Who is happier after a divorce - men or women?

9,071 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just read an article that said that after a divorce, women move on very quickly and unscathed while men are happy for a few hours/days and then go into depression.

Seems untrue to me. But I have not been divorced.

Thoughts?
TexasAggie_97
AG
Well it's usually easier for women to laid so they have that going for them.
NWE
AG
Healthy relationships not requiring divorce
chiken
AG
I think it would depend on who initiated the divorce.
azul_rain
Depends do you have a side chick already ?
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
texan12
TexasAggie_97 said:

A divorced dude will have to resort getting hj's at a truck stop (possibly from another dude) while his ex is getting railed and spoiled.
normaleagle05
AG
Divorce attorneys!
Mr. White
texan12 said:

TexasAggie_97 said:

A divorced dude will have to resort getting hj's at a truck stop (possibly from another dude) while his ex is getting railed and spoiled.

Hey, a hand's a hand
Keef_barber
Women already have dudes lined up been planning the divorce for at least a year out.
aglaohfour
AG
If there are no kids involved, it seems like the happiness level is relatively equal depending on the circumstances (no abuse, etc). Or at least that's what I've observed.

But I'm curious what constitutes "moving on quickly." For people with kids, I feel like the person who ends up with primary custody/responsibility for the kids (so yes, usually the woman), probably appears to be happier or to have settled into a healthy routine/lifestyle more quickly simply because they had to. If you're trying to do what's best for your children, wallowing in misery is not going to cut it.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
TexasAggie_97 said:

Not necessarily. Depends on how old the woman is and how much money the man has.
The Fife
I have the kids and moved on fast, but I'm also the one who initiated it. Life's good over here except for when I get a call from the school about some crap the kindergartener decided to do at school.
Claude!
I wonder who winds up happier when the divorce is contested or settled in court.
Al Bula
AG
infinity ag said:

I just read an article that said that after a divorce, women move on very quickly and unscathed while men are happy for a few hours/days and then go into depression.

Thoughts?
lol at reading anything passed off as non-fiction or scholarly work.

You realIze such nonsense exists to actively promote the destruction of the family unit, right?

Of course you do, and this is just trolling.
GTdad
Easy, Rod said:

infinity ag said:

Thoughts?
lol at reading anything passed off as non-fiction or scholarly work.

You realIze such nonsense exists to actively promote the destruction of the family unit, right?

Of course you do, and this is just trolling.
Kind of a hardass. User name does not check out.

This is purely anecdotal, but in decades of watching some friends' and acquantices' marriages unfortunately fall apart, I think the article is probably more-or-less correct.

Women seem to generally move on pretty quickly. Once they put a relationship in the rear view mirror, that's where it stays.

Men seem more prone to a phase of depression before they shake it off and move on.

But I've been married for almost 38 years, so no personal experience to speak of. Unless you count that ***** who dumped me after high school ...
Tex117
AG
Probably depends on the circumstances.

But my guess would be that women are slightly more happier after it ends on average.
LupinusTexensis
Married men live longer so I figure they must need to be hen pecked into having a will to live
saw em off
hunterntexas
AG
She met a dude about four months after our divorce went final and married him Saturday.
I know how miserable she was last time she was married, so I will have to say I am much better off.
Tatem
celebrated 17 year anniversary on Sat
trouble
AG
Short term? He was happier.

Long term? I am.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
LupinusTexensis said:

Married men live longer so I figure they must need to be hen pecked into having a will to live

Nah. We're just trying to outlive you bitter shrews so that we can have a few years peace at the end.
dcAg
Guys. I have been divorced nearly 9 years and am having the time of my life.
GIF Reactor
AG
saw em off said:

Such an awful song.
GIF Reactor
AG
trouble said:

Long term? I am.

How can you tell?
trouble
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

trouble said:

Long term? I am.

How can you tell?

We still know a lot of the same people.
infinity ag
Is this true?

infinity ag
My views on divorce is that it is like any relationship.

People are changing all the time. When we meet our mate in our 20s, we are a certain way and they are. We gety married and live together and grow together for some time. Then we may or may not develop different likes and change as people again. Some change is tolerable, but some won't be. And at that point you are more like someone else you meet, and that is how affairs start.

When it comes to friends I am connecting with my school classmates from decades ago. Some of my best friends from then, I find that I don't have much in common with and beyond some memories, we don't talk much. I have changed and so have they. Interestingly, some classmates who were barely acquaintances back then, I have a lot more in common now! We are much better friends in our 40s than our teens! We keep in touch and share more.
Tex117
AG
infinity ag said:

Is this true?

LOL, there is probably a x-rated version of this poster that would be more accurate.

BaitShack
AG

Stolen from the politics board.

Tex117
AG
Navin Johnson97 said:

Stolen from the politics board.

Ogre09
AG
My wife left me for another man. All that lies ahead now is a miserable, pointless life, slowly spiraling into deeper despair depression, with death seemingly the only way out.

And while he's going through that, I'll be fishing.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
infinity ag said:

It takes that long for men to realize that they now have to cook their own food, clean their own one-room apartment and wash their own clothes.
infinity ag
GiveEmHellBill said:

infinity ag said:

It takes that long for men to realize that they now have to cook their own food, clean their own one-room apartment and wash their own clothes.

What world do you live in? This ain't the 50s.

At my place, I wash my own clothes. My wife cooks most of the time but I also sometimes get take out or I cook about once a week. My wife is messier than I am and we have fights about the need to keep the house clean - I am the one saying house should be clean at all times, she says she is too busy and has other things going on.

Update yourself with today.
Stat Monitor Repairman
T&P for folks running re-treads.

Like getting into the ring with a 'retired' boxer. That muscle memory still there.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.