Any foster parents on TexAgs?

4,480 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MapGuy
AggieMPH2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You have gotten a lot of good advice on this thread. If I can help in any way please let me know. My wife and I have been foster parents for the last 5 years, have had 9 kids, 10 placements three of them we have adopted. Hope to adopt a 4th soon.

It's incredibly hard because the system takes foster parents for granted but these kids need someone to step up for them because it's not their fault. Good luck and god bless
MapGuy
AggieMPH2005 said:

You have gotten a lot of good advice on this thread. If I can help in any way please let me know. My wife and I have been foster parents for the last 5 years, have had 9 kids, 10 placements three of them we have adopted. Hope to adopt a 4th soon.

It's incredibly hard because the system takes foster parents for granted but these kids need someone to step up for them because it's not their fault. Good luck and god bless
Actually I have gotten a lot of good advice but I think the bigger thing is finding others to talk to about it. I am very excited that I'm maybe a month or two away from having kids in the house but to be perfectly honest I'm nervous because it's going to be steep learning curve for me no matter the training. These kids have been dealt a rough hand in life so I just worry about being the best possible parent be it short term, long term or, permanently.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Wow. My parents had some foster kids ( before my time), but 26 is something.
I used to run with a bunch of Calvin Klein male models 25 years ago in DFW
AggieMPH2005
Well it's normal to be nervous. Just realize that no matter what you are going to be at WalMart the night of your placement getting formula, milk, a crib, etc because what you planned for is not the kid that showed up at your door and that's ok.

Facebook marketplace has been great for us when we unexpectedly needed a 3rd crib and a 4 kid stroller.

The paperwork isn't too bad once you get the hang of it.
Lavender Gooms
AG
My wife and I are foster parents coming up on 2 years now. As we've come to realize, our state essentially thinks foster parents are doormats and have pushed us to the edge where we are going to have to really think about continuing this after our current placement goes back to her mentally unstable mom (at this point it's not an if, but when, unfortunately).

Be prepared for the hassles and absolute frustrations that come with dealing with what is likely an underfunded program with workers who are likely underpaid and overworked. Not sure how Missouri works, but in our state there are basically 2 branches of the organization that we deal with - one side is our placement worker who is essentially our advocate. The other side is the worker for the biological parents/their kids who are in foster care. We have been lied to numerous times by them, my wife has been yelled at over the phone at least twice by them, and we are constantly advocating for the best for this kid. As I said before, this kid's mom is nuts and in our state, it's clear the biological parents have way too much say when their kid/kids are in foster care. Example, our current girl just turned 3, we've had her since she was 18 months old, and we still haven't been allowed to get her a haircut because her mom has to approve it, and she won't.

Document EVERYTHING through e-mail with all the relevant people in the organization. Even if it's from a phone call or in-person visit, follow those up with e-mails just so there is something to refer back to at a later date.

I wouldn't worry at this time about stocking up on anything. Like other's have said, you're going to be at the store the day of/next day you get the kid. Hopefully they give you some notice and you can maybe get to the store before they are brought to you. Or you could be suckers like us who thought we were just being nice when we said we'd take 3 kids (5, 4, and 10 months) "just for a 48 hour emergency hold" at 6pm the day before Thanksgiving right after we finished training. No formula or diapers for the 10 month old and the other 2 only had the clothes on their back. Ended up keeping them 6 days (because 48 hours isn't really 48 hours in our state's world). Oh, and the case worker who dropped them off went radio silent the moment he pulled away from our driveway.

Lots of great positives about fostering, but also realize it's not all sunshine and roses like one would think. Depending on your state's laws, you may not be able to parent exactly like you think you want to.

I would suggest looking into reading some parenting books, especially if they are geared towards really hard kids (likely not the kid's fault, just their situation).

Also be prepared for your schedule to fill up, and fill up very fast. Visits with their parents, sibling visit, extracurriculars, therapy, etc.

Make sure to ask your case worked about what is reimbursable and how to submit those expenses. We've been pleasantly surprised what types of things get reimbursed for our kid.

I don't mean to come off as super negative, but our reality has been the only positives all come from the kid themselves. Expect a net negative from your state and be happy if it's better than crap.

You're more than welcome to reach out to us if you'd like. LavenderGooms012 at gmail
Woodward2206
Do fur babies count?
MapGuy
Just wanted to give this thread a bump to let you know the process took a heck of a lot longer than expected but we got our final approval today to become foster parents and then was immediately asked if we'd be interested in taking on a 1yr old girl and her 4 yr old brother. They've been with a foster family for 8 months but the foster parents are in their 70's and ran into some health issues. For that reason they aren't renewing their license and the kids need a new home by the 15th.

Who knows once they are in the house but it sounds like a good situation for our first attempt at fostering. They said the transition to the first foster home went well without issues. We live in the country with big dogs and animals on the property, they've been living on a farm for the last 8 months so that should help with the transition. They will be coming from a home that had a Rottweiler which is what we have, and apparently love that dog, which is a relief for us. My wife's nieces and nephews are used to purse sized dogs and when they were here for Christmas they were afraid of the big dogs and the dogs could sense that so that had me nervous even though he dogs were perfectly fine. So them being used a big dog is great news for us.

Also happy that at their age they should hopefully not have developed a dislike for going to Church as that is a big part of our lives and we already know our Church has told us to let them know in anyway how they can help us. I was worried about that because when I got married my teenage step daughter who has already finished up with school and stayed in Florida when we moved to Missouri, wanted no part of going to Church and I think that hurt the relationship.

