Cross posted on Military Board: VA to start processing disability claims for certain

984 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Aggie12B
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got an email from the VA today, and I thought the info could be beneficial to a lot of TexAgs Veterans, so I thought I would share

VA to start processing disability claims for certain conditions related to particulate matter
WASHINGTON The Department of Veterans Affairs will begin processing disability claims Aug. 2 for asthma, rhinitis and sinusitis on a presumptive basis based on presumed particulate matter exposures during military service in Southwest Asia and certain other areas if these conditions manifested within 10 years of a qualifying period of military service.
VA conducted the first iteration of a newly formed internal VA process to review scientific evidence to support rulemaking, resulting in the recommendation to consider creation of new presumptions of service connection for respiratory conditions based on VA's evaluation of a National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine report and other evidence.
The process concluded that particulate matter pollution is associated with chronic asthma, rhinitis and sinusitis for Veterans who served in the Southwest Asia theater of operations beginning Aug. 2, 1990 to the present, or Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Syria or Djibouti beginning Sept. 19, 2001 to the present. VA's review also concluded that there was sufficient evidence to presume that these Veterans have been exposed to particulate matter.
"I announced my intent to initiate rulemaking on May 27 to consider adding respiratory conditions to the list of chronic disabilities," said Denis McDonough, Secretary of Veterans Affairs. "Through this process I determined that the evidence provided was sufficient to establish presumptions of service connection for these three respiratory conditions. This is the right decision, and VA will continue to use a holistic approach in determining toxic exposure presumptives moving forward."
The Southwest Asia theater of operations refers to Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, the neutral zone between Iraq and Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Oman, the Gulf of Aden, the Gulf of Oman, the Persian Gulf, the Arabian Sea, the Red Sea and the airspace above these locations.
VA will conduct outreach to impacted Veterans and survivors to inform them about their eligibility and will provide information on how to apply. Veterans and survivors who believe they may be eligible for the newly established presumptive conditions are encouraged to apply. They should file a VA Form 21-526EZ if applying for the first time or a VA Form 20-0995 if they are reapplying for these conditions. For more information on the new presumptive conditions, visit our website at Airborne Hazards and Burn Pit Exposures - Public Health (va.gov).
To apply for benefits, Veterans and survivors may visit VA.gov or call toll-free at 800-827-1000. Within the next week, you can view the interim final rule at www.regulations.gov.
[url=https://texags.com/forums/63/topics/3214480/replies/59795399][/url][url=https://texags.com/forums/63/topics/3214480/replies/59795399][/url]

[url=https://texags.com/forums/63/topics/3214480/replies/59795399][/url]

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Thanks for posting. I've had some issues with this, that I reported while still active. I tried claiming it, and they said it wasn't service related.

I didn't get asthma, but I got a golf ball sized tumor in my nasal cavity that almost bled me out. We're talking hemorrhaging nose bleeds. They got it removed after 4 surgeries. Then it came back about 4 years later. Had to do it all over again. Good times.

EDIT: They couldn't tell me what caused it, but when I asked about certain things the response was always, "That's possible."
SquirrellyDan
AG
This isn't service related, but sleep apnea, carpal tunnel, getting hurt in ski vacation, etc., are all service related? The whole damn system needs to be scrapped. Va benefits should be for disabilities incurred unique to the service of your country, not from genetic ailments most people endure as the age.
Stat Monitor Repairman
I think the military ages your body quick

One day it hits you and every injury you've ever had starts flaring up.

Minor stuff starts affecting your overall quality of life, more and more.

If you were born with some defect and its not military related, thats fine.

The whole person volunteered.

Not just the good parts.
GAC06
AG
The vast majority of jobs in the military don't "age your body" any more than a civilian job
Stat Monitor Repairman
I agree with that.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

I think the military ages your body quick

One day it hits you and every injury you've ever had starts flaring up.

Minor stuff starts affecting your overall quality of life, more and more.

If you were born with some defect and its not military related, thats fine.

The whole person volunteered.

Not just the good parts.

Life In general ages your body quick. There shouldn't be career desk jockies who never left DC or Maryland on 100 percent disability. Driving to work and getting into a fender bender isn't unique to the service. Skiiing in Telluride isn't unique to the service. Developing sleep apnea has absolutely nothing to do with the service of your country, but there is a hugely disproportionate percentage of the military that suffer from sleep apnea. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that they get an 30+% va rating for it. Sorry for getting on my soap box, but in my short time in the military and working in the civilian sector , I've personally seen every one of these scenarios. We've got one guy is is certified 100 percent disabled, uses the handicap spots, and plays on the organizations basketball team. (And also didn't have to pay state property tax, which is whole other issue)
Stat Monitor Repairman
Every civilian job has got to pay into workers comp.

There is no workers comp in the military.

The VA is the workers comp and everything else that comes with it.

Thats kind of the way I look at it.

Same with merchant seamen

Same with railroad workers.

Same with longshoreman

A lot of particularly dangerous jobs have their own compensation scheme set up.

Thats all the VA is.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.