The sad thing with Facebook and other social media

3,396 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Blindside05
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Today is my Aunt's birthday. I had remembered, but I saw a notification on Facebook show up. The sad thing is my Aunt died almost 5 years ago.
My father in law was active on FB and he passed away this year. His birthday showed up this year.

I have 3-4 former co-workers who are on Linkedin who are no longer living. This includes the CEO of a past employer who died in an accident.

Some of their FB friends don't know that they are gone and on birthdays, they send them cheery public messages wishing them a long life and all that.

Very sad. I wish this is addressed somehow.
swc93
AG
Digital immortality.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Step 1: Dont have Facebook
torrid
AG
If they have passed, maybe you could unfriend them and not see all this? I'm fairly certain they won't get offended.
Slagathor
AG
Looks like if Facebook can tell that a person has passed away, they will "memorialize" the account. A person can also assign a "legacy contact" in the event they pass away, so the legacy contact can manage the memorial account.
https://www.facebook.com/help/103897939701143
agracer
AG
infinity ag said:

Today is my Aunt's birthday. I had remembered, but I saw a notification on Facebook show up. The sad thing is my Aunt died almost 5 years ago.
My father in law was active on FB and he passed away this year. His birthday showed up this year.

I have 3-4 former co-workers who are on Linkedin who are no longer living. This includes the CEO of a past employer who died in an accident.

Some of their FB friends don't know that they are gone and on birthdays, they send them cheery public messages wishing them a long life and all that.

Very sad. I wish this is addressed someho.
. The lesson here is to stay away from Infinity on Facebook or Linkdin or you'll be dead soon…
Gramercy Riffs
AG
infinity ag said:

Good. It underscores how ridiculous (and worthless) the entire social media "friend" concept is.
infinity ag
torrid said:

If they have passed, maybe you could unfriend them and not see all this? I'm fairly certain they won't get offended.

Yes, but I feel sad to do that. It's like finally acknowledging that they are no longer there.
I am a softie that way.

I still have their phone numbers in my contact list.
Proposition Joe
There's no less than 12 people on my phone contact list that have been dead for years.
george1992
Howdy Dammit said:

Step 1: Dont have Facebook
Step 2: Put you dick in the box.
infinity ag
Damn, I just found out that the CEO of the company I was with 5 years ago, died this past Jan. No, we were not connected on Linkedin. Cancer.
MouthBQ98
AG
It is a kind of interesting way to persist after death. It's just it happens to everyday people now too instead of just famous/infamous people.
Its Texas Aggies, dammit
AG
Some people give their login info to their lawyer with instructions to delete their accounts upon their death. Not perfect, but might help.

infinity ag said:

Very sad. I wish this is addressed somehow.
Drawkcab
As mentioned above you can memorialize an account to stop all that. Or complain about it in TexAgs. Whichever you think will work best I guess.
toucan82
What if those people are still alive in some digital form?
C@LAg
toucan82 said:

we are all living in a simulation.
HarleySpoon
AG
I've been ghosted by a number of Facebook friends.
AgsMyDude
AG
toucan82 said:

Black Mirror did an episode on this, was good

saw em off
My dad's been gone for 6 years. Just doesn't feel right to unfriend him.
infinity ag
saw em off said:

My dad's been gone for 6 years. Just doesn't feel right to unfriend him.

that is exactly the feeling i feel, my friend.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
So uh your Aunt.

She have big cans?
TyHolden
AG
Big tech just laughs....they don't care about peasants.
Blindside05
AG
Nacho Thigh Juice said:

So uh your Aunt.

Did she have big cans?

FIFY
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.