"Cultural Appropriation" - Who objects to this and why?

4,553 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ag_of_08
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
These days "cultural appropriation" is a phrase thrown around a lot. There's a lot of outrage when some people wear clothing or anything associated with another culture not their own.

I asked a few people if it is bothers then and if they felt insulted. I talked to some Indian people I work with. India which is in Asia. They told me they were thrilled when people of other cultures tried their clothing, food, listened to their music. No one was insulted or offended. I asked the same of some Asian folk, Japanese and Chinese. Similar answer. They wanted more people to try out their culture. Everyone expected others to be respectful. Some people from Africa, no problem either.

Then who is offended? I only see white women angry for someone else! So if a white woman wears an Indian saree, then Indians are good with it, but some other white women are outraged and shout "cultural appropriation!". Some younger black females get angry when a white person wears some African jewelry or clothes they consider to be their heritage. Some native Americans probably, but I don't know of any.

To me, it seems like it's the perpetually outraged woke white female Karens who are the root cause of this even being discussed these days.
The Dirty Sock
In grad school one of the Indian folks was wearing one of those long shirts and I made a comment about how interesting it was. Dude was like, "I'll bring you one tomorrow."
Builder93
AG
I have had the same experience with friends and acquaintances from other countries. They love it when we take interest in their culture. Of course, I wouldn't want to do it in a way that makes fun, but to mimic another's fashion or tradition has typically been considered a sign of appreciation for that culture. Why would you want to copy someone you despise?
FIDO*98*
AG
Everything that exists culturally was appropriated at some point in time. Stupid thing to get upset about. I can wear a dress and get applauded for bravery, but if my wife wants to wear a Kimono she's somehow a racist. The mental gymnastics of the woke left is pure mental illness
Anchorhold
Caring is for suckers
Claude!
In some ways, you can liken it to college football. Some fanbases abhor t-shirt fans, whereas others embrace anyone who follows their team for whatever reason.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
I agree that the "cultural appropriation" phenomenon has been blown way out of proportion. I think all sane people would be happy for other cultures to learn and experience their culture. However, I think some of the "outrage" I've seen has been from the portrayal in the media. I think it would be a little weird for Ben Kingsley to portray Gandhi if that movie was made today.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
infinity ag said:

These days "cultural appropriation" is a phrase thrown around a lot.
"Cultural appropriation" is simply objecting to fun. The people that scream "cultural appropriation" are the ones that never got invited to parties and generally spent/spend time being losers. Your Cinco De Mayo party that people like to come to and enjoy isn't actually offensive. The fact that some dork didn't get invited is "offensive."
superunknown
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Everything that exists culturally was appropriated at some point in time. Stupid thing to get upset about. I can wear a dress and get applauded for bravery, but if my wife wants to wear a Kimono she's somehow a racist. The mental gymnastics of the woke left is pure mental illness

post wife in kimono pics and let us decide
javajaws
AG
At some point in the last 20 years "cultural appreciation" was turned upside down into "cultural appropriation" and made evil. I blame angry liberals who are inherently unhappy with their lives.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Martin Q. Blank
Funny since white women are the largest group that practices Yoga.
infinity ag
I have some Afghan friends and I mentioned how I thought their head thing was cool. Called a Pakol. He shipped me one.

infinity ag
Iggy looks pretty hot! My Indian friends loved it.

infinity ag
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

I agree that the "cultural appropriation" phenomenon has been blown way out of proportion. I think all sane people would be happy for other cultures to learn and experience their culture. However, I think some of the "outrage" I've seen has been from the portrayal in the media. I think it would be a little weird for Ben Kingsley to portray Gandhi if that movie was made today.

Why?
Ben Kingsley is of Indian origin. Dad Indian, mom Brit.
His real name is Krishna Bhanji. I think his ancestors migrated to Africa 100 years ago. He is as Indian as can be. He is even from Gujarat, same state as Gandhi.
Bruce Almighty
AG
OP pretty much answered this on his own. Nobody on this planet gets more offended than angry liberal white women.
aglaohfour
AG
I heard an interview recently with BJ Novak (write/actor on The Office) and he was discussing the fear that comedians/networks have of getting "canceled" and he concluded that the majority of cancellations are done by white people people on behalf of other people (i.e. the "woke white woman" is upset that another white person is wearing a sombrero). And I agree with his conclusion that it's incredibly condescending to try to tell an entire group of people that they're outraged or offended if you're not part of that group.

