Anybody else had eye ball surgery?

5,768 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by fc2112
Emotional Support Cobra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Time to call a lid.
RockOn
In my lifetime, I've had 3 strabismus surgeries - age 7, 12, and 15ish. Here's a rough description.

Quote:

Strabismus surgery involves sewing the eye muscle to the wall of the eye after altering the insertion position and/or the length of the muscle. Standard strabismus surgery (no adjustable suture) utilizes a permanent knot tied during the surgical procedure.

I then had Lasik at age 33. My vision (and eye alignment) is impressively perfect, given my medical history.

In other ball procedures. I had an orchiectomy (I'll let you google it) bc of cancer when I was 24.
Aggie369
AG
I sell the lenses they use to replace your human lens, including panoptix. I work in Houston...if you have any questions feel free to ask anything
ShotOver
AG
txags92 said:

My sister had melanoma on her retina that was treated by stitching a radioactive disk onto the back of her eyeball and leaving it there for about 36 hours, then taking it back off. It was shielded on the backside to protect her brain, but anybody visiting her had to stand behind lead lined partitions and limit visits to ~5 mins because of the radioactive emissions coming out of her eye. I joke with her still that she was as close as anybody has come to having laser beams for eyes.

We live in amazing times….think of the advancements 50 years from now…
txags92
AG
ShotOver said:

txags92 said:

My sister had melanoma on her retina that was treated by stitching a radioactive disk onto the back of her eyeball and leaving it there for about 36 hours, then taking it back off. It was shielded on the backside to protect her brain, but anybody visiting her had to stand behind lead lined partitions and limit visits to ~5 mins because of the radioactive emissions coming out of her eye. I joke with her still that she was as close as anybody has come to having laser beams for eyes.

We live in amazing times….think of the advancements 50 years from now…
Yeah, she was the 2nd person in the US who they used that particular type of radioactive element on. The previous type they used had to be left on longer and caused more long term damage to the retina. Really amazing stuff...
JABQ04
AG
Had PRK 12 years ago. Still 20/20. No regrets
Batzarro
AG
My mom got both eyes done, no problem. My dad got one eye done, it has pain, the doc doesn't give a hoot, so he is not getting the other done.
fc2112
Aggie369 said:

I sell the lenses they use to replace your human lens, including panoptix. I work in Houston...if you have any questions feel free to ask anything
Thanks. Hopefully it will all go swimmingly.
Aggie369
AG
You in houston?
fc2112
Aggie369 said:

You in houston?

DFW
Whirligigs
I need to go take a grumpy.
Ptery83
Care to share the name of the practice? I'm familiar with most in the area. If not no worries.
BeeAg
AG
How old are you? I had cataracts in my mid thirties and had both lenses replaced. No issues with either surgery. Loved not having glasses. However a year later, I had a detached retina in one eye. Apparently it happens with "younger" people who have lens replacement surgeries. Now that sucked. I had four more surgeries on my right eye to get that corrected.
Not meaning to scare you, just be aware it does happen.
fc2112
Ptery83 said:

Care to share the name of the practice? I'm familiar with most in the area. If not no worries.
e-mail me at wbt5845 AT yahoo.com. I'd like to discuss a bit.
fc2112
BeeAg said:

How old are you? I had cataracts in my mid thirties and had both lenses replaced. No issues with either surgery. Loved not having glasses. However a year later, I had a detached retina in one eye. Apparently it happens with "younger" people who have lens replacement surgeries. Now that sucked. I had four more surgeries on my right eye to get that corrected.
I am almost 60.
BeeAg
AG
You'll do great. Even though all I had, still love the new lenses.
fc2112
UPDATE: Surgery #1 went fine. Sore last night but better this morning. Distance vision is already pretty dialed in, but up close still fuzzy.

The halos around lights at night are very real. Last night was a lot worse than this morning though. And halos are nothing compared to what I had with the cataracts.

Unexpected bonus - colors. In my uncorrected eye, everything has a yellowish tint. With the new lens, the colors outside in the daylight just jump out at me.
Sea Speed
AG
That has to be so cool to see colors more vividly
BeeAg
AG
I almost bought a new tv because I thought mine had gone bad.
fc2112
Since the overall tint was yellow, it's the blues that were the most muted for me. Sky and water look awesome.
infinity ag
fc2112 said:

UPDATE: Surgery #1 went fine. Sore last night but better this morning. Distance vision is already pretty dialed in, but up close still fuzzy.

The halos around lights at night are very real. Last night was a lot worse than this morning though. And halos are nothing compared to what I had with the cataracts.

Unexpected bonus - colors. In my uncorrected eye, everything has a yellowish tint. With the new lens, the colors outside in the daylight just jump out at me.

Best wishes to you!
infinity ag
BeeAg said:

My mother had cataract so she had lenses replaced. No glasses any more and her eyesight is much better.
Project Mayhem
AG
Was debating between multifocal lens replacement and lasik….decided on lasik….surgery scheduled for 10/29.
fc2112
Project Mayhem said:

Was debating between multifocal lens replacement and lasik….decided on lasik….surgery scheduled for 10/29.
I'm guessing you're younger?

Update: up close vision in replaced lens is getting better - I can see this computer screen if I try real hard. With the progressive bifocals, one just tilted their head to see. Now, I have to really try with my eyeball focus, which I haven't done in decades.

All the discomfort is already gone.

Biggest problem right now is one eye being farsighted and one near sighted. Looking forward to eye #2 on Monday and I can finally get used to this.
fc2112
UPDATE: 2nd eye done this morning. Feels like more discomfort that first eye, but hard to know for sure. Another two days home so I guess it's a Netflix binge-a-thon in my future today.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.