in institutional power i think the natural course of reaction is going to further enrage radicalize and militarize the far right, something that extreme leftists arent as keen on. It just makes me sad because the internet got turned on its head and has been used to control and manipulate us into this mess. The woke ones havent woken up yet if they think domination on twitter is freedom
Ogre09
AG
I get mad when people appropriate my culture poorly.

Like when Yankees try to make bbq. Or chili.
Jimbos Plaque
AG
I come from a long and proud history of Irishmen who fought against the english occupiers. St Paddy's day and all it's festivities are just another excuse to party, as if I needed one.

The only one I do have a problem with is Notre Dame, mainly because they ****ing suck and have too many bandwagon fans.
aTmAg
AG
Liberals ruin everything they touch.
Ag_of_08
AG
There was a great video I found a while back of an American woman that lives in Tokyo responding back to some really nasty criticism she had gotten online for dressing in traditional kimono for a day, and walking around.

The only vaguely negative comment she got from the Japanese, who are as uptight and guarded about their culture as anyone can be( look at the....well blatantly racist scandal going on with the retirement of hakuho), that she interacted with that day, was an older lady who fussed at her about something with her obi being not quite right, and then offered to step aside and fix it for her before sending her on her way happy the young woman was doing it correctly( when it comes to traditional Japanese arts/clothing/etc there is usually a right and a wrong way as far as they are concerned.... tend to be very little room for "interpretation") and was wearing the kimono period.

I have very rarely met a person that gets MAD about the wearing of cultural materials unless they're extremely religious( I get that), or there's some deeper power play going on, as long as it's not being done disrespectfuly
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.