Are you friends with co workers ?

4,832 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Drawkcab
azul_rain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Or are you just friendly and keep a professional relationship ?
AgsMnn
AG
Go to work to make money. Not friends.
Gilligan
AG
If you had a life you'd know the answer!

BTW - don't dip your pen in company ink
azul_rain
I was called antisocial in one of my reviews thats why
Charpie
AG
hedge said:

It's better than being awkward, which is what we think of you.

/it's a joke
/chill out Mexican Sea Bass
John Francis Donaghy
Work friends and personal friends are two different things. It's possible for some work friends to become personal friends, but not the norm.

Interactions with work friends are friend-like, but at the end of the day are still work related. More like team-building or networking than hanging out with personal friends.

Being anti-social makes you easier to let go when downsizing needs to happen, and you likely aren't going to be the first person your boss/teammates think of for important assignments/opportunities.

Humans are still human. Performance on paper will never be the only aspect of advancement.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
I'm friends with my co-workers, we usually will all go out to the bar about once a week, and go on hunting and fishing trips together (that the company pays for).
azul_rain
I don't think I could perform my job if I was awkward, I'm a natural people's person but I'm highly introverted. I need to re-charge pretty much every day after dealing with clients all day
Corn Pop
hedge said:

I don't think I could perform my job if I was awkward, I'm a natural people's person but I'm highly introverted. I need to re-charge pretty much every day after dealing with clients all day

Exactly the same. My wife says I have an on switch. Extremely social, life of the party but it certainly isn't my natural state.
Gilligan
AG
Listen to what JFD said. You need to connect / relate with your coworkers, but work comes first. Stay Off Texags While You're Working!

That will make you more available and social to coworkers.
Old RV Ag
AG
Corn Pop said:

hedge said:

Exactly the same. My wife says I have an on switch. Extremely social, life of the party but it certainly isn't my natural state.
Likely, the switch is labeled C2H5OH
BCSLocal01
Friendly at work but not friends outside of work. They're all to much of the talk behind your back kind. I dont keep that kind of person as a friend. But still try to have casual conversations and interact beyond just work related business. We don't hang out outside of work
Some of the best friends I have, I met where I worked.
Claude!
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don't really care about them.
aTm2004
AG
As I'm reaching the mid-point in my career as a married guy with a family, I'm not friends with any of my co-workers. If I run into any of them outside of work, I'll acknowledge them and chat if they want to, but I don't seek out any to hang out with outside of work. My former boss (left the company) is an Ag and a great guy, so I wouldn't mind hanging out with him outside of work because he was awesome to work for and we have similar interests.

At my previous company, it was a much different story since I started there a single guy ~1 year out of college, and became a part of a group of similar aged singles, and we spent the weekends hanging out and going drinking. One of them had a daddy who lived out of state but owned a pretty nice house on Lake Conroe, so we'd go up there quite often and have some fun.
AggieVictor10
AG
Some of my coworkers were some of my closest friends before I started working with them. Hell, I've known some of them since my time at A&M.

Before I worked where I'm currently working at though, most of my friendships at work were working relationships only. The main one that wasn't was with my manager, who is also a former student with kids roughly my age (one of them graduated from A&M a year after me). She would invite me over to family gatherings and we still keep in touch.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'd hang out with them at a bar after work, but I'd never go to their house for a weekend BBQ.
JABQ04
AG
I guess I don't follow the norm. I've spent time away from work with co-workers. Went to bars, parties, baseball games. I'd consider them friends.
Slicer97
AG
I'd hang out with my boss. And my boss's boss. And the other 2 pathologists there.

The rest of 'em are just sorta there.
Jack Cheese
AG
My boss is a close personal friend.

Most everyone else is just a work friend. But usually very cordial, unless they are an a hole.
zephyr88
AG
I'm friends with a couple, but mostly professional across the board.

But, there is this one hot chick...
62strat
AG
I'm at a small good ol boys company. Like, 6 PMs that are all owners and have a decade or two of working there. Their wives know each other, they have dinner at each other's houses, stuff like that. Along with it they all had kids of generally same age.
I'm not really in it, as I've only been there 5 years, and I have young kids (all their kids are high school or older) But I could see doing stuff with them like fishing, hunting trips, or stuff I've already done like go to pro sports games or clay shoot courses.

We all went to Vegas a few years ago for pure fun on a subcontractor dime and I definitely fit in with the group great.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
Depends on the work environment.

Current company - everyone friendly at work and nothing more.

Last company - I was the oddball that didn't buy into the VP's beach house or boat excursions. Those guys hated being at home and claiming "work related" was their excuse out of the house. Way too much money being exchanged between them...like buying and selling boats, vehicles, and land amongst themselves.

Other companies have been somewhere in the middle
Pirate04
AG
Most of my friends here in Florida are people I work with and the majority of them are from the Army.
Texker
AG
Married one.
JoeAggie5
When i was at a small branch I had no choice but to be friends as there were only 3 of us, and if I wasn't "friends" it would have been bad situation since the other 3 all hung out so yes we were friends, but I did it purely to not make it awkward, when I left I did not stay in contact. When I moved to a large company, I would do happy hours every once in a while just to be social, but no I wouldn't consider any of them my friends. There are a few people I stay in contact with, but I would not call them my friend.
Petrino1
The first job I had out of college was working for a company where everyone that worked there was pretty much single and fresh out of college. The actual work sucked, but everyone quickly became friends and it was like working with your best friends. Lots of happy hours, hanging out on weekends, trips etc. Im still friends with a lot of these guys 10 years later.

Every job I've had since then I've made friends with a few coworkers and still keep in touch after I left.
MouthBQ98
AG
Married to a co-worker. She hired on about a year after we got married in another department but our careers stayed in the same general area of the business. Only real limitation is we can't be placed in a supervisory relationship at work but that's a non issue really.

Outside that, I am cordial and friendly with other food-workers but we don't hang out in our personal lives.
Human Being
AG
I was at my last company for almost 6 years when I resigned I received 1 call from a coworker so I guess that answers your question. I was in sales and as long as you meet numbers they tell you how important you are but it's all a charade. I've always known Corp America is full of **** though so that's what I expected. All I wanted from them was checks deposited in my account I didn't care about company team building bull*****
Human Being
AG
hedge said:

That probably means you have above average intelligence and you get bored with small talk like me. All of my bosses always wanted me to be more apart of the team. I started my own small business I'm working my ass off but never happier
Human Being
AG
Claude! said:

When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don't really care about them.

I love this! Brilliant.
Old RV Ag
AG
Claude! said:

I absolutely could be friends with you. You really have the same philosophy I do. Have a good evening Clyde!
John Francis Donaghy
Claude! said:

That's nice Clyde. Now let's get back on topic.
TyHolden
AG
hedge - i'm your buddy at work dammit. drinks friday are on me!

you are running for governor m-****er! we gotta get this **** started.
John Francis Donaghy
MaximusDMeridius said:

hedge - i'm your buddy at work dammit. drinks friday are on me!

you are running for governor m-****er! we gotta get this **** started.

That's brilliant!!!

The Governors Mansion comes rent free. The bitter olds on here will have a collective aneurysm over Hedge living in a mansion on their dime.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.