Frugal Mom tips for the holidays

5,384 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Cramp00
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
  • Don't let your kids believe Santa is real so they understand that families with more money will have more presents
  • No presents have to be wrapped, but if they are 1 one type of paper or even newspaper works for all gifts of reasonable size.
  • Bicycles can be bought at garage sales, painted to look new with replaced tires for much less than a new one
  • Refill name brand cereal boxes with generic store brand. Same for mayo, ketchup, juice bottles, and bags of frozen chicken nuggets or french fries
  • Don't turn on the heater until it is below 60 in your home. Wear socks, ski caps, and sweaters.
  • Buy 1 or 2 gifts a month all year to cut down on wallet shock during November and December
  • Young kids need few to no expensive gifts. Items bought at thrift stores or facebook marketplace wrapped in colored paper and bows work. They will like the boxes and paper more anyway
  • Try to avoid gifts that require batteries unless you already have rechargeable batteries and the charger.
  • Egg nog is pointless. Just sweeten whole milk with vanilla sugar syrup and sprinkle with cinnamon
  • Aldis will probably have most of the items you need for an inexpensive but nice holiday dinner with family
  • If you find turkey or ham on sale, and have a freezer, buy as many as you can afford and freeze when it becomes more expensive months after the holidays
  • Use cabbage instead of lettuces for salads. Much cheaper
  • Save as much of the wrapping paper, bows, and bags for use next year
  • Dollar tree for stocking trinkets
BenFiasco14
AG
Quote:

Use cabbage instead of lettuces for salads. Much cheaper
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
MouthBQ98
AG
We re use gift bags unless some doofus writes on it instead of using a tag. Or we cover that up with a bigger new tag.
MouthBQ98
AG
Makes it coleslaw.
Ag with kids
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Quote:

Hell, go even cheaper and just use your grass clippings after mowing the yard.
Tanya 93
facebook groups are a world of information
King moto moto
AG
I give you a D- on this year's Christmas troll thread.

Ol Army 01 Post Boobs
Tanya 93
Sorry

It is what I can post
Satellite of Love
Tanya 93 said:

• Don't let your kids believe Santa is real so they understand that families with more money will have more presents

Or teach them Santa brings practical items and mom/dad give the cool awesome presents. That way they can learn that Santa does not choose who gets the awesome presents and who gets socks.
Satellite of Love
Ag with kids said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Quote:

Oh look at the rich person with their own yard and grass clippings.
mrad85
AG
My wife uses butcher paper for the grandkids to draw on and paint during the year. She keeps their artwork in rolls till Christmas and uses it for wrapping packages for the family. No, she is NOT frugal, but she's fairly crafty
Tanya 93
mrad85 said:

My wife uses butcher paper for the grandkids to draw on and paint during the year. She keeps their artwork in rolls till Christmas and uses it for wrapping packages for the family. No, she is NOT frugal, but she's fairly crafty
I like that one a lot

That is sweet holiday memories
UTExan
...or when spoiled grandkids come to visit and want the high priced cereals, you can save the empty boxes and fill with the Kroger brand generic.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
King moto moto
AG
Don't 99% of grandparents think their grandchildren are spoiled?
Ol Army 01 Post Boobs
30wedge
Don't live in a house, live under the river bridge. Saves on utilities, taxes, and insurance. Better connection with nature as well.
Quote:

Try to avoid gifts that require batteries unless you already have rechargeable batteries and the charger.

I figured these days, most mom's already have these for their own toys.
superunknown
AG
UTExan said:

...or when spoiled grandkids come to visit and want the high priced cereals, you can save the empty boxes and fill with the Kroger brand generic.

chill out there, moneybags. we can't all afford Kroger
george1992
Tanya, Is there a frugal mom equivalent to astroglide? Canola oil? I know that female plumbing can be very sensitive and bladder infections can hurt. But is a little pain worth the savings?
NoahAg
Tanya, I've been waiting for a Covid Frugal Moms post. Anything good?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

• Egg nog is pointless. Just sweeten whole milk with vanilla sugar syrup and sprinkle with cinnamon

Tanya 93
george1992 said:

Tanya, Is there a frugal mom equivalent to astroglide? Canola oil? I know that female plumbing can be very sensitive and bladder infections can hurt. But is a little pain worth the savings?
Yes

But I am not getting banned

Just google it

You probably have alternatives in your kitchen and bathroom
Tanya 93
NoahAg said:

Tanya, I've been waiting for a Covid Frugal Moms post. Anything good?
Frankly it has been a lot of patting themselves on the back

Family cloth means I have no need for tp
Buying 30 gallons of bleach at a time means we have no worries on sanitizing
We already homeschooled, but now we can pick up free lunch and breakfast
Made lots on tips having my toddlers help bring stuff to the door for instacart or grubhub (that facebook post got really heated and after 800 or so posts was deleted. But it was funny)
Bondag
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Quote:

It doubles as a free covid test.
Pirate04
AG
I'm actually in favor of a few of these, like this one.
Tanya 93 said:

• Buy 1 or 2 gifts a month all year to cut down on wallet shock during November and December

• UTExan
    King moto moto said:

Don't 99% of grandparents think their grandchildren are spoiled?

Yes. It is really about getting one over on them since their childhoods are about getting one over on the adults. I introduced grandkids to the Three Stooges; an action for which their father has never quite forgotten.
    It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
    “ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
    beanbean
    Tanya 93 said:

• Bicycles can be bought at garage sales, painted to look new with replaced tires for much less than a new one

Are the frugal moms themselves going to disassemble these bikes, strip the old paint, primer, and put a couple of new coats of paint on the frame without it looking like s***? Then reassemble everything? It's a lot harder than it sounds if you are aiming to make it "look new."
    superunknown
    AG
    Tanya 93 said:

Family cloth
    Ag with kids
    AG
    Tanya 93 said:

george1992 said:

Yes

But I am not getting banned

Just google it

You probably have alternatives in your kitchen and bathroom
    Ag with kids
    AG
    beanbean said:

Tanya 93 said:

Are the frugal moms themselves going to disassemble these bikes, strip the old paint, primer, and put a couple of new coats of paint on the frame without it looking like s***? Then reassemble everything? It's a lot harder than it sounds if you are aiming to make it "look new."
    No...

This is a project they will give to their husband and guilt him into finishing it.
    Tanya 93
    beanbean said:

Tanya 93 said:

Some of them are quite good because they refurbish as their side hustle for fun money

Others are going to be on the show "Nailed It"
    mrad85
    AG
    Ag with kids said:

beanbean said:

Tanya 93 said:

No...

This is a project they will give to their husband and guilt him into finishing it.

Damn. I must be the frugal one. Bought these for $5 and completely reworked.

Old RV Ag
    AG
    Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

That sums up the ENTIRE list
    Old RV Ag
    AG
    Ag with kids said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Quote:

Actually, dandelion leaves make a very fine salad
    hbc07
    AG
    Tanya 93 said:

Don't turn on the heater until it is below 60 in your home. Wear socks, ski caps, and sweaters.

There's being frugal, and then there's being a cheapass.
    Shakes the Clown
    Drown your children at birth that way you don't have bear all their expenses.

Has this been done?
    Last Page
    Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.