Shocked inside during a thunderstorm?

3,984 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by GCRanger
BenFiasco14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've always heard stories about this. Heard on the radio this morning some lady was working on her computer and was shocked through it during a thunderstorm. Only minor injuries and was fine.

This ever happened to anyone here? I also have read you shouldn't take showers during storms for the same reason.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
DD88
AG
MouthBQ98
AG
Rare but it happens.
PneumAg
The shower thing doesn't making any *********mother ****ing sense. Why in the **** does lightning, rather than striking the mass of falling water/trees/metal objects outside, instead strike THROUGH YOUR ****ING HOUSE INTO YOUR SHOWER? I meant what the ****? That's bull*****
Ogre09
AG
Copper pipes
IIIHorn

If it happens more than once, it's revolting.
Texker
AG
I think MythBusters did a segment on showering during a thunderstorm and proved it at least plausible.
Win At Life
AG
PneumAg said:

The shower thing doesn't making any *********mother ****ing sense. Why in the **** does lightning, rather than striking the mass of falling water/trees/metal objects outside, instead strike THROUGH YOUR ****ING HOUSE INTO YOUR SHOWER? I meant what the ****? That's bull*****

Basically, a lightning strike is such high voltage and current that all available paths to ground become used to reach ground.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Rare but it happens.

Are you positive?
The Dirty Sock
Brian Earl Spilner said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Rare but it happens.

Are you positive?

Ohm my god!
BBRex
AG
I'm pretty sure that statement is grounded in fact.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Memaw? Is that you?
racerfink
There was a juco baseball player in Tampa who was shocked while talking on the (land-line) phone at a hotel.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Win At Life said:

PneumAg said:

Basically, a lightning strike is such high voltage and current that all available paths to ground become used to reach ground.

You didn't swear any in your response, so I'm inclined to not believe you
KidDoc
AG
So back in 2007 or so I had this happen to me. We were out in the country in the middle of Texas and a typical spring thunderstorm rolled in. We had a pretty large antenna for internet via a WISP and I was playing around on my computer around 8 or 9 PM. Then BAM a lightning strike hit the internet antenna and conducted down to all the connected devices. I felt a shock in my mouse and the computers/tv all shut down then smoke started to billow out of the AC ducts. We called 911 fire and vacated the place and waited in our truck outside in the driving rain while they pulled out our smoking AC ducts. Apparently the internet installers just draped Cat 5 cables all over the AC ducts and they caught on fire from the current transmitted through the tower.

Home insurance covered all the re-ducting and electronics destroyed, but was pretty nutty and memorable.

The shock I sustained didn't even give me a 1st degree burn. Just a pretty moderate shock that will get your attention!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ABATTBQ11
AG
PneumAg said:

It's completely random. However, copper pipes are a good conductor.
JoeAggie5
My grandma swore her landline phone that sat by one of her windows was hit by lightning. Other than a busted window and broken limb there were no signs like you know, her house catching on fire. Even the tree was fine other than the broken limb. Now I believe the limb broke her window and shorted out her phone, but memaw swore it was lightning and that she saw it with her own eyes.
JABQ04
AG
I was always told by mom when I was kid to not shower or bathe during a thunderstorm.

Never had anything happen to me inside a house during a thunderstorm, but 7 or 8 years ago when I was at Fort Polk, we were training when all of a sudden a thunderstorm showed up and dumped on us. I took a couple dudes and went to put our vehicle up. Got to the motor pool and put the vehicle online. I was opening the passenger door to grab my bag when I was shocked by the door handle. I had enough time to register I was being shocked when lightning hit a tree 50-75 yards away. Scared the hell out of me.
The Fife
Me, no but the house, yes. The place is old and a few of the drains and vent stacks are copper and I think one of those were hit. Flash, boom, a bunch of breakers trip, and the dog and cat go running off in different directions all at once.

A board on the TV, the Wii power brick, and HDMI on my computer's video card (connected to TV) crapped out. Annoying but it could've been worse.
Caesar4
AG
PneumAg said:

What are you so mad at? Is this how you normally react to things that you don't understand?
JJxvi
AG
Lightning hit a neighbors house or a nearby tree or whatever when I was young and I was playing an original NES game in front of a window that faced their house and I got a mild shock through the Nintendo controller (which never worked again, although the Nintendo and TV and everything did). Neighbor's house caught fire and everything, so I assume most of the energy went that direction.
AgsMnn
AG
Some folks in our town had their house struck while they were gone one weekend.

They come back and found their tile from their living room everywhere in the house. Stuck in the walls and ceiling.

Theory was, lightning struck and went to a floor plug and essentially made the tile explode. Scary if people were actually in the room when that happened.
hph6203
AG
I did, was banned from running in the olympics after for obvious reasons.
ToHntortoFsh
I saw it once while I was watching tv with my friend in his room. He had a window seat that I was sitting on and I had moved to sit on the trundle bed. Pretty quickly after that we saw a small bolt come through the window and hit his tv. The tv turned off and that was that. I was in 6th or 7th grade at the time.

Sounds crazy but it happened.
Rongagin71
AG
One summer at A&M, about 1970, I was sitting by my open window in Hart Hall opposite the Meteorology Bldg enjoying the cool breeze while reading when CRASHBAMWHACK and lightning sparks a foot long were bouncing around in the street. There was a large metal radar dish on top of the bldg that had been hit.
I went over and checked to see if anyone had been hurt but found only a shook up but healthy cleaning lady.
LupinusTexensis
I experienced ball lightening during a severe thunderstorm in a cabin in the mountains. It was one of the scariest experiences of my life that left me wondering if it actually happened since it was so fast.
Caesar4
AG
Several decades ago, I was at work and learned of an approaching storm & tornado warning. I called my wife on the phone (this was pre-cellular era) to alert her about the warning.

She answered and angrily/testily said that she couldn't talk because of the approaching storm.

When I got home that night, she relayed (less testily, lol) that using a phone (all were corded at that time) or plumbing during a thunderstorm was risky due to lighting following along those conductive paths.

I asserted hogwash or something to that effect.

Lo and behold, the newspaper front page the next day contained a report of someone who was shocked from a nearby lightning strike (a tree in her yard, if I recall correctly) whose current traveled into her house through some conductive path and reached her to some extent via her corded phone.

Lesson I learned was to stop and think and consider other points of view.

Also, I don't shower during a storm.
Amazing Moves
JABQ04 said:

I was always told by mom when I was kid to not shower or bathe during a thunderstorm.

Never had anything happen to me inside a house during a thunderstorm, but 7 or 8 years ago when I was at Fort Polk, we were training when all of a sudden a thunderstorm showed up and dumped on us. I took a couple dudes and went to put our vehicle up. Got to the motor pool and put the vehicle online. I was opening the passenger door to grab my bag when I was shocked by the door handle. I had enough time to register I was being shocked when lightning hit a tree 50-75 yards away. Scared the hell out of me.
Same here. At Chilifest eary 2000s. My hand was on the door frame closing it. Huge storm came through with cloud to ground lightning all over. 2002 maybe. Shocked me.
GCRanger
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.