What's the new "6-Figures"

10,895 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by azul_rain
FIDO*98*
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just thinking about back when I was a grad and making a hundred grand was a big deal. Now days you can barely eat on 100K much less raise a family. What's the new term for a decent salary? Double 6? Quarter M?
Texker
AG
Unemployment benefits
ABATTBQ11
AG
Not only do we (family of 3 with another one coming) eat on $100k, we manage to put some away. After all is said and done, with expenses, taxes, and 401k, we're still putting away everything my wife makes plus about $15k-$20k.
azul_rain
$250k
azul_rain
If you can't live on $100k as a single adult you have some big issues pal
John Francis Donaghy
Assuming class of 98 as OP's username implies: $163,836.81, which accounts for a 63.8% cumulative inflation rate since 1998.
Ulrich
100k is still more than most families make, but the same relative wealth/status is probably around 200k.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
We need the wrestler, Skran, and Scimitar to answer this.
cisgenderedAggie
Barely eat?
bladeag12
AG
You are joking right? 100k is way more than enough.
Gilligan
AG
You haven't met my wife!
chaca5151
FIDO*98* said:

Just thinking about back when I was a grad and making a hundred grand was a big deal. Nowadays, you can barely eat on 100K, much less raise a family. What's the new term for a decent salary? Double 6? Quarter K?

It sounds like someone is trying to keep up with the "Jones," maybe stop buying a bunch of depreciating assets. I thought I was balling at 80k when I was single; I had a ton of money and minimal expenses. I had fat savings account up until I got married.
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
permabull
AG
Once you are on the Hedonic treadmill, no number is going to satisfy you. I have heard people worth millions complain about how broke they are because they keep comparing themselves to even richer people.
riverrataggie
AG
This place has some solid cocaine habits. I'm proud of y'all.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Buying a house in this market, having a car payment, and contributing to your 401k completely eats up every bit of 100k
HossAg
AG
Pretty sure 100K is still pretty significant for young people. Just don't start a family like an idiot while you're making your starting 60K salary and you'll have plenty of money to live off of.
Ragoo
AG
I think 250k for a non MD or JD professional family is a modest income goal.
azul_rain
starting 60k salary, point me in that direction
Red Rover
AG
Gilligan said:

You haven't met my wife!

Actually many of us have. Quite a few times.
Ragoo
AG
hedge said:

is 60k starting a lot these days? Engineers were pulling down 65-80 out of school 15 years ago.
Hi, Im Brett
AG
Gilligan said:

You haven't met my wife!

she eat a lot?
azul_rain
Here in finance we are pretty underpaid until we have a book of business. Idk what engineers pull
TXAGFAN
AG
hypeiv said:

Once you are on the Hedonic treadmill, no number is going to satisfy you. I have heard people worth millions complain about how broke they are because they keep comparing themselves to even richer people.
Yup. There is always SOMEONE you know with more money and the bar is always higher - luxury car money, second home money, etc.

I'll just keep plugging away for that "retired by 45" money.
HossAg
AG
65-80K is still pretty standard.
azul_rain
Y'all top out at like 180k ?
Ulrich
hedge said:

Y'all top out at like 180k ?

Highest earning potential for engineers (other than switching to management, which is not uncommon) is consulting as a partner or principle.
Swarely
hedge said:

If you can't live on $100k as a single adult you have some big issues pal

John Francis Donaghy
HossAg said:

But still about a 30%-40% reduction in purchasing power from the $65-80k that Ragoo mentions making 15 years ago.
HossAg
AG
Yeah it's gonna be a while before I can comfortably buy a house.
Ragoo
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

HossAg said:

But still about a 30%-40% reduction in purchasing power from the $65-80k that Ragoo mentions making 15 years ago.
anyone who doesn't think inflation exists just look at the scale up of 401k contribution limits over the past 15 years.
Proposition Joe
hypeiv said:

CharlieBrown17
AG
Ragoo said:

hedge said:

is 60k starting a lot these days? Engineers were pulling down 65-80 out of school 15 years ago.

Hell, if you get stationed somewhere with a decent housing payment you make 60+ right out of college in the military. I can't imagine getting a degree and making less than that public sector.
snowaggie

Assuming class of 98 as OP's username implies: $163,836.81, which accounts for a 63.8% cumulative inflation rate since 1998.

Even though this is the boring answer, I appreciate the research, precision and literalness of it. All it needed was a drop-the-mike-and-walk-away...
Ulrich
Ragoo said:

HossAg said:

anyone who doesn't think inflation exists just look at the scale up of 401k contribution limits over the past 15 years.

Hey, there's no inflation. It's just commodities, housing, food, energy, and services that are more expensive.
Onceaggie2.0
something like 2% of men make 100k...Only on texags is everyone a millionaire.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.