Anyone have experience with an elder driver who is having their license revoked?

1,983 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 88planoAg
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I have an elderly relative who went to get their license renewed in April. Apparently, whoever he interfaced with at the DMV wrote him up to the Medical Advisory Board. He had to get a form and have his doctors fill them out and send them to the state.

The MAB comes back with "no you can't drive any longer" but you can appeal this ruling. So he filed for a hearing and has one in early September. He wants me to go with him.

Has anyone else been to one of these hearings? Any idea what the judge does in these things? I've advised him to just give up his licesnse and Uber everywhere, but he wants no part of that.
GunRangeGal
AG
I've seen the kind of people that do get to keep their licenses and it terrifying. I can't imagine being bad enough to have it revoked.
tandy miller
AG
GunRangeGal said:

I've seen the kind of people that do get to keep their licenses and it terrifying. I can't imagine being bad enough to have it revoked.
FJB
DannyDuberstein
AG
Here is the key question -> On the day of the hearing, are you willing to let him drive you there and back? If he's too ****ed up to trust, just tell him you are getting a bikini wax or something that day. If he's ok, go plead his case.
Old RV Ag
AG
wbt5845 said:

So I have an elderly relative who went to get their license renewed in April. Apparently, whoever he interfaced with at the DMV wrote him up to the Medical Advisory Board. He had to get a form and have his doctors fill them out and send them to the state.

The MAB comes back with "no you can't drive any longer" but you can appeal this ruling. So he filed for a hearing and has one in early September. He wants me to go with him.

Has anyone else been to one of these hearings? Any idea what the judge does in these things? I've advised him to just give up his licesnse and Uber everywhere, but he wants no part of that.
DO NOT TRY TO HELP THIS PERSON KEEP DRIVING - there's a reason this system has these safeguards. Think of everyone you love (especially a young child on a bicycle) and imagine this person who's too ****ing self absorbed that they don't care about your loved ones.
BostonAg74
My father in law had his license revoked when he was 94. He had a minor accident and when they saw his age, they revoked his license. Long story short, after months of tests and evaluations, he passed the driver's road test and he got his license back. First thing he did was to take his invalid wife on an afternoon date. When he got back, he walked up to my wife (his daughter), handed her his keys and said, "Here, you take these. I'm too old to drive. I just wanted to prove a point."
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I knew a guy once whose diplomatic immunity had just been revoked.
aglaohfour
AG
GunRangeGal said:

For real. I know someone personally who is a serious danger to himself and everyone else on the road and despite multiple accidents, close calls, and encounters with law enforcement, he still has a driver's license. It's mind boggling.

I know it's a sad thing to lose your independence simply because you're old, but I'm inclined to think that if "the system" that allows pretty much anyone with a pulse to drive is saying this person shouldn't drive, then he really should not be driving.
Caesar4
AG
I suggest to load Uber or Lyft onto his phone and show how easy it is. Go on a trip with him//her to some place fun/useful. Maybe that will make him/her reconsider.
TXAGFAN
AG
If it's gone this far you shouldn't do anything to support this person continuing to drive.
TyHolden
AG
Get him a self driving car. Buy extra life insurance.
aeon-ag
My mother at 92 had her license renewed no questions asked. Sh could drive better than half the fools and idiots 18-39 yoa on the road today. She didn't text or use her cell phone and rear end someone.
George08
AG
The person should hire a lawyer
Builder93
AG
I was in the passenger seat with my mom and she raced up to a stale yellow on a left turn and ended up running a red The conversation went like this:

"Whoa, mom! What are you doing?"
"What do you mean?"
"You just ran a red light!"
"It's OK, I'm old."
"Yeah, but I'm on the side that's going to get hit."
"Oh, Yeah. Hahahahaha"

This from a woman always telling me to watch the way I drive.
Girthquake

txags92
AG
If he has any grandkids who are about to turn 16 or graduate high school, convince him how much more they need the car than he does. What does he need a license for if he doesn't have a car? Let him turn giving up his license and car into something benevolent that people will praise him for. It worked with my aunt. We made a big production of handing the car over to her grand nephew on his birthday in front of all her friends so she could be seen as the really cool great aunt. She never missed having her car after that...
Damien Thorn
Would you like this problem to go away? Things can be arranged.
CajunAg97
AG
I remember at like 13 driving for my poor grandmother, she was so blind to drive.
In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
If at any time the judge says, "Let the record show the prosecution is holding up three fingers." You're screwed.
88planoAg
AG
If he shouldn't be driving then don't encourage him to pursue.

Best friend's dad was walking a hospital parking lot after a checkup and was hit and killed by an elderly driver who hit the gas instead of the brake. His pelvis was shattered, multiple other injuries and they couldn't save him. Please take the keys from elderly drivers who you know shouldn't be driving.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.