"Dear White People" email...

19,082 Views | 224 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cj774
GAC06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well said
txags92
AG
Exactly! I find it interesting how quick the race panderers are to make blanket stereotypical assumptions about how white people grew up and what their experiences are, while condemning anybody who does the same about other races.
ABATTBQ11
AG
txags92 said:

Exactly! I find it interesting how quick the race panderers are to make blanket stereotypical assumptions about how white people grew up and what their experiences are, while condemning anybody who does the same about other races.

Even they do it for other races. It's just reversed. All other races have the same victim experience and socioeconomic disadvantages. They've all been victims of overt racism and been denied jobs and positive they've rightfully earned in favor of lesser qualified white candidates. None have ever experienced any level of privilege approaching that supposedly held by whites.

It's when you question this broad assumption and point out the likes of Jonathon Butler, that you're condemned. Butler was a head student and prominent activist during the protests at Mizzou several years ago who, despite claiming racial prejudice and decrying the likes of white privilege, came from a very wealthy family. His father was a railroad executed with a yearly compensation north of $8 million. Only in America could a black man who grew up in a mansion with a father making more money in a year than the average white person will make in a lifetime be exalted for protesting his "oppression" and "mistreatment" at the hands of white people as if he had never experienced any kind privilege.
txags92
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

txags92 said:

Even they do it for other races. It's just reversed. All other races have the same victim experience and socioeconomic disadvantages. They've all been victims of overt racism and been denied jobs and positive they've rightfully earned in favor of lesser qualified white candidates. None have ever experienced any level of privilege approaching that supposedly held by whites.

It's when you question this broad assumption and point out the likes of Jonathon Butler, that you're condemned. Butler was a head student and prominent activist during the protests at Mizzou several years ago who, despite claiming racial prejudice and decrying the likes of white privilege, came from a very wealthy family. His father was a railroad executed with a yearly compensation north of $8 million. Only in America could a black man who grew up in a mansion with a father making more money in a year than the average white person will make in a lifetime be exalted for protesting his "oppression" and "mistreatment" at the hands of white people as if he had never experienced any kind privilege.

Reminds me of a girl I went to high school with. She was national merit honorable mention, and i was a national merit finalist. She was the 3rd generation of her family born in the US. She has a hispanic last name, but speaks no spanish and has no contact with her relatives from mexico. Her dad was a PhD guidance counselor for a large high school and her mom was a chemical engineer at a plant. Her parents income was at least double that of mine. We lived in the same town and went to the same schools. Her national merit scholarship to A&M was a full ride because she is hispanic, while mine was $2,000 per semester. So explain my privilege to me again?

ETA: Let me just also say that I didn't post that to insinuate that my friend did anything wrong in getting that scholarship. There was a program out there that gave those scholarships to Hispanic students wanting to go to A&M, and she met the qualifications. I was more trying to point out that there are different stories of the life experiences for people of all races and colors, and to assume the conditions of somebody's upbringing or how hard or easy their life might have been based purely on skin color or heritage is racist in and of itself. So to assume somebody is "privileged", based only on skin color is racist in my opinion.
ABATTBQ11
AG
You don't have to assume everyone is a racist every time they look at you or interact with you.
NoahAg
ABATTBQ11 said:

You don't have to assume everyone is a racist every time they look at you or interact with you.
That's exactly what a racist would say.
cisgenderedAggie
NoahAg said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

That's exactly what a racist would say.

Can't tell if if woke or sane and fond of humor.
txags92
AG
Huh? Are you saying that is my privilege? If so, nobody has to assume that. Only people who are raised by people telling them that everybody is racist have to assume that. If you grew up believing that or believe that today, I feel sorry for you, because you have a warped view of how most people see people of other ethnicities.
ABATTBQ11
AG
txags92 said:

Huh? Are you saying that is my privilege? If so, nobody has to assume that. Only people who are raised by people telling them that everybody is racist have to assume that. If you grew up believing that or believe that today, I feel sorry for you, because you have a warped view of how most people see people of other ethnicities.

Joke

Your head
txags92
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

txags92 said:

Joke

Your head
Thanks...I guess so. I thought I had gone to crazy town there for a minute. Well as least further into crazy town than usual for a Texags thread...
Ag with kids
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

If you assume there is racism around every corner, you will find racism around every corner...
BQ08
AG
Notice how some posters just lobbed Molotov cocktails and left with no response?

The Nervy of some people... not a Speck of integrity...
HarleySpoon
AG
BQ08 said:

Notice how some posters just lobbed Molotov cocktails and left with no response?

Did I just observe a micro insult?
The Fife
speck
AG
BQ08 said:

? responded all day. There's plenty of good stuff there. Msg me if you want to talk more.
cj774
AG
The Fife said:

Monty Python saw these absurd and sad days long ago it seems.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.