Simone NOT participating in individuals.

16,122 Views | 221 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Claude!
AggieKig
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/2020-tokyo-olympics-simone-biles-withdraws-from-individual-all-around-to-focus-on-her-mental-health/

I guess fear of failure really got to her. In the article she admits to being in great physical shape.

My guess is she knew she felt this way for a while, though she would never admit it and it can't be proved.

Just one of those things that would have been nice to know BEFORE going through all the hard work and sacrificing required to make it to Tokyo.

harrierdoc
AG
So selfish. She prevented someone else from realizing a lifelong dream, just because of her "mental state". She made a commitment to represent her country and, without physical impairment that would prevent her from competing, then she should have competed, assuming she didn't have a psychotic break. Depression and anxiety don't "just happen", so if she had an issue with one of these, she should have not committed.
BBRex
AG
That sucks. I'm sure taking heat for leaving during the team competition didn't help.
Eliminatus
AG
Of two minds about this. Yes it sucks but if she is actually being honest, yes, mental "snaps" can come out of nowhere and unforseen. But it's just flat out not a good look at all and if anything proves the insane pressure these athletes are under.

Personally, I will give her the benefit of a doubt as I have zero reason not to. She has given us incredible glory and acclaim as a nation already but the rigors of these competitions I can't imagine, especially if you are a star but keep getting older and older.

So I will choose to believe her and hope the best for her. Disappointed yes, but I can't see the naked hate. Legitimately surprises me even.
Picard
AG
She is the perfect representative of this generation
TxAG#2011
She probably shouldn't have been wearing leotards with goats on them or posing next to them for photoshoots
riverrataggie
AG
harrierdoc said:

So selfish. She prevented someone else from realizing a lifelong dream, just because of her "mental state". She made a commitment to represent her country and, without physical impairment that would prevent her from competing, then she should have competed, assuming she didn't have a psychotic break. Depression and anxiety don't "just happen", so if she had an issue with one of these, she should have not committed.

Don't forget the coaches and doctors, etc she sees on a daily basis as well. If she was indeed showing challenges of mental struggles there would have been signs leading up and they failed as well.
CinchAG97
G.Q.O.A.T.
GAC06
AG
The power of SHE
Claude!
Her decision. This isn't China - her family isn't going to be sent to the camps (or alternatively, to even worse camps) if she doesn't compete.
tandy miller
AG
Snowflake
txags92
AG
I feel sorry for that girl out there who was the one who worked every bit as hard and sacrificed every bit as much, but didn't make the team because of a vanity quest by somebody who had already been there and done that, and who decided to quit. That girl would have realized a lifelong dream too, and probably wouldn't have quit on her teammates unless she was physically unable to perform.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
My wife chewed my ass for making the comment that we need to walk back all that GOAT stuff. Brady never sat out a game because of mental issues. Jordan always rose to the occasion and Ted Williams was a straight up bad ass.

She's a selfish kid and choked.
FIDO*98*
AG
Ways I have improved my mental health and sense of well-being:
-Set goals and work hard to accomplish them
-Push myself when faced with challenges to rise to the occasion
-Overcome adversity
-Put forth my best effort even when I know the results may not meet expectations

What I have done that has not improved my mental health:
-Quit
-Given up
-Decided I was a victim
-Let down those who are counting on me
racerfink
My, how low GB has sunk...
swc93
AG
Will be nice to get an update on the state of Women's Gymnastics during the one night I will watch it during the 2024 Olympics.
HTownAg
AG
Another shining example of the weak snowflake generation......
91_Aggie
AG
Sounds like some of you people are of the mind that mental illness isn't real and people can "just snap out of it".

Uninformed and ignorant is no way to go through life.

Wish staff could remove AgTags when people with supposed college education from A&M show this much ignorance. It's sad.

John Francis Donaghy
Eliminatus said:

Disappointed yes, but I can't see the naked hate. Legitimately surprises me even.

You post on Texags and you're legitimately surprised at how quickly grown men on the internet will spew hate at young athletes who don't perform as expected?
Scoopen Skwert
AG
She pulled a Cougar

harrierdoc
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

Eliminatus said:

Disappointed yes, but I can't see the naked hate. Legitimately surprises me even.

