Did you cheat in school?

6,036 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by lb3
c-jags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
in JH, i had a friend that would always ask me questions in science. she was fairly smart, but for some reason struggled in science.

she would regularly ask me questions during tests and i would answer. we never got caught.

after a few months of that, i could tell that it was bothering her, so one time i started asking her a few questions during tests just to make it seem more even. for some reason, our teacher caught us that day. it was a whole stupid thing and parents got involved and i told the teacher what had been happening and she knew i didn't need any help on the tests, so she let it slide.

in my adult life, i have to take a lot of technical certification tests and i absolutely hate them, so i use two computers to leave the coursework to peruse open on one and then start the test on the other one. not overly proud of that, but it keeps my certs up and the questions they ask are meant to confuse the test taker, which serves no purpose.

also, i helped a lot with my wife's MIS work since i was pretty good at computering. she was there and typed in all the equations, but i was the brains behind it. MS Access was a stupid program. i was an mis minor and younger than her and took the same courses with the same professor as her a year later and got a 3.0 whereas she got a 4.0. i accredit that to her boobs.
falconace
Texasclipper said:

Apparently I cheated at A&M and and again in grad school at Cougar High l but didn't know it at the time. I reused significant portions of the same research paper I wrote for several classes at A&M and again once at UH. Apparently the Ivory Tower professors now consider that cheating, even though it was all my work and my words that I modified to meet several assignments. Thank goodness they didn't have that software where they scan all your papers in back in the dark age 1980s.

"Its an unfair advantage". Such BS.

And yes, I killed myself in "coyboy chemistry" at A&M for a 48 average going into the final of which I left 3 pages blank. But ended up with a C because almost the whole class was failing! Had a similar thing in Business Calculus the following semester but I think i had a 59 in that one going into the final. Yep, I suck at math!

I did this with a paper from senior year of hs that was then adapted for three different assignments at A&M. I was there in the 00s so they were just starting to get the anti plagiarism tech. The last time I used it they said I plagiarized myself. I argued that that is not a thing and got the A I deserved.
jwoodmd
falconace said:

Texasclipper said:

Apparently I cheated at A&M and and again in grad school at Cougar High l but didn't know it at the time. I reused significant portions of the same research paper I wrote for several classes at A&M and again once at UH. Apparently the Ivory Tower professors now consider that cheating, even though it was all my work and my words that I modified to meet several assignments. Thank goodness they didn't have that software where they scan all your papers in back in the dark age 1980s.

And yes, I killed myself in "coyboy chemistry" at A&M for a 48 average going into the final of which I left 3 pages blank. But ended up with a C because almost the whole class was failing! Had a similar thing in Business Calculus the following semester but I think i had a 59 in that one going into the final. Yep, I suck at math!

I did this with a paper from senior year of hs that was then adapted for three different assignments at A&M. I was there in the 00s so they were just starting to get the anti plagiarism tech. The last time I used it they said I plagiarized myself. I argued that that is not a thing and got the A I deserved.
I'm not doubting you two, but what are these profs doing? This is crazy to say "plagiarizing yourself" As a practicing surgeon who is also a professor of medicine doing research (and did research as a mechanical engineer before med school), I and all my colleagues reuse stuff all the time for journal articles, book chapters, etc. The ME prof I did research with went on to become an extremely accomplished academician and his philosophy was it's your material and if it says what you would say anyway it's not needed to rewrite words into different sentences that say the same thing. My wife also writes a lot in her work and she's even appalled.
azul_rain
Profs are stupid IMO, I've found many of ways to beat them at their own game
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
jwoodmd
hedge said:

Yeah, ok, think about the doctors I've educated next time you go to one; or, the engineers who built the planes you fly on and their professors.

And, yet, look where you are and your postings and we can all laugh that you say you beat them at their own game. Surprised you didn't say you "outfoxed" them!
azul_rain
Ive done my fair share of out bull****ting them, and I'm proud of it
Old RV Ag
AG
hedge said:

Ive done my fair share of out bull****ting them, and I'm proud of it
I doubt it - there's the old saying that you don't know enough to realize you don't know anything. I think you fall into that category perfectly.

Well, unless you consider crying in their office about your kitty cat being chased by a fox as bull****ting them, then you would be correct.
Howdy Dammit
AG
jwoodmd said:

hedge said:

Yeah, ok, think about the doctors I've educated next time you go to one; or, the engineers who built the planes you fly on and their professors.

And, yet, look where you are and your postings and we can all laugh that you say you beat them at their own game. Surprised you didn't say you "outfoxed" them!

I accredit my engineering degree and profession to basically no professor. I taught myself and that's how it is at A&M. The professors are worthless. I went to my electrical engineering class on syllabus day and never returned. Got a B. Having worthless professors and extremely hard exams did give me the valuable life lesson of being able to teach myself anything. Which I guess is the point of college.
histag10
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

jwoodmd said:

hedge said:

I accredit my engineering degree and profession to basically no professor. I taught myself and that's how it is at A&M. The professors are worthless. I went to my electrical engineering class on syllabus day and never returned. Got a B. Having worthless professors and extremely hard exams did give me the valuable life lesson of being able to teach myself anything. Which I guess is the point of college.

