"Dear White People" email...

19,091 Views | 224 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cj774
kbassil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A&M just sent me their newsletter with the title "Dear White People"

That links to https://education.tamu.edu/critical-race-theory-expert-pens-dear-white-people/

An excerpt:

Critical race theory experts invite you to have an honest conversation about whiteness your whiteness.

Dr. Lori Patton DavisLong Description
Dr. Lori Patton Davis
Dr. Chayla Haynes DavisonLong Description
Dr. Chayla Haynes Davison
Dr. Chayla Haynes Davison and co-author Dr. Lori Patton Davis published "Dear White People," an article that provides education and resources for white people on how they can reimagine their whiteness to begin dismantling racism in themselves and fellow white people.

"While Dr. Patton and I do not see it as our role to tell white people how to unlearn whiteness, we offer our perspective on the topic as Black women who contend with its ugliness every day," Haynes Davison said.

Are
You
Fking
Kidding
Me

Edit to add photos:

kbassil said:

https://ibb.co/NKxGdn9
https://ibb.co/Y8ZTfkt
https://ibb.co/jhgMpyc
https://ibb.co/kcwzvSS

It is a newsletter that links to the full article. This was the first portion of the newsletter, at the very start.
ToddyHill
AG
Last time I checked, I am a Baby Boomer white guy who loves classic rock.

Does his mean I have to like Rap?
kbassil
AG
Critical race theory is the most racist pile of dog sht I've ever seen in my life. Get that out of my face.
txags92
AG
kbassil said:

A&M just sent me their newsletter with the title "Dear White People"

That links to https://education.tamu.edu/critical-race-theory-expert-pens-dear-white-people/

An excerpt:

Critical race theory experts invite you to have an honest conversation about whiteness your whiteness.

Dr. Lori Patton DavisLong Description
Dr. Lori Patton Davis
Dr. Chayla Haynes DavisonLong Description
Dr. Chayla Haynes Davison
Dr. Chayla Haynes Davison and co-author Dr. Lori Patton Davis published "Dear White People," an article that provides education and resources for white people on how they can reimagine their whiteness to begin dismantling racism in themselves and fellow white people.

"While Dr. Patton and I do not see it as our role to tell white people how to unlearn whiteness, we offer our perspective on the topic as Black women who contend with its ugliness every day," Haynes Davison said.

Are
You
Fking
Kidding
Me

Not another dime. Shut down whatever department is employing those racists.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Tired of all this bullcrap
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
So they email this out thinking some people might be interested in listening, and if you're not interested you can simply ignore it?

Edit: I think this concept is ludicrous, but can also ignore things that don't interest me.
kbassil
AG
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

So they email this out thinking some people might be interested in listening, and if you're not interested you can simply ignore it?

Edit: I think this concept is ludicrous, but can also ignore things that don't interest me.

Orrrrr maybe we shouldn't be ok that the institution we pay/donate money to is sending us blatantly racist literature. Absolutely awful take.
txags92
AG

Isn't everybody saying that we can't ignore racism anymore? Well, this is straight up racism, and it infuriates me that our university not only funds people producing it, but likes it enough to think they ought to send it out to the rest of us.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Post the actual email. The whole thing. I don't believe TAMU would be stupid enough to put out something like that. I am hoping you paraphrased it and slanted it to get a response.
kbassil
AG
I literally highlighted and copy/pasted. I didn't change a single word. Will upload pics soon.
Builder93
AG

This is quite disturbing. Does everyone get a forum to talk about other ethnicities' ugliness? Can we discuss the idea that "race" doesn't exist? Is that allowed? There are lots of presuppositions inherent in this statement.
Kevin83
https://texags.com/forums/16

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
kbassil said:

Orrrrr maybe we shouldn't be ok that the institution we pay/donate money to is sending us blatantly racist literature. Absolutely awful take.

First step, burn your diploma. Second step, spam filter. I've been ignoring a&ms emails for 25 years.
C@LAg
staff locked the thread on F16 for no valid reason

There was a valid reason given why the thread was locked. - STAFF
Slicer97
AG

If you're interested, you're what's wrong with this country.

There's good folks, ****ty folks, and in-between folks. And they come in every shade, shape, and size in the spectrum. CRT is racist bull***** End of story.
Ornlu
AG
ToddyHill said:

Last time I checked, I am a Baby Boomer white guy who loves classic rock.

Does his mean I have to like Rap?

You will like what the party tells you to like Comrade!
Unemployed
AG
It's okay to be racist if you're not white.
kbassil
AG
The people demand proof, then I shall provide proof

https://ibb.co/NKxGdn9
https://ibb.co/Y8ZTfkt
https://ibb.co/jhgMpyc
https://ibb.co/kcwzvSS

It is a newsletter that links to the full article. This was the first portion of the newsletter, at the very start.
Jack Cheese
AG
Look at all yalls white fragility
kbassil
AG
Jack Cheese said:

Look at all yalls white fragility

Lol btch you don't even know what race I am or what my parents are. Colors/race shouldn't even be mentioned that's my whole point.
txags92
AG
What is amazing to me is that the university has just been sending out emails celebrating surpassing $4 billion dollars raised, and here they go sending out an email like this that is going to turn off that cash spigot and a make sure it stays off for a good long time. Just when I thought they had learned with the firing or suspending a couple of the other racists profs and had turned the corner, they go and do this. I feel sorry for all the current students working their phone banks and calling for donations, because they are going to be getting an earful.
boboguitar
AG
Have you tried not being white?
cisgenderedAggie
boboguitar said:

Have you tried not being white?