You post on Texags and you're legitimately surprised at how quickly grown men on the internet will spew hate at young athletes who don't perform as expected?

Big difference from not performing as expected vs not performing and quitting.
aglaohfour
AG
Nacho Thigh Juice said:

Brady never sat out a game because of mental issues. Jordan always rose to the occasion and Ted Williams was a straight up bad ass.

Did I miss the part where any of those people were sexually abused for years, kept it a secret, performed at the top of their sport while under the care of their abuser, and then had the explicit details of their abuse revealed and replayed in front of the entire world over and over? Oooh! Or what about the part where one of those people could make a mistake in competition due to being off their game mentally and it could result in their death or lifelong paralysis?

If you've known or you are an abuse survivor, you're probably aware that you can't predict when something will trigger a mental/emotional spiral. It doesn't have to be anything related to the abuse either - it could be a sound or a smell or a sense of fear, or deja vu from being in a similar setting/situation. It *does* come out of nowhere sometimes and it can be debilitating for a period of time. That feeling of disorientation and fear she had on her last vault very easily could have put her into a spiral and that only makes her human.

Simone has competed with broken bones, kidney stones, and the weight of being the face of a huge group of sexual assault survivors. To say that she is weak, physically or mentally is absurd. Unless there are Olympians in this thread, I don't think that any of us have an inkling of what that pressure feels like.

She's had a great career and has brought a lot of glory to Team USA. To discount all of that and try to make her legacy become "she's a quitter" is not fair. If anyone she "stole a dream" from has an issue, I'm sure they can take it up with her directly. But for everyone else, I think a little compassion for a young woman who has overcome tremendous challenges and represented our country well wouldn't go amiss.
tandy miller
AG
aglaohfour said:

Nacho Thigh Juice said:

Brady never sat out a game because of mental issues. Jordan always rose to the occasion and Ted Williams was a straight up bad ass.

Unless there are Olympians in this thread, I don't think that any of us have an inkling of what that pressure feels like. .

Do office olympics count?
Cromagnum
AG
McKayla be all like to Simone.
txags92
AG
91_Aggie said:

Sounds like some of you people are of the mind that mental illness isn't real and people can "just snap out of it".

Wish staff could remove AgTags when people with supposed college education from A&M show this much ignorance. It's sad.

Some of us are probably more aware than you are about mental illness and depression, and we recognize that if that is what she is dealing with, it didn't show up the day she arrived in Tokyo. The time to be brave and step aside was weeks before the team left for Tokyo so that somebody else who was mentally ready and deserving of the spot could take her place. If she was having these doubts and wasn't ready to compete, she should have stayed home instead of showing up in Tokyo with a "GOAT" leotard and basking in the limelight before quitting on her teammates.
Martin Q. Blank
harrierdoc said:

John Francis Donaghy said:

Eliminatus said:

Big difference from not performing as expected vs not performing and quitting.
There's also a big difference between men and women. Sometimes Texags grown men lose site of the fact that women are more emotional, psychologically weaker, and should not be relied upon under intense pressure. That's also why they should never go into combat.
tandy miller
superunknown
AG
Just for fun I pulled up the Larry Nassar thread from 3 years ago just to see who defended Nassar and blamed the victims for wanting to get ahead, and parents for allowing the abuse to happen. Etc.

It's exactly who you think it would be, saying the same **** you think they'd say.

Never change, texags.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
91_Aggie said:

You are right!!! Wrong thought should always be punished!!!!

Or maybe just call me an immature ******* and let that be that.

Or maybe see that my username comes from a nfl bad lip reading skit and realize that maybe I view Texags as a place to have fun. Even be an idiot at a time when being yourself can get you fired even if just joking.
Gig'em
IIIHorn

She has provided an whole, new meaning to the phrase: "mental gymnastics".
tandy miller
AG
Mental masturbation > Mental gymnastics
Unemployed
AG
IIIHorn said:

She has provided an whole, new meaning to the phrase: "mental gymnastics".
One of your best work.
Unemployed
AG
tandy miller said:

Mental masturbation > Mental gymnastics
tandy miller = mental midget.
tandy miller
AG
Thats why im not in the olympics
DannyDuberstein
AG
She has been in a slump, lost her confidence, and bowed out. Chalking this up as a mental health issue trivializes actual mental health issues

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.