A tire place took my tire

5,136 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Funky Winkerbean
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had a unfixable flat over the weekend so I went to go get a new tire. They wouldn't let me only get one because the tread was too worn down compared to the original tread. The tires only have about 13,000 miles on it but anyway I bought two tires and told them put my other tire you're changing in the bed of my truck so I can have it for a future swap if I need it.

I picked my truck up after hours and realized I didn't have a tire in there. I called them immediately upon opening the next day and the guy says he's gonna look for it. Now a day later they still can't find it.

Is there anything I can do about this? He did say if they can't find it they would offer me a discount on the tires I purchased but I doubt it's going to amount to the cost of what is essentially a whole new tire.
fc2112
Tear down their fence.
george1992
Lol you fell for the you have to buy two tires trick.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Saw you coming before you left the house dude.
Doctor Rosenrosen
AG
You also need a new Johnson rod.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Nah, it's all ball bearings these days.
Doctor Rosenrosen
AG
Harry Lime said:

Give me some 3-in-one oil and some gauze pads.
Unemployed
AG
I bet you bought a new cabin air filter from them, too.
george1992
RealTalk said:

I bet you bought a new cabin air filter from them, too.

You know they got him for the radiator flush and new wiper blades as well. Not to mention the upcharge to put fresh air in his other two tires.
62strat
AG
george1992 said:

I was next to her when she measured it and verified, I was out of manufacturers spec for only 1 tire replacement. (Original tread depth less 3/32")
Is it really a 'trick'?
62strat
AG
Geez rough crowd.

FYI, I went to 3 places that all required a pair purchase. (First two were out of stock)

Don't know what kind of ghetto tire shops y'all go to.

No I didn't get suckered into buying anything. I didn't even buy tires that match my existing pair lol.
george1992
62strat said:

Geez rough crowd.

Come to the GB and you are going to get your balls busted. Go to the automotive board for real answers.

Come on man, you of all people should know this.
03_Aggie
What kind of **** tires are you rolling on if they were worn out at 13k miles? And did you go back with the same ones?
histag10
AG
62strat said:

Geez rough crowd.

FYI, I went to 3 places that all required a pair purchase. (First two were out of stock)

No I didn't get suckered into buying anything. I didn't even buy tires that match my existing pair lol.

I have never been to a shop where they require a pair purchase, even when my tires were worn and wouldn't pass an inspection if I went in.

Sounds like a Colorado problem.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

The kind that do what you tell them?

I've never heard of anyone "requiring" a multiple purchase. Was this the kind of deal where you get a free bag of store-brand corn chips but you have to buy 2 jars of HEB salsa?
OldArmyAggie94
AG
Blinker fluid?
62strat
AG
03_Aggie said:

What kind of **** tires are you rolling on if they were worn out at 13k miles? And did you go back with the same ones?
they aren't worn out, but they are 4/32" worn from new (about 25%)
2/32" is the cutoff, they said they'd let 3/32" slide, but not 4/32", since I have AWD.
62strat
AG
Harry Lime said:

Quote:

The kind that do what you tell them?

I've never heard of anyone "requiring" a multiple purchase.
really? Because googling it, everything I read says otherwise. And 3 tire shops told me this.
Again, because my tread depth was out of required spec.
Builder93
AG
Doctor Rosenrosen said:

Harry Lime said:

Give me some 3-in-one oil and some gauze pads.
Preferably Prestone. No...no, make that Quaker State.
OldArmyBrent
AG
I thought the solution was to have grex with his wife? What has this board come to?
Not a Bot
AG
They sold it to someone else.
130Ag82
AG
fc2112 said:

Tear down their fence.
So funny every time I see this. One of the best threads in TexAgs history.
denied
You usually replace tires when they have 3/32-5/32 of tread remaining, 2/32 remaining is when you have to. I have no clue what you started with but them telling you that at 2/32 gone you need new tires is a scam.
MouthBQ98
AG
The idea is that if you have tries with significantly different treads and you hydroplane or brake suddenly on a wet surface, you might get uneven rear traction and have the vehicle yaw sideways. In reality, with modern traction control and vehicle design this is extremely unlikely to be an issue, and it was uncommon before that.

You can replace a single tire no big deal. Happens all the time.

I bet it was sold or taken by an employee, once you left.
UnderoosAg
AG
62strat said:

george1992 said:

I was next to her when she measured it and verified, I was out of manufacturers spec for only 1 tire replacement. (Original tread depth less 3/32")
Is it really a 'trick'?

Her?
http://i.imgur.com/H6jmyPq.png
Wearer of the Ring
AG
Drive back there. Park your truck so that it blocks two bays. Tell them to find your tire. Sit down and read one of their magazines in the waiting room.
FJB
62strat
AG
called this am and he said they had two guys and searched every tire in the pile. They couldn't find either one of my tires (even the one with a big hole in it), so he's guessing some dumpster bandits got a hold of them.

Options are discount on my purchase, or wait a week or two and if he finds a correct sized and similar type of tire with good tread, he'll give it to me.
62strat
AG
See, I like answers like this, because it provides specific and/or technical details.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=18

This corroborates the tire shop's advice of when I rotate my tires in the future, keep this new pair on the same axle; just swap front and back axles.

Course I wouldn't expect Texags GB to know anything about 4WD or AWD
agnerd
AG
62strat said:

Options are discount on my purchase, or wait a week or two and if he finds a correct sized and similar type of tire with good tread, he'll give it to me.
Translation: the scam didn't work on you, so they're going to scam someone else and give you their tire...
Edit: and this is why I put the spare on and drop off tires that need to be replaced. Got tired of them telling me I needed more tires that I really did.
IIIHorn

Return customers become retirees.
62strat
AG
agnerd said:

62strat said:

Translation: the scam didn't work on you, so they're going to scam someone else and give you their tire...
Edit: and this is why I put the spare on and drop off tires that need to be replaced. Got tired of them telling me I needed more tires that I really did.
apparently there are people (as found on f150 forums from related topics) that change all 4 tires anytime they need a new one, regardless. One guy claiming 'the OCD in him'.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Doctor Rosenrosen said:

You also need a new Johnson rod.
I can help out with that
oldschool87
AG
histag10 said:

62strat said:

Geez rough crowd.

I have never been to a shop where they require a pair purchase, even when my tires were worn and wouldn't pass an inspection if I went in.

Sounds like a Colorado problem.
For 5 bucks you can patch it yourself...
malenurse
AG
62strat said:

See, I like answers like this, because it provides specific and/or technical details.

This corroborates the tire shop's advice of when I rotate my tires in the future, keep this new pair on the same axle; just swap front and back axles.

And yet, here you are.....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
62strat
AG
malenurse said:

62strat said:

And yet, here you are.....
yep, here I am reading through unnecessary replies that had nothing to do with my original question. But I expect that.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.