You mean like blackface?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

https://education.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Dear-White-People-Reimagining-Whiteness-In-the-Struggle-for-Racial-Equity.pdf

"Whiteness is Imperfection?"

What does this mean? Why point this out unless they think they're perfect?

"But it's OK to be white."
and this is clearly a problem they wish to change.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
This page is pretty fantastic as well.

https://education.tamu.edu/racial-microaggressions-explained/

MICROINSULTS
Microinsults are racist comments about a person of color's race or heritage.
"I will use myself as an example here, 'You are so articulate for a Black person', 'Why can't all Black people be like you?', 'Are you here to fulfill the diversity quota?', and the list goes on and on," James-Gallaway said.

So all the black guys on my high school basketball team need to apologize for their nonstop microinsults for yelling "you suck, white boy!" every time i missed a shot in a game 30 years ago?

Aggie
AG
WE WANT UNITY.............. but we're going to actually keep creating division

Gotta love where we are as a county !
Ag with kids
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

MICROINSULTS
"I will use myself as an example here, 'You are so articulate for a Black person', 'Why can't all Black people be like you?', 'Are you here to fulfill the diversity quota?', and the list goes on and on," James-Gallaway said.

So all the black guys on my high school basketball team need to apologize for their nonstop microinsults for yelling "you suck, white boy!" every time i missed a shot in a game 30 years ago?

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man."

Obviously not a microinsult....
hbc07
AG
Let me tell y'all what it's like,
Being male, middle-class and white.
It's a *****, if you don't believe, listen up to my new CD.
I got **** running thought my brain,
It's so intense that I can't explain.
All alone in my white-boy pain,
Shake your booty while the band complains.
I'm rockin' the suburbs, just like Michael Jackson did,
I'm rockin' the suburbs, except that he was talented.
I'm rockin' the suburbs, I take the checks and face the facts,
That some producer with computers fixes all my ****ty tracks.
I'm pissed off, but I'm too polite,
When people break in the McDonald's line.
Mom and Dad you made me so uptight,
I'm gonna cuss on the mic tonight.
I don't know how much I can take,
Girl, give me something I can break.
I'm rockin' the suburbs, just like Quiet Riot did,
I'm rockin' the suburbs, except that they were talented.
I'm rockin' the suburbs, I take the cheques and face the facts,
In a haze these days, I pull up to the stop light,
I can feel that something's not right.
I can feel that someone's blasting me with hate,
And bass, sending dirty vibes my way.
Cause my Great, Great, Great, Great, Grandad,
Made someone's Great, Great, Great, Great Grandaddies slaves.
It wasn't my idea, it wasn't my idea, never was my idea.
I just drove to the store for some Preparation-H.
y'all don't know what it's like, being male, middle-class and white [Repeats]
It gets me real pissed off, it makes me want to say,
It gets me real pissed off and it makes me want to say,
It gets me real pissed off and it makes me want to say,
****!
Just like Jon Bon Jovi did, I'm rockin' the suburbs,
Except that he was talented, I'm rockin' the suburbs.
I take the checks and face the facts,
These days, yeah-yeah, I'm rockin' the suburbs,
Yeah-yeah, I'm rockin' the suburbs, yeah-yeah.
You'd better look out, because I'm gonna say **** [Repeats]
wangus12
AG
I kinda think it's funny that they want to folks to unlearn their whiteness. Seems like with all the privileges that go with being white that we're accused of like having education and wealth, you'd want the other races to become "more" white
HarleySpoon
AG
wangus12 said:

I kinda think it's funny that they want to folks to unlearn their whiteness. Seems like with all the privileges that go with being white that we're accused of like having education and wealth, you'd want the other races to become "more" white
You forgot Fathers Day.
TXAG 05
AG
Ag with kids said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

MICROINSULTS

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man."

Obviously not a microinsult....

First thing I thought of.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I thought microinsults were ***** jokes.
Talon2DSO
AG
Can't we just go back to thinking everyone is an ahole? So much easier when there are no victims and only a bunch of aholes.
jetch17
AG
Pipe down, a-hole
Ghost91
Is it okay to share how I dealt with Black Ugliness yesterday? Started by going to the grocery store and watching a Cadillac Escalade pull into the handicap parking spot despite not having the tag. Then 2 morbidly obese black women in their pajamas get out and waddle into the store. It was very very Black Ugliness.

Then I came home and turned on News At Noon and saw several stories of robbery, home invasions & murder in which the mug shots were all of black dudes with tattoos on their faces and necks and each had a rap sheet a mile long. That was my second exposure to #BlackUgliness yesterday.

It's all becoming too much. I wish I could help black people #reimagine their blackness.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.