Anybody else had eye ball surgery?

5,851 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by fc2112
fc2112
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Will be getting my new robotic eyeballs starting next week - one eye on Wednesday and the other the next Monday. Have cataracts and am using the opportunity to upgrade to PanOptix trifocal interocular lenses.

Anybody else done this? I've worn glasses since like 3rd grade, so I'm looking forward to this.

EDIT: there are multiple ways to correct vision surgically. But it your natural lenses have gone bad due to cataracts, you can have a multi-vision lens inserted in your eyes that corrects your vision. The advantage is that at my age, my eye shape is not going to change. My lens will also not change shape so this fix is supposedly good for the rest of my life.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
I had LASIK, not sure what this is
AliasMan02
AG
Just regular ball surgery.
Unemployed
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Just regular ball surgery.
AliasMan02 = Lance Armstrong?
Ag81Golf
Will be keeping an eye out for updates.
Dumpster Fire
Went in September 2020 for cataract surgery in only my right eye at age 36. Opted for the PanOptix lense. Total surgery time was like 20 minutes. The recovery for the next 2 days sucked bad and was very painful. They only prescribed Tylenol and it didn't help much. It was mostly due to the tear they made (accidentally).

My dr tore some sac around my eyeball that made it impossible for the new lense to stay put (they don't have the little wings on them) so they downgraded me to the basic single focus lense with the wings that would stay put. I was and still am pissed about it, even after having a follow up with the Dr about the mistake. She just said it was rare and im SOL.

I'll occasionally have soreness in my eye that happens when my eye is strained. eye drops and closing them for a while helps.

Tatem
solid pass on any eye ball surgery!
fc2112
Dumpster Fire said:

Went in September 2020 for cataract surgery in only my right eye at age 36. Opted for the PanOptix lense. Total surgery time was like 20 minutes. The recovery for the next 2 days sucked bad and was very painful. They only prescribed Tylenol and it didn't help much. It was mostly due to the tear they made (accidentally).

My dr tore some sac around my eyeball that made it impossible for the new lense to stay put (they don't have the little wings on them) so they downgraded me to the basic single focus lense with the wings that would stay put. I was and still am pissed about it, even after having a follow up with the Dr about the mistake. She just said it was rare and im SOL.

I'll occasionally have soreness in my eye that happens when my eye is strained. eye drops and closing them for a while helps.

ought1ag
AG
A few years ago I had a mesquite thorn break off in my eye and they ended up having to cut it open to get it out......10/10 do not recommend. That being said the surgery was not that big of a deal. I was in a patch for a couple weeks and it looked pretty dang gnarly. I had 11 stitches that needed to be removed and after a few weeks they began removing 1-2 at a time and it probably too 6-8 weeks to get them all removed. Haven't had any issues since then. Not sure if this helps you any but I figured I would share my story.
Unemployed
AG
Tatem said:

solid pass on any eye ball surgery!
Word.

I'd rather deal with contacts for the rest of my life than risk complications from Lasik surgery.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
You probably have a greater risk of eye infections/complications from a lifetime of wearing contacts than lasik surgery. I got lasik and it is so much better than having to wear contacts/glasses.
Unemployed
AG
I understand. I just have an irrational fear of losing my eyesight.
fc2112
So the cataracts have gotten to the point where I have trouble seeing, especially at night. Oncoming headlights at night look like the incoming car is driving through a fog.

So I have to have that fixed regardless. It ain't getting better.
IIIHorn

I had LASIK performed on my contacts.
Goose
AG
RealTalk said:

Ain't nothing irrational about that.
UnderoosAg
AG
Intrastromal cornea ring segments.

Stick a vacuum ring to your eyeball to hold it, cut a slot in your cornea, and insert a plastic parenthesis.
Unemployed
AG
Goose said:

RealTalk said:

I should clarify...I have an irrational fear of Lasik surgery since it's reasonably safe.
BBRex
AG
My brother-in-law had a virus, probably the shingles virus, attack his eyes. He has some gnarly stories about the treatment.
Ptery83
Most people are overall happy with the PanOptix lenses but you may occasionally still need readers for small print or computer. Also, every light at night will have halos for a good while post op but most people adapt to that. PM me if you have more questions.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Had cataracts removed in both eyes and had lenses replaced with Symfony lenses about 3 years ago. No problems with surgeries or lenses. Still have to use readers for up close stuff, but distance is great. I opted for distance vision at the time. No pain to speak of, just use your eyedrops as prescribed.
Sea Speed
AG
RealTalk said:

Goose said:

RealTalk said:

I should clarify...I have an irrational fear of Lasik surgery since it's reasonably safe.

I'm honestly glad I never looked in to the dangers and dove in feet first because I thibkbi would have ended up in your shoes had I even spent a single minute researching potential negative outcomes
Leeman
"ball surgery" ... tee hee
infinity ag
RealTalk said:

Goose said:

RealTalk said:

me too
fc2112
Ptery83 said:

Most people are overall happy with the PanOptix lenses but you may occasionally still need readers for small print or computer. Also, every light at night will have halos for a good while post op but most people adapt to that. PM me if you have more questions.
thanks. Compared to the giant rainbow and fuzzyhalos I see now, it'll be an improvement.
lb3
AG
I got LASIK about 15 years ago and from my perspective, nothing online about vision procedures should be trusted. On one side are the big corps and doctors that are paying for the research to pimp their products and services. An on the other side is every person that ever had a bad outcome touting how much life sucks.

There are literally no objective sources.
Texker
AG
Lasik 20 years ago. No issues.
hgc159
Ptery83 said:

I had cataracts removed last year. I've been happy with the PanOptix. I chose distance in one eye and intermediate in the other, so I need readers for tiny print. One was a toric lens to correct an astigmatism. I haven't had the halos that others have. Distance vision is great day or night.

Best decision I've made. Procedure was 15 min for each eye performed 3 weeks apart. The improvement was obvious immediately after waking up - vivid colors and no cloudy vision. Didn't know just how bad my vision was until then. I never had any pain or discomfort. I couldn't tell I'd had surgery. I jokingly asked my surgeon in follow-up "are you sure you performed the surgery?"

I've always had this thing about people and things close to my eyes - even the ophthalmologist. Irrational but real.

Don't watch the youtube videos of it being done. Those freaked me out.
txags92
AG
My sister had melanoma on her retina that was treated by stitching a radioactive disk onto the back of her eyeball and leaving it there for about 36 hours, then taking it back off. It was shielded on the backside to protect her brain, but anybody visiting her had to stand behind lead lined partitions and limit visits to ~5 mins because of the radioactive emissions coming out of her eye. I joke with her still that she was as close as anybody has come to having laser beams for eyes.
Caesar4
AG
I think Harbor Freight has a DIY laser lens replacement kit.
BwdAg
AG
E K Gill operated on and saved my Dad's eye after he was hit by a rock in 1955.
IIIHorn
IIIHorn said:

Fortunately, the surgeon had been a good pupil.
fc2112
BwdAg said:

E K Gill operated on and saved my Dad's eye after he was hit by a rock in 1955.
did he stand the whole operation?
IIIHorn
IIIHorn said:

IIIHorn said:

His favorite flower is an iris.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
IIIHorn said:

IIIHorn said:

IIIHorn said:

His favorite flower is an iris.

I don't think these jokes could be any cornea
Caesar4
AG
Q: What did the right eye say to the left eye?

A: Between you and me, there's something that smells.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.