When you went to Gettysburg

3,464 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JABQ04
Slim Isle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did you see any ghosts run across the road?

Cramp00
Is that the Afghan or Iraq war? I get them confused
Ragoo
AG
No but it was very somber feeling
30wedge
Ragoo said:

I haven't been to Gettysburg yet, but I suspect somber is the word that will be how I feel. Have visited lots of battle sites, Tarawa, Belleau Wood, Flanders Field, areas along the Meuse-Argonne, and most of the American WWI cemeteries in France. Somber is the word I'd use to describe them all.
HollyB83
It's sad the Illegal aggressors won that battle.
FIDO*98*
AG
HollyB83 said:

The invading side lost that one
Slim Isle
I totally agree always somber...

But I saw a video... there were possibly some ghosts walking across the road. Let's stay on topic, okay?
Mathguy64
AG
Ragoo said:

When you stand on Cemetery Ridge and look out over that valley floor to the far ridge that the Confederates held and imagine the bravery it took to come across that low ground and the fact that some actually made it up to breach the Northern line, you are humbled. Forget the North versus South politics, just stand there and think of what it took to make that charge.

Somber indeed.
wbt5845
AG
Two places I thought I could feel the ghosts.

Devil's Den - you can easily imagine the kill box that place was. It looked like good coverage for the Rebs coming from the west but you were a dead man once you got in there.

Little Round Top - I know modern historians discount the 20th Maine and Col. Joshua Chamberlain for their actions here on the 2nd day of the battle. But that place very likely was the spot the Union was saved. The next 150 years of human history would likely be very different had the 20th Maine not repelled the 15th Alabama on that site.
Slim Isle
I usually talk to the people at the front desk right away and they direct me to the very field where my ancestors fought. Just tell them where they came from and who they were with. That's always a chilling feeling standing there looking and wondering what it would have been like. Pea Ridge, Shiloh, Vicksburg, Gettysburg on and on..
aglaohfour
AG
I've never seen one, but I have a friend who lives in a part of Georgia where there are battlefields. I've been riding or driving there several times and had the automatic brakes activate for no reason - it's happened in different vehicles on different stretches of road. Her neighbors told me it happens to them frequently too. They swear that it's because of ghosts crossing the roads.
Shakes the Clown
I've been "studying" paranormal for about 6 years, this is the best Confederate ghost video I've ever seen.

appears at 1:50 mark
Mathguy64
AG
wbt5845 said:

Two places I thought I could feel the ghosts.

Devil's Den - you can easily imagine the kill box that place was. It looked like good coverage for the Rebs coming from the west but you were a dead man once you got in there.

Little Round Top - I know modern historians discount the 20th Maine and Col. Joshua Chamberlain for their actions here on the 2nd day of the battle. But that place very likely was the spot the Union was saved. The next 150 years of human history would likely be very different had the 20th Maine not repelled the 15th Alabama on that site.
Yep. If the Union loses Little Round Top on day 2 the Confederates hold that high ground day 3 and can pummel the ridge below them with artillery and break the Union. It was hand to hand and bayonet defense by the Union.
Dumpster Fire
Shakes the Clown said:

I've been "studying" paranormal for about 6 years, this is the best Confederate ghost video I've ever seen.

appears at 1:50 mark

Edit: NM. Blow the video up to full-screen to see it.
CoachtobeNamed$$$
HollyB83 said:

I like it. What you said.
Slim Isle
I can easily see -If you can't see it, you just don't want to see it.
goodAg80
AG
This is what I saw.

Wearer of the Ring
AG
I've seen the ghost light on Bragg Road. Does that count?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Wearer of the Ring said:

I've seen the ghost light on Bragg Road. Does that count?

Pure Southeast Texas.

Looked it up on google maps recently and saw they actually renamed it the Ghost Light Road or something. Guess that counts as tourism once you get away from the bright lights of Tarkington or Honey Island.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Ghosts aren't real. Grow up.
hcrt74
AG
My wife & I were on the grounds near the visitor center at the Vicksburg National Battlefield site recently. While walking around and taking a few pictures, we starting smelling gunpowder. Looked around and couldn't figure out what would cause the smell to take place. Kind of eerie.
Old Tom Morris
Maybe all the gunpowder
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Did yall have eggs for breakfast?
goodAg80
AG
Harry Lime said:

Did yall have eggs for breakfast?
Honest honey, someone shot a gun.
ham98
HollyB83 said:

That's Lee's fault. He replaced Stonewall Jackson with Ewell. If he had replaced him with Longstreet the Confederates would have won that battle
hcrt74
AG
The reason we thought the gunpowder smell was odd was, at the time that we were visiting, the park was closed due to covid-19. The few people that were there were only walking around by the visitor center and the entrance reading markers, taking pictures, etc. That's why we thought the smell of gunpowder out of nowhere was unexpected. Maybe there was a ghostly battle taking place, in reference to the original post.
MAROON
AG
Roots86 said:

I can easily see -If you can't see it, you just don't want to see it.
looked like a Roman Gladiator. Didn't realize they had them in Pa.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
JABQ04
AG
Visited for the first time back in 2017. Got up to go on a run before daylight so I could be around Devils Den, LRT area at dawn to see if i could Get that cool ground hugging mist effect. Apparently 5 am is pretty well daylight there at the end of June. Going back next year. Want to walk Pickets Charge and also retrace the steps of my relatives in the 5th Texas from their step off point through Devils Den and up to LRT. Also distantly related to William C Oates of 15th Alabama fame.

Now I did experience some weird **** on the Pleasant Hill battlefield.

(Note I am an Uber history nerd and do civil war re-enacting when the world isn't all ****ed up and everything is shut down)
aglaohfour
AG
JABQ04 said:

Ummm, story, please?
wbt5845
AG
JABQ04 said:

Want to walk Pickets Charge and also retrace the steps of my relatives in the 5th Texas from their step off point through Devils Den and up to LRT.

That's some pretty serious hiking. Sounds like fun. My CSA ancestors were all out west, so did't have any units to trace when I went.
JABQ04
AG
aglaohfour said:

JABQ04 said:

Ummm, story, please?

Well shoot. Had a long message typed out but have ****ty service at work and it didn't take.

Did a re-enactment at Pleasant Hill, LA in 2005. Relatively small battle compared to more famous ones but largest battle fought wet of Mississippi River. During the battle a company of USCT gets caught in one of the ravines that are all over and even though they tried to surrender are all shot down (or so legend has it). Anyways, during re-enactment we sleep on a section of the original battlefield pretty close to some ravines and gulleys and near some original 1864 rifle pits and such. (They're only like shin deep now). Go to sleep. Wake up sometime at O-dark thirty to pee. Walk away from our group to the woods. As I'm taking a piss, all of a sudden all the nighttime nature ambience stops. The hair on the back of my neck stands up and then I hear what sounds like hundreds of people shuffling through the underbrush and leaves. (Think the sound of many people walking through leaves). Well it freaks me out, I finish peeing and haul ass to my bedroll and honest to god pull the blanket up over me. Wake up at daylight and ask if anybody else was out and about, heard anything similiar and nothing. Don't think it was anybody else either walking around in pitch black rough country. IIRC the date we re-enacted the battle was also the actual date of the battle. I dunno, scared me pretty good
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.