America's Best & Worst Cities for BBQ

5,722 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by akaggie05
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
malenurse said:

BBRex said:

In Houston, there was Gatlin's and what else before 2010 in Houston?
Goode Company in the 80's and 90's was pretty good.

Not so much after that.

Pizzitola's
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Well, I know when I think of good BBQ, I think.........Newark, NJ.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Win At Life said:

Well, when most if the rest if the country thinks BarBQ is pulled pork, I can see how they got that.

This this and this. It blows my mind. "Omg this place has the best bbq ever"! You go and it's just mushy pulled pork that has some variant of bbq sauce they drown it with.

Texas bbq has brisket, sausage, pork, chicken, turkey, ribs etc. And it's not just the variety, it actually tastes good at the good places.

Most other places around the country equals pulled pork and ribs. So ridiculous. How can you get that excited about a pulled pork sandwich?
Bruce Almighty
AG
If you can't enjoy a Carolina pulled pork sandwich, there's something wrong with your taste buds. Just because it's not Texan doesn't mean it can't be good.
Slicer97
AG
Round Top Smokehouse.

The bbq is ok (on par with Rudy's) but the sides are excellent. Cowboy beans have enough brisket chunks to be a meal on its own. The jalapeno cheese grits have a hint of fresh masa and the creamed corn is almost as good as J. Cody's.

It ain't Snow's or Franklin's, but it's a damned good lunch. Oh, and free beer too.
malenurse
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

If you can't enjoy a Carolina pulled pork sandwich, there's something wrong with your taste buds. Just because it's not Texan doesn't mean it can't be good.
The point was, the Atlantic states think they have great BBQ because they make great pulled pork. Which is really the easiest meat to smoke. Think about when a newbee buys a smoker and askes for advice on smoking meats. We always tell them to start with a pork butt because it's really hard to mess up.

The Carolinas, Tennessee, Georgia BBQ all boil down to two things, pork and vinegar based sauce. That's fine. I love a good pulled pork sandwich. But their "dry rub" ribs aren't nearly as good as what you get here. And briskets there can't compare with the briskets you get in the hill country and central Texas BBQ joints.

CDub06
AG
Slicer97 said:

RealTalk said:

There was a time when Rudy's was the best BBQ in Houston (I think it's good BBQ and never disappoints). The BBQ scene in Houston has come a long way in the past ten years.

Rudy's is kinda the baseline for bbq. If it's better than Rudy's, it's good bbq. If it's not as good as Rudy's, you shouldn't waste your time on it.

My law of bbq
lb3
AG
Slicer97 said:

RealTalk said:

There was a time when Rudy's was the best BBQ in Houston (I think it's good BBQ and never disappoints). The BBQ scene in Houston has come a long way in the past ten years.

Rudy's is kinda the baseline for bbq. If it's better than Rudy's, it's good bbq. If it's not as good as Rudy's, you shouldn't waste your time on it.
Agree. Rudy's should be considered the lowest edible BBQ.
Bruce Almighty
AG
malenurse said:

Bruce Almighty said:

The point was, the Atlantic states think they have great BBQ because they make great pulled pork. Which is really the easiest meat to smoke. Think about when a newbee buys a smoker and askes for advice on smoking meats. We always tell them to start with a pork butt because it's really hard to mess up.

The Carolinas, Tennessee, Georgia BBQ all boil down to two things, pork and vinegar based sauce. That's fine. I love a good pulled pork sandwich. But their "dry rub" ribs aren't nearly as good as what you get here. And briskets there can't compare with the briskets you get in the hill country and central Texas BBQ joints.

You say you love pulled pork, well, that sounds like you think it's great. How difficult something is shouldn't matter. Tex-Mex is fairly simple to make, especially compared to many authentic Mexican dishes. I'm sure most posters would disagree if somebody said Texas doesn't have great Mexican food.
TyHolden
AG
Bill Mealer's with my $15 IPAs
malenurse
AG
Well, you've missed the point twice and you're giving me a headache. I'm done.
inozips
AG
Hedge - talk to us about San Antonio. The Original Rudy's nothing special - they are trying breakfast tacos now. They are nothing special either. Bar B Cutie - ok to meh. Like the Smoke Shack, don't get downtown often.
Slicer97
AG
I have not personally had the opportunity to try it, but I've heard a lot of good things about 2M Smokehouse.
TXAG 05
AG
Pinkertons just opened a big store in SA.
rlb28
AG
Went to Hutchins BBQ this weekend. Outstanding!
Deputy Travis Junior
Yep. It's like the Red Robin or TGIF of BBQ. It's significantly better than fast food, but it's still nothing special and you shouldn't go out of your way to get it.

That said, I lived in a barbecue desert 10 years ago, so when Rudy's opened a location, I was there in opening day.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
c-jags said:

Harry Lime said:

RealTalk said:

There was a time when Rudy's was the best BBQ in Houston (I think it's good BBQ and never disappoints).
No, there most certainly was not.

Rudy's is fine and I still eat there sometimes when it's a convenient meat-up spot. But it was never the best.

I have a friend that lives in Portland with in-laws in Katy and is legit excited every time he comes to see them for Rudy's.

It's good, but I'm sad for somebody that gets excited about it.

This is the exact reason the Texas places are rated "worst" the BBQ snobs in Texas that think it is "bad" where in reality it is good compared pretty much everything outside of texas
Cromagnum
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

It's good if you like vinegar bombs.
Iowaggie
AG

People from Oklahoma giving a lot of negative responses to this tweet
Dr.Rumack
They forgot El Paso.
GAC06
AG
Iowaggie said:

I agree with the principle but there's good BBQ across the south
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

Having lived there, I can tell you BBQ in Seattle SUCKS.

But the people up there probably think all three places are great.

What are these 3? I lived in Seattle (Kirkland) from 2010 - 2014. If I had free time on a weekend, I would search for best BBQ in Seattle and try it out. Never found a place that I would consider better than just good/average based on Texas standards. Jack's BBQ did not open in SoDo until after I left the state.
Tanya 93
GAC06 said:

Iowaggie said:

The Upper Midwest should be posting about Casseroles
GAC06
AG
Tanya 93 said:

GAC06 said:

Iowaggie said:

Yeah. Or "chili" served over spaghetti with cheese
Tanya 93
GAC06 said:

Tanya 93 said:

GAC06 said:

Iowaggie said:

Yeah. Or "chili" served over spaghetti with cheese
A couple of them also serve chili with cinnamon rolls
superunknown
AG
Iowaggie said:

the last time I cared about anything anyone in Oklahoma thinks was never
akaggie05
AG
"Chef's Pencil is an international foodie magazine that was launched in 2009 by a Dutch chef based in Sydney, Australia. "

Found the problem.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.