We also took the advice suggested in this thread, the kids room is pretty generic right now but we did pick up some items good for many age groups like puzzles, Legos, Lincoln Logs etc so they at least have something to play with when they get here. And our social worker is going to talk to the current foster parents to see if they could suggest some items we could pick up prior to them coming here as well as some favorite recipes we can shop for ahead of time. But it sounds like since they are not renewing their license, much of the stuff the kids already have is coming with them which will help a lot. But we planned on once they get here to take the 4 yr old out so he can pick out some items to personalize the room with as well as some toys and clothes so he feels like he has a say in his day to day. Don't want him to just show up and tell him this is how your room looks.

We'll be meeting with them this weekend to make sure it is a good match which I'm sure it will be and we are really looking forward to the opportunity in front of us. Well I just wanted to let you all know as I got some great advice from many of you. We already have the kids room set up with bunkbeds we built but will now probably need to get part of it set up for the baby but we have a lot of good agencies around here to help with the initial cost of getting everything we need.
AggieMPH2005
Good luck, sounds like a good situation in that you have some knowledge about the kids. Just don't be surprised when what you are told the kids are like doesn't turn out to be the case.

aglaohfour
AG
It feels odd to say that's really exciting because obviously in an ideal world no kids would need to be in foster care. But I'm really glad that since some have to be, there are people like you who put so much thought and care into the kids. Good luck, I hope it works out well.

I'm in the process to become a CASA at the moment. Learning so much.
MapGuy
Met with the children today and we are moving forward with taking over for their current foster parents. The foster parents they've been with are awesome but at their age being in their 70s, it's a bit much taking care of a one and four year old. Plus they live way out in the sticks and no children are around for the kids to socialize with which they recognize isn't the ideal for their development. The one year old girl melted my heart at first sight, she is a doll, smart as heck, and is so calm. The four year old boy is going to be fun and challenging, the isolation and neglect the first few two years of his life has him a bit behind, but the current foster parents have done a heck of a job. Apparently his favorite parts of the day include taking care of the animals on the farm, mucking stalls, and playing with the dogs, he'll fit right in here. He isn't shy, that's for sure and I'm going to have fun being a part of his life. This morning after a church I talked to the Sunday school folks and they can't wait to welcome them into their ministry. Apparently the boy loves road trips so I'm going to take him up to Mizzou this weekend for the Aggie basketball game. Knowing it may be too much for him, my goal is just a few hours together in the car talking, and going to the game, buying him some hot dogs and a coke. He'll either like the game experience or he won't and I won't care about leaving early, just want some time to build a relationship. If he doesn't like the game we'll just find something else to do
Corn Pop
Super excited and praying for you guys and the kiddos! Sounds like a wonderful first! I'm really proud of you all!

Word of advice, take the boys name off and don't post names, even if it's just a first name. It's an extreme long shot that anyone of note stumbles across your posts, but even if it is 1 in a billion, is it really worth losing them over it….
MapGuy
Thanks for the advice, I agree and edited my post. These two kids were awesome, I mean the second I walked thru the door they were wanting to be loved on and were dragging me around to meet their animals. I can't wait for Thursday to bring them home. They were worried based on their Santa experience the little one would be scared of me due to the big beard but she melted in my lap and giggled with every touch. I never thought of my self as a kid person, today totally changed that
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
You and your family are good people!
MapGuy
Ghost of Bizbee said:

You and your family are good people!
It as much for me as it is for them, myself and my wife want purpose, there is nothing that can provide better joy than helping children. And heck, maybe I can spread the Aggie spirit here in Missouri, and attract new fans. It would be cruel to leave them to be Mizzou fans
MapGuy
Tanya, if I remember correctly you live in Columbia. Any suggestions for a fun day for a four year old there in case he doesn't do well at the game? My wife and I are debating taking the two of them or just me and the boy to the game but I want a back up plan in case the boy doesn't do well in a crowd
atag
AG
Follow whitneybethevillage on tiktok ...love her page for foster preparations
proudest member of the fightin texas aggie class of 2005.
MapGuy
atag said:

Somebody else mentioned that somewhere and it has been helpful. Almost at one week with the kiddos, it's gone far better than I thought it would. We are all still figuring each other out but, man, the connection was immediate. Love these kids, and never thought in a million years I'd connect with kids like I do these two. I'm not looking forward to going into work tomorrow, will be my first day away from them. My favorite thing is coming around the corner and the little one running to me to cuddle in my arms
Corn Pop
MapGuy said:

atag said:

Somebody else mentioned that somewhere and it has been helpful. Almost at one week with the kiddos, it's gone far better than I thought it would. We are all still figuring each other out but, man, the connection was immediate. Love these kids, and never thought in a million years I'd connect with kids like I do these two. I'm not looking forward to going into work tomorrow, will be my first day away from them. My favorite thing is coming around the corner and the little one running to me to cuddle in my arms

Blue Parachute! Please keep the updates coming!!!
Tanya 93
MapGuy said:

Tanya, if I remember correctly you live in Columbia. Any suggestions for a fun day for a four year old there in case he doesn't do well at the game? My wife and I are debating taking the two of them or just me and the boy to the game but I want a back up plan in case the boy doesn't do well in a crowd

Sorry, just saw this.

Couldn't help with this trip, but will check for what is open to the public again without masking in case you just want to come up on a Saturday
MapGuy
Tanya 93 said:

MapGuy said:

Sorry, just saw this.

Couldn't help with this trip, but will check for what is open to the public again without masking in case you just want to come up on a Saturday

We ended up not making the trip due to the snow.
MapGuy
They have been an absolute blessing for us
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.