Why won't you go see a therapist?

7,409 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 30wedge
713nervy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is assuming that it has been suggested to you, asked of you, or crossed your mind at some point.

I cannot relate to refusing to go talk to a professional or refraining from seeking help in dealing with issues. Life is hard enough so I want the fastest route to recovery possible. I see it like doing my taxes - I didn't go to school to learn how to file my taxes, and I like having a professional with whom I can call for help. That way I don't have to be the SME in tax prep/filings/etc.

I'm curious why others refuse to seek professional help when it comes to mental health. My assumption is fear - fear of vulnerability and the fear of being judged - but I don't know.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Because I'm not a looney histrionic woman or a sissy boy
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Because I'm skilled enough to self-diagnose and smart enough to self medicate with copious amounts of alcohol, illicit drugs, and binging on 80s sitcoms for days on end.
Tatem
There's still a huge stigma around mental health.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I typically hate people in the first place. Having to talk to them just makes it worse.
Post removed:
by user
The Dirty Sock
713nervy
AG
Right - but why?
Talon2DSO
AG
I used to refuse. In fact, refused for many many years. It wasn't until recently that I finally discovered how amazing therapy can be. I'm an idiot for not going sooner
Tanya 93
Because the stigma is it is for losers who cannot control their feelings and emotions because they are weak.
Glad I got over that
TX04Aggie
AG
Same. And now can't recommend counseling/therapy enough to people. It was a life changer for me.
aglaohfour
AG
In my experience with two people who need therapy more than anyone I've ever known, it's a couple of things:

1) A very strong belief that it doesn't actually work because it's not "scientific."

2) Therapy is usually really painful in the beginning. There isn't a lot of incentive to keep going if the first couple of sessions just totally wreck you.

The second reason is what kept me from committing to consistent therapy for a while. I'd start with a therapist, go once or twice, and then give up because it was too painful. Then I found a great therapist who was super supportive through the difficult period of those initial sessions. He also called me out on my bull**** when I started to withdraw and wanted to cancel appointments early on and it made all the difference in the world.
TheArtistFormerlyKnownAs
It's always a woman who suggests someone else go see a therapist
MEEN Ag 05
AG
713nervy said:

Right - but why?
The same reason that if I walk into a room and see a circle of chairs I turn around and walk right out.
wangus12
AG
Because its typically expensive as hell
azul_rain
I concur op, I'm the type who wants to fix the problem ASAP. There is still a stigma that poor mental health means you're a loony
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
80s Guy
713nervy said:

Right - but why?

Because I walked into a Pysch class at A&M in the summer of 92 and found the PhD Candidate professor less than adequate. After going through the syllabus, she admitted that her mother and sister had committed suicide and she had attempted it twice.

I immediately volunteered to do 4 papers versus committing to her "research" project. Easiest A I ever got.

How is someone like this able to enter into academia? I can only imagine the damage she did to impressionable minds while at A&M and to anyone her students attempted to counsel over the years....
azul_rain
what does a psych prof have to do with going to a therapist ?
chiken
AG
wangus12 said:

Because its typically expensive as hell
it doesnt have to be. If you see a licensed professional counselor, its typically just your copay.
Cast Iron
It's not that I didn't go. It's that I went and didn't listen, which was most likely because I hadn't finished self destructing yet
cisgenderedAggie
The day is coming where the records will be used against you. Best to stay in my hole.
80s Guy
hedge said:

what does a psych prof have to do with going to a therapist ?

Where do therapists (Psychologists) come from?

If this lady was an example of average, I damn sure dont want to see Someone below average.....
azul_rain
she doesnt sound like a licensed counselor, just a college for life person
713nervy
AG
TheArtistFormerlyKnownAs said:

What does this add to the thread, or how is this addressing the OP?
713nervy
AG
MEEN Ag 05 said:

713nervy said:

Right - but why?
The same reason that if I walk into a room and see a circle of chairs I turn around and walk right out.

Because you're afraid of Duck, Duck, Goose? Explain.
Builder93
AG
You are familiar with this board, no?

Plus the statement wasn't far from the truth.

Nervy, shame is also one. Vulnerability is the most terrifying part to most I bet. However, if you have a group of friends with whom you can be completely vulnerable you are less likely to need therapy.
713nervy
AG
80s Guy said:

713nervy said:

Right - but why?

Because I walked into a Pysch class at A&M in the summer of 92 and found the PhD Candidate professor less than adequate. After going through the syllabus, she admitted that her mother and sister had committed suicide and she had attempted it twice.

I immediately volunteered to do 4 papers versus committing to her "research" project. Easiest A I ever got.

How is someone like this able to enter into academia? I can only imagine the damage she did to impressionable minds while at A&M and to anyone her students attempted to counsel over the years....

Wait a minute - you refuse to go to therapy because of a completely unrelated person from almost 30 years ago?

I'm sad that you're passing judgment over someone because of life components completely out of their control. We're all trying to make the best life out of the cards we've been dealt. Depression is a medical disease like any other. That's like telling someone they can't be a doctor because they have diabetes.
hbc07
AG
713nervy said:

MEEN Ag 05 said:

713nervy said:

Right - but why?

Because you're afraid of Duck, Duck, Goose? Explain.
713nervy
AG
SHAME! That's right!!! That's probably bigger than fear, especially for men. I forgot about that one!
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
713nervy said:

What does this add to the thread
Truth?
713nervy
AG
Nope
TheArtistFormerlyKnownAs
713nervy said:

Oh I guess I can't make an observation?
hbc07
AG

713nervy said:

Oh I guess I can't make an observation?
I thought we were in the trust tree, in the nest. Are we not?

Post removed:
by user
Claude!
It's alright for some people, but I don't think I'd care for it.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.