sports betting

3,102 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Holly Golightly
ifortworth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone here routinely bet on sports? Other than Aggies obviously.
Bush School/EMPSA '21
Cramp00
gambling is illegal and immoral

i have 3 books
ifortworth
Cramp00 said:

i have 3 books
Ha! With crypto, is it still "illegal" or just frowned upon?

Bush School/EMPSA '21
Cramp00
Is sex with a donkey legal if you pay it in crypto?
LPHA
AG
stevebuscemi.howdoyoudo/fellow.kids
GarlandAg2012
AG
ifortworth said:

Cramp00 said:

i have 3 books
Ha! With crypto, is it still "illegal" or just frowned upon?

I'm pretty sure it's in a grey area. I cash in and out with crypto so I feel like the risk is pretty low, especially cause my bankroll is sub $1k cause it's just for fun.
ClickClack
AG
Yep. Legal in my state since December. I should probably cash out but I just keep going.
Cramp00
In legal states do you have access to multiple books or how does that work?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Mine is through the State (Oregon).
ClickClack
AG
Fairly new here so just one book - draftkings

Works great though betting on my phone
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Cramp00 said:

Is sex with a donkey legal if you pay it in crypto?
Not what I was told.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
If you are in Texas I would highly advise you not to do it. Good friend of mine is in serious trouble with the IRS and is facing possible jail time
goodAg80
AG
G. hirsutum Ag said:

If you are in Texas I would highly advise you not to do it. Good friend of mine is in serious trouble with the IRS and is facing possible jail time
Is he in trouble for gambling or for not paying taxes on his winnings?

I
ifortworth
Yeah, because the supreme court ruled recently that the federal ban on sports betting was unconstitutional. It's up to the states to legalize it or not.
Bush School/EMPSA '21
GarryowenAg
AG
I'll never be in trouble with the IRS because I never win my bets.
ifortworth
Truff. But the next one will always win. Until it doesn't.
Bush School/EMPSA '21
TyHolden
AG
online betting is illegal?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Ultimately it's from not paying the taxes off of his gambling income. But he couldn't claim it because its illegal income. He reached a point that he had too much cash to spend and started depositing it slowly. Ended up doing some structured deposits and was fine until his exwife brought up "other income" in divorce court. Yes he was dumb but it's easy to lose sight of things
pbrancazio
AG
G. hirsutum Ag said:

Ultimately it's from not paying the taxes off of his gambling income. But he couldn't claim it because its illegal income. He reached a point that he had too much cash to spend and started depositing it slowly. Ended up doing some structured deposits and was fine until his exwife brought up "other income" in divorce court. Yes he was dumb but it's easy to lose sight of things
Not all gambling income is illegal. However recent changes in tax law eliminated the write-off of gambling losses that would offset gambling gains.
Cramp00
Didn't know that. Always knew I could write off my Lone Star Park losses but never wanted to actually know the number. That would ruin the fun
pbrancazio
AG
I haven't been to LSP yet but need to find a place to bet the Breeders Cup weekend in November. Retama is closer but they haven't posted a calendar for November. Usually head to Las Vegas for Breeders Cup but will pass on that this year.
ac04
G. hirsutum Ag said:

rookie mistake, you claim the gambling income even if it is illegal. nobody has ever been prosecuted for betting offshore, they only go after the books. plus the IRS is far more likely to take action and probably more powerful than whoever would theoretically go after someone for placing bets.
Saint Pablo
Why is online gambling illegal lol
PlanoAg98
AG
If I cannot claim my gambling losses, why should I have to claim my winnings?
ac04
you can claim losses, but only up to the amount of winnings. and only if you itemize and keep detailed records. so basically you can claim 0, but not negative.
Cramp00
Saint Pablo said:

Why is online gambling illegal lol

bc texas jesus god republican
but mostly political contributions from new mexico, oklahoma, louisiana to keep gambling illegal in texas
Post removed:
by user
Cramp00
You beat me to my edit
Gil Renard
AG
Hundreds of thousands bet On sports in Texas. That IRS story is an extreme outlier. Friend prob has more to the story
ac04
i think the more to the story is a vindictive ex wife
Holly Golightly
AG
pbrancazio said:

G. hirsutum Ag said:

Not all gambling income is illegal. However recent changes in tax law eliminated the write-off of gambling losses that would offset gambling gains.

This is not accurate. Gambling losses are not 2% misc deductions. You can claim them if you itemize your deductions but only up to the amount of gambling winnings.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.