I think most people can readily distinguish between cultural appropriation and appreciation. Where most of the non-white people I know draw the line is if someone not of their culture wears or uses something that has a specific religious/traditional/cultural/ceremonial purpose inappropriately, out of context, or with the intent of poking fun. I've personally heard this complaint from various Indigenous people because apparently a lot of the costumes used to represent their cultures aren't just clothes to them; they serve some sort of meaningful purpose. From that perspective, I get it. But again, I'd only take that to heart from someone who is actually representative of the culture in question.
Ag81Golf
Sari not sorry.
infinity ag
Can someone explain to me why some folks are outraged about Chief Illiniwek being the symbol of U of I?

I have seen some native Ams complaining on TV but I wonder if they get their cues from liberal outraged white women.

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Belgian football club KAA Gent does not care:

Geralt of Rivia
S
infinity ag said:

Can someone explain to me why some folks are outraged about Chief Illiniwek being the symbol of U of I?

I have seen some native Ams complaining on TV but I wonder if they get their cues from liberal outraged white women.

Some folks are always going to be outraged, that's why.

Illinois and Florida State both have the blessing of the local Illini/Seminole tribes to keep doing what they are doing
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
infinity ag said:

Why?
His real name is Krishna Bhanji. I think his ancestors migrated to Africa 100 years ago. He is as Indian as can be. He is even from Gujarat, same state as Gandhi.
Well, how bout that. I picked quite possibly the worst example imaginable.

infinity ag

infinity ag said:

Why?
Well, how bout that. I picked quite possibly the worst example imaginable.

I don't blame you, I didn't know that either for a looooooong time.
superunknown
AG
Because some people (you, for example) look for outrage/concern wherever they can find it. Your outrage at people being mad about mascots is equally as valid to me as other people's outrage at mascots.
LupinusTexensis
I wore a beautiful blue mirrored sari for a wedding about 10 years ago for my friend in India. I'm sure if those photos ever surface my bid for a political career would be torpedoed.
Claude!
LupinusTexensis said:

I wore a beautiful blue mirrored sari for a wedding about 10 years ago for my friend in India. I'm sure if those photos ever surface my bid for a political career would be torpedoed.
Well, either that or your rampant anti-Amish bias.
MapGuy
Bruce Almighty said:

OP pretty much answered this on his own. Nobody on this planet gets more offended than angry liberal white women.
Normally I'd agree but black women compete with white liberals when it comes to the cultural appropriation
infinity ag
superunknown said:

Because some people (you, for example) look for outrage/concern wherever they can find it. Your outrage at people being mad about mascots is equally as valid to me as other people's outrage at mascots.
?
InnerCityAg
I like to make fun of every culture.
MouthBQ98
AG
Human cultural exchange is normal. It's how we have advanced as a species and civilization. We share ideas and technologies and art We mix them up to create new things. We test them against each other to decide what works best for us. It's natural human behavior. They entire concept that cultures can be "appropriated" as a negative act is pretty idiotic. Seems like something dork hipsters came up with when they thought they had "discovered" some cool new cultural thing and didn't want everyone to be able to participate in it and ruin the snobbish exclusivity of it.

It used to be called cultural exchange and the world is chock full of exchanged cultural practices and ideas.
BostonAg74
I'm confused here. If someone from Massachusetts goes to Texas and encounters an a-hole, should he be offended for cultural appropriation, or vice versa? Or should they both be pissed off at New Yorkers?
Anchorhold
Everyone should be pissed off at New Yorkers because obvious
fc2112
The Peshwa loved this

91_Aggie
AG
BostonAg74 said:

I'm confused here. If someone from Massachusetts goes to Texas and encounters an a-hole, should he be offended for cultural appropriation, or vice versa? Or should they both be pissed off at New Yorkers?

People from Massachusetts just need to stay there
AliasMan02
AG
The Dirty Sock said:

In grad school one of the Indian folks was wearing one of those long shirts and I made a comment about how interesting it was. Dude was like, "I'll bring you one tomorrow."

Indians win the cultural dress Olympics. Men's dress is dope AF and saris are super hot.
BostonAg74
91_Aggie said:

BostonAg74 said:

People from Massachusetts just need to stay there
My daughter was born in Texas, raised in Massachusetts, and has lived in New York for the last 18 years. Kind of an a-hole trifecta.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.