I assume you at least showed back up for exams
Howdy Dammit
AG
histag10 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

jwoodmd said:

hedge said:

I assume you at least showed back up for exams

Yes. Technically I did return 3 more times. Lol
azul_rain
If it works it works
Old RV Ag
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

jwoodmd said:

hedge said:

Maybe the exams wouldn't be so hard if you went to class, hmm...

azul_rain
Nerd
Howdy Dammit
AG
Old RV Ag said:

Howdy Dammit said:

jwoodmd said:

hedge said:

And listened to a foreign accent that I can't understand from a PhD research prof who hasn't spent a day in the real world? Trust me. I tried to comprehend them in more than one class. And I'm not dissing professors in general. It's just two different worlds. If you want to stay in academia and do research, great. But that needs to be a separate profession from educating engineers for the private sector IMO. I'm not sure why we structure it that way when 95% of the engineers will go practice as an actual engineer. Not sure how other technical disciplines are, but in my experience, it's a flawed system.
The Wonderer
AG
Slicer97 said:

Depends on who you ask.

She assumed we were exclusive. I assumed we were not. Since we apparently were not communicating clearly enough to be on the same page concerning such things, Imma go with my interpretation of the situation, so no, I did not.
Old RV Ag
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

Old RV Ag said:

Howdy Dammit said:

jwoodmd said:

hedge said:

And listened to a foreign accent that I can't understand from a PhD research prof who hasn't spent a day in the real world? Trust me. I tried to comprehend them in more than one class. And I'm not dissing professors in general. It's just two different worlds. If you want to stay in academia and do research, great. But that needs to be a separate profession from educating engineers for the private sector IMO. I'm not sure why we structure it that way when 95% of the engineers will go practice as an actual engineer. Not sure how other technical disciplines are, but in my experience, it's a flawed system.
Texasclipper
AG
jwoodmd said:

falconace said:

Texasclipper said:

I'm not doubting you two, but what are these profs doing? This is crazy to say "plagiarizing yourself" As a practicing surgeon who is also a professor of medicine doing research (and did research as a mechanical engineer before med school), I and all my colleagues reuse stuff all the time for journal articles, book chapters, etc. The ME prof I did research with went on to become an extremely accomplished academician and his philosophy was it's your material and if it says what you would say anyway it's not needed to rewrite words into different sentences that say the same thing. My wife also writes a lot in her work and she's even appalled.
I know it sounds nuts, but its true. I found out this was a thing because my son who is a college student told me. Sure enough, it's mentioned in his school's ( not A&M) academic honesty rules. It's in A&Ms rules too.

I've mentioned it before on these boards and a prof commented that plagiarizing yourself is definitely dishonest and gives you and unfair advantage over other students. She also said but doing that, the student "gets less from the class experience". She said you should talk to the prof in advance. Well of course if you do that you'll be told you have to do everything from scratch because this class is SO important. That really is BS. Its yours and you own it. I think the profs just don't want someone getting by with "less effort" in their sacred class.

I don't think it was considered "cheating" back in the 80s when i did it. They seem to have expanded the definition of "cheating" since then to include additional things, like using an old test to study when the professor is to lazy to make new tests. It's much easier to just say having an old test is "cheating". Studying old tests is totally legitimate just like plagiarizing from yourself is impossible.

You and your colleagues sound reasonable, which I'm glad to hear that there isn't universal academic insanity.
azul_rain
Fight me
bmc13
AG
Quote:

gives you and unfair advantage over other students

lol. that's a lame reason for them to give. what about people taking a course for a prereq where they already know the material? is that not an advantage? it's like they think their class exists in a vacuum.
HarleySpoon
AG
Texasclipper said:

I don't think it was considered "cheating" back in the 80s when i did it. They seem to have expanded the definition of "cheating" since then to include additional things, like using an old test to study when the professor is to lazy to make new tests. It's much easier to just say having an old test is "cheating". Studying old tests is totally legitimate just like plagiarizing from yourself is impossible.

You and your colleagues sound reasonable, which I'm glad to hear that there isn't universal academic insanity.
I think it must have been considered cheating back in the 80's. I had a really sorry AP English teacher my senior year of high school. She gave me 100 on a book report I did the first six weeks. Knowing she was pretty worthless, I just hand copied it for the sixth six weeks and got the same grade. About two weeks after graduation, the high school principal called me and asked if it actually happened and to show him the two papers since a couple of students complained to him after we all graduated and mentioned I had proof of her incompetence. I showed him the two papers and his only comment was "at least she's consistent."

Well, the following semester she was demoted from teaching senior AP English to teaching regular freshman English.

lb3
AG
I can write very small and often wrote note cards for other students. In 7th or 8th grade we had a history quiz and had to have memorized all 40 presidents (at that time). One of my friends didn't study so I wrote all the names on the side of his pencil for him.

But my most creative cheat was in middle school geometry. I took a stack of notebook paper and write in heave ball point ink all the equations for the test. Then when it was time for the exam I grabbed a blank sheet about 20 sheets down for my scratch paper and if the light was right you could still read the indentations on the paper.

I experimented with programming my calculator but never used it b/c by the time I was done, I had already memorized all the